E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW Perf. Suspension Kit feedback

09-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

BMW Perf. Suspension Kit feedback

Anybody with BMW perf. suspension kit feedback? My dealer is giving me a website price of $1420.91, I'm not sure about install price at their dealer (I'm in the bay area) but I'm sure it's pretty high an hour. I'll be going from a stock kit to perf. on a 328i sedan, any feedback?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I don't know what's included but I promise you aftermarket is cheaper and better depending on what you get. Regarding warranty, I haven't come across anyone who has had warranty work on their suspension, and I'd do it if I was looking for an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko kai View Post
Anybody with BMW perf. suspension kit feedback? My dealer is giving me a website price of $1420.91, I'm not sure about install price at their dealer (I'm in the bay area) but I'm sure it's pretty high an hour. I'll be going from a stock kit to perf. on a 328i sedan, any feedback?
Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com) will be lower. They're great guys, and have low prices. Email Evan Winstead, ewinstead@mileone.com, or you can PM him. He's a sponsoring member on this board.

Install at Sonic Motorsports or Trackstar racing in Mountain View. I go to Steve / Trackstar for everything, and he's really good.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com) will be lower. They're great guys, and have low prices. Email Evan Winstead, ewinstead@mileone.com, or you can PM him. He's a sponsoring member on this board.

Install at Sonic Motorsports or Trackstar racing in Mountain View. I go to Steve / Trackstar for everything, and he's really good.
Thanks a million dude I see alot of parts that here that I like and for a few hundred cheaper, how's the quality of the ride since you installed yours? You know how it is bumpy up on 880N past the coliseum towards Fruitvale? that one bumpy road/turn bump after bump, how does it compare when you drive there?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
jmeas
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328i Crimson

Garage List
2007 328i e92  [5.50]
ive got a oem bmw sports suspension (springs/struts/shocks) from my 07 e92 for sale. let me know if you're interested. looking to move these out of the garage and can sell them for dirt cheap
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a million dude I see alot of parts that here that I like and for a few hundred cheaper, how's the quality of the ride since you installed yours? You know how it is bumpy up on 880N past the coliseum towards Fruitvale? that one bumpy road/turn bump after bump, how does it compare when you drive there?
I bought the "version 1" kit and I'm actually unhappy with it. I think the version 2 kit that you're considering is likely to be better, because it includes matched shocks and springs. I think the reason I'm unhappy is that I didn't match correctly. My car gets upset over every bump. It's really bad. You should know that the Performance front spring is 35% stiffer than the ZSP. It's a big jump.

I'm a fan of how the M3 is set up, so I will suggest an alternative to what you're planning. The M3 uses a stiffer rear sway bar, and slightly stiffer rear springs than the Performance package, making the car neutral steer. What I'm working on now, is transferring M3 spring rates, sway bars, and shock valving to my car (328i). For shocks I use Bilstein HD, and I have to revalve the front to match the M3 shock curve.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.

Last edited by luckyu; 09-17-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda6

Dinan
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:

+100 i also goto steve at trackstar racing, he's excellent. my e90 330i has 100k miles on it now, and i would not have kept it after the OEM warranty if i hadn't lined up an indy shop like Trackstar.
      09-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
Dinan
Using the Dinan "stage" kits is actually a great suggestion, they're right there in Mountain View and can make sure everything's right. Prices for Dinan parts are usually very high.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda6

Quote:
Using the Dinan "stage" kits is actually a great suggestion, they're right there in Mountain View and can make sure everything's right. Prices for Dinan parts are usually very high.
There usually worth it though, If you get like a Stage one suspension. You get a some more things then just a typical suspension setup plus you'll be able to almost put the dinan emblem on your car anddddd they have great warranty.
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
I bought the "version 1" kit and I'm actually unhappy with it. I think the version 2 kit that you're considering is likely to be better, because it includes matched shocks and springs. I think the reason I'm unhappy is that I didn't match correctly. My car behaves gets upset over every bump. It's really bad. You should know that the Performance front spring is 35% stiffer than the ZSP. It's a big jump.

I'm a fan of how the M3 is set up, so I will suggest an alternative to what you're planning. The M3 uses a stiffer rear sway bar, and slightly stiffer rear springs than the Performance package, making the car neutral steer. What I'm working on now, is transferring M3 spring rates, sway bars, and shock valving to my car (328i). For shocