E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can I do CDV delete

09-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Can I do CDV delete

I am planning to do the CDV delete this weekend, but I would like to do it for free so I do not have to buy the CDV mod (which I do not need anyhow since the car is out of warranty) or the power brake bleeder and brake fluid.

I know this can be done by just bleeding the clutch without adding fluid, but my question is do I have enough fluid in the system already?

I'm attaching pictures (taken with phone) for you guys to judge my situation. By the way, the fluid was changed last year under the maintenance plan.

I may as well ask this while creating this post, can anyone give me some advice for bleeding the clutch? I know the essentials, open valve > depress clutch, close valve > release clutch > repeat until no more air is exiting, but more information would be appreciated.

Sorry ahead of time for the large photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Just buy more brake fluid it isnt that expensive. Better to get all the bubbles out and lose fluid and replace it, than eithe half ass it or be low on fluid. Why not just buy some fluid?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
Just buy more brake fluid it isnt that expensive. Better to get all the bubbles out and lose fluid and replace it, than eithe half ass it or be low on fluid. Why not just buy some fluid?
Would I have to pressurize it or could I just pour it in? On the DIY guides everyone was using a pressure pump during the bleeding process.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

It is depress clutch, crack open bleeder, close bleeder, release clutch, repeat
you need two people and pick up some extra brake fluid to be safe
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregxi View Post
It is depress clutch, crack open bleeder, close bleeder, release clutch, repeat
you need two people and pick up some extra brake fluid to be safe
Thank you. I ordered brake fluid from tms last night, but can I put pour in the brake fluid or do I need to pressurize it since the brake and clutch have their own reservoir?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
I just did this a couple weeks ago and if you can make the switch reasonably quickly (i.e. having the line open for just a couple of minutes) you wont even have to bleed the clutch at all. I did have considerably more fluid in my resivoir to begin with. I would get some more fluid and top it off before hand and you should be fine. Check the manual for the proper type (I think its DOT 4)

As I recall its not good to mix certain kinds (it turned out we only had DOT 3 on hand when I did mine) and I dont think you are supposed to mix DOT 3 that with DOT 4 whereas DOT 3/4 is ok to mix with DOT 4. Just get some of the correct fluid and have it on hand, theres a good bet you wont have to bleed the clutch at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Thank you. I ordered brake fluid from tms last night, but can I put pour in the brake fluid or do I need to pressurize it since the brake and clutch have their own reservoir?
I am not sure I understand your question, the brake and clutch reservoirs are two separate pieces, you cannot pressurize the fluid yourself, just fill it to the max level and keep an eye on it while you bleed it
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

I think OP is under the impression that the fluid reservoir is under pressure with the bleeder tool.

@OP The reservoir is just that. It holds the fluid. The brake master cylinder is what applies the pressure in the lines. What you are doing with the bleeder tool is creating your own pressure to the whole system and sending any bubbles you may have introduced when you do the CDV delete, to the end of the line (bleeder valve).

Basically youre forcing all the fluid out the bleeder nipple and hopefully all the bubbles you have introduced. Once this is done the bleeder valve is closed up and you release the bleeder tool off the reservoir. Then you add fluid as needed to the level you need.

You are not "pressurizing" the brake fluid tank.

And yes the brake and clutch share the same fluid system and reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help everyone. Going to do it this weekend for sure. I have OEM DOT4 fluid on order so I have extra fluid before I do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Use a vise-grip wrapped in a towel to pinch the fluid line. This way you wont have fluid draining out when you disconnect it.
I did mine this way and never had to bleed clutch. Felt fine to me afterwards
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
Use a vise-grip wrapped in a towel to pinch the fluid line. This way you wont have fluid draining out when you disconnect it.
I did mine this way and never had to bleed clutch. Felt fine to me afterwards
I planned on pinching the line with a towel anyway, I just wanted to be safe. Even if you do this, you are still introducing air into a closed system so you should bleed it anyway.
Appreciate 0