ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
CraigLS1
Rep
Drives: LS1

Z4 handling

lets be honest, do you people like the way the z4 handles? I know all about the legendary bmw handling and steering feel, but after owning the z for a while whats everyone take on it? i heard its a little different from other bmws because the body is odly shaped with the long front end. i also heard the car tramlines ALOT, I can deal with that and its usually tire related, but still, this car is expensive and I would expect it to realyl handle out of the box..

opinions?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
Daveop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigLS1 View Post
lets be honest, do you people like the way the z4 handles? I know all about the legendary bmw handling and steering feel, but after owning the z for a while whats everyone take on it? i heard its a little different from other bmws because the body is odly shaped with the long front end. i also heard the car tramlines ALOT, I can deal with that and its usually tire related, but still, this car is expensive and I would expect it to realyl handle out of the box..

opinions?
Handling is very very subjective I've learned over the years. I can tell you compared to the E36/8 Z3 M coupe, the new one is light years ahead. Stock vs. stock there is no comparison in anyway shape or form. Then again the Z3 was an extremly flawed vehicle. The Z4 isnt without flaws as well, it something is a little jittery depending on the road conditions and you really need to toss the car to get maximal fun out of it. The car is much different from other BMWs where you can take a turn at 90mph and be half asleep and have no problems doing it. This is not that kind of car at all, thats more of a GT style of driving whereas the Z4 leans big time on the sportscar/roadster type of driving that brings alot of exhiliration with every moment and movement of the car. My guess is that the average driver (pro is a different story!) could take an M3 around the turns and around town a whole lot faster then a Z4 because of the confidence a traditional bmw coupe/sedan gives you. But the Z4 will do the same with alot more fun!!

Trammlining is there, those stock Z tires need to be one of the first things changed for a ton of reasons, and that will also get rid of your tramlining as well. Look into a set of Goodyear F1s which are fairly soft and dont squirm on the pavement much
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I've tracked my Z4 and a few other cars

handling on the Z4 is really very good

steering feel on the other hand leaves much to be desired.
I've found that my Z4 on the track is usually one of the faster cars around the corners and that I can hold my own against cars with much more HP due to the cornering advantage I have.

My Z4 is light years ahead of the old E36 M3 in terms of handling

the MZ4 on the other hand, that motor is too much weight on the nose... screws the balance all up
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
the MZ4 on the other hand, that motor is too much weight on the nose... screws the balance all up

You obviously don't have an M Coupe or have driven one long enough...the weight balance is absolutely perfect. Tonight for example...I took off from a stop light and a mustang appeared behind me after is settled down...apparently he wanted to race a little, so we both went into a 270 degree onramp turn, and I thought I should see how he corners and took it at about 55-60 and had both left hand tires losing traction about the same time with only slight corrections i kept the nose tracking well along the turn. Long story short, the mustang was WAAAAAYYYY behind me when we came out on the highway...poor guy...

So as far as the stock contis inducing understeer...never happens to me...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
You obviously don't have an M Coupe or have driven one long enough...the weight balance is absolutely perfect. Tonight for example...I took off from a stop light and a mustang appeared behind me after is settled down...apparently he wanted to race a little, so we both went into a 270 degree onramp turn, and I thought I should see how he corners and took it at about 55-60 and had both left hand tires losing traction about the same time with only slight corrections i kept the nose tracking well along the turn. Long story short, the mustang was WAAAAAYYYY behind me when we came out on the highway...poor guy...

Nice ! U'll only see an improvement moving to bridestones or Toyos, etc..

To the OP, I do think the Z4 is excellent handling, maybee not the best out there say compared to the Boxster. But I will say compared to other roadsters out there like the S2K, SLK, Miata it is a good head and shoulders ahead. With one comment, I think the S2k feels the absolute sharpest in its steering response. Probably because of its size/weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
fire-n-ice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

I'm no racecar driver, but from a layperson's perspective, I'd say it handles very well. Driving is never boring, and curves always make me smile. It is a two-handed vehicle, and steering is sensitive. I've never taken my Z on a long state-to-state drive so I can't comment on personal experience there. My primary vehicle is a truck and my Z is for fun.
And it IS fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post

I'm not sure how you think adding all that weight of that cast iron block doesn't hurt handling, especially with all that extra weight over the front wheels

I do see how the extra HP of the M would allow you to make the car rotate on throttle where a lower HP car wouldn't be able to do that. In skilled hands the M roadster/coupe have proven to be a match for a boxster/cayman S

take out the skilled driver part, and then the handling's not as good....

if you have great car control skills though, you can be really fast in an M coupe/roadster.

