E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Best way to buy a car on this forum when it's across country

09-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Best way to buy a car on this forum when it's across country

Hi Guys,

I've been looking on this forum and there is 2 cars I'm interested in. One is all the way across the country and won't be able to check it out in person. I plan on having the car PPI at either a local dealership or indy shop. Once everything looks good, what's the best way to facilitate the transaction? Should I fly out there in person or not?

Either way, I'll probably have the seller ship the car since it's on the east coast and I live in CA.

Looking for advice on how to buy a car across country. If you have any experience or recommendation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
andrewket
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible DCT

Do a search here and on the Internet. This has been discussed many, many times. The short answer is if there is any way for you to fly out there to inspect the car and conduct the transaction in person, do it. If not, get the inspection, and use a third-party escrow service. They hold on to your funds, the other party sends them the title. The car ships. Once you get the car, you call the escrow company and they send the seller the cash and you the title.

A
2010 Honda Civic LX
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Hi Guys,

I've been looking on this forum and there is 2 cars I'm interested in. One is all the way across the country and won't be able to check it out in person. I plan on having the car PPI at either a local dealership or indy shop. Once everything looks good, what's the best way to facilitate the transaction? Should I fly out there in person or not?

Either way, I'll probably have the seller ship the car since it's on the east coast and I live in CA.

Looking for advice on how to buy a car across country. If you have any experience or recommendation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
You might ask if a forum member is willing to look at the car and send you specific pictures. That might weed out a really bad car.

Then, ask on the regional forums about indy shops that might give it a good once over.

If it checks out, then fly out, do the deed and drive it back. No need to ship it. This time of year you can go cross country in five easy days and you canlearn about your car along the way.
Appreciate 0