I personally found the extra weight on the nose to be a big negative on handling compared to my 3.0, but I certainly appreciated the power that M has.

beating a mustang around a corner is no big achievment, heck an X3 could probably hang with a mustang
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure how you think adding all that weight of that cast iron block doesn't hurt handling, especially with all that extra weight over the front wheels

I do see how the extra HP of the M would allow you to make the car rotate on throttle where a lower HP car wouldn't be able to do that. In skilled hands the M roadster/coupe have proven to be a match for a boxster/cayman S

take out the skilled driver part, and then the handling's not as good....

if you have great car control skills though, you can be really fast in an M coupe/roadster.

I personally found the extra weight on the nose to be a big negative on handling compared to my 3.0, but I certainly appreciated the power that M has.

beating a mustang around a corner is no big achievment, heck an X3 could probably hang with a mustang
It's ok if you dont' understand how it's possible, what you may feel to realize, is that the outside of the car is very similar to the Z4, but the suspension and chassis has more in common with the m3, but is even more balanced due to the z4 dimensions. Plus, the hydro steering is always a plus over the POS electrical steering in the non M versions
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep

the M version weighs more, and has the same amount of rubber under it as the standard Z4... the M is at a handling disadvantage based on that alone.

the E46 M was a capable car, but still... it's a big heavy sedan and not the pinnacle of handling at all.

The electric steering isn't very good (you can note I said that in the 3rd post in this thread, but the hydro version in the M cars still leaves much to be desired. Try out a Mini Cooper, or any Porsche (non SUV) if you're curious what good steering feels like.

the M versions are "twitchy" compared to the standard Z4 (and the Boxter/Cayman) and harder to drive close to the limit. I'm not alone in that, if you read any of the multitude of reviews of the M coupe/roadster vs the Porsches you'll see that many more agree with me.

After test driving the M roady, (with no salesperson mind you, so I had my way with her) I didn't like the handling at all. A good friend (boxster owner) mirrored my comments.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 03:34 AM   #10
Daveop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 BMWs

Quote:
the M version weighs more, and has the same amount of rubber under it as the standard Z4... the M is at a handling disadvantage based on that alone.

the E46 M was a capable car, but still... it's a big heavy sedan and not the pinnacle of handling at all.

The electric steering isn't very good (you can note I said that in the 3rd post in this thread, but the hydro version in the M cars still leaves much to be desired. Try out a Mini Cooper, or any Porsche (non SUV) if you're curious what good steering feels like.

the M versions are "twitchy" compared to the standard Z4 (and the Boxter/Cayman) and harder to drive close to the limit. I'm not alone in that, if you read any of the multitude of reviews of the M coupe/roadster vs the Porsches you'll see that many more agree with me.

After test driving the M roady, (with no salesperson mind you, so I had my way with her) I didn't like the handling at all. A good friend (boxster owner) mirrored my comments.

Most people say, and I agree, that the M Roadster/coupe aren't meant to handle like a GT car and so they may feel more twitchy, etc... I think the idea in the design of both these two cars was to provide for a fun drive above all else, this is a complete weekend car and it should act like one. The boxster wins universal praise for its handling abilities, but thats mostly because porsche figured out how to make a smaller midengine roadster drive like a GT car, its very cool minded and methodical, no fireworks at all to anything it oes. It almost feels like you are driving a 3-series with more road feedback, not a true roadster which needs to be absolutly tossed. The Z Roadster/coupe are close to that end of the margin.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I think what i boils down to is the simple fact that the M cars will be faster on the track than the standard Zs and the even the cayman and boxster. But as daily drivers, most people would enjoy the other cars since they are more refined...to each his own
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
ward
Major General
Rep

I'd be the first to agree that the M versions should be faster on the track, a lot of that is due to HP though. The porsche verisons are nice but are they 10-20 grand better.. that's a personal decision.

I bet many would say the twitchyness makes the M a more fun car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
fire-n-ice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

I like the sensitivity of my Z, and the bumpiness the rfts's give. Ya'll are right, to each his own. Everyone has their 'highs' and things they get off on. I like bumpy rides and sensitive steering - go figure.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #14
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-n-ice View Post
I like the sensitivity of my Z, and the bumpiness the rfts's give. Ya'll are right, to each his own. Everyone has their 'highs' and things they get off on. I like bumpy rides and sensitive steering - go figure.
In the end I bet germans with their ice smooth roads will think the M roadster/coupe is the best handling thing out there, whereas americans/brits are going to say its a bit more of a backbreaking and jittery drive compared to an S2k or boxster

agreed with ward tho, that the porsche for another 10-20 more (especially a cayman!) is just not worth the small difference/improvement in the drive
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

ice smooth roads...you've never been to germany have you...those guys will put a hole in road anywhere...just to give people something to do
Appreciate 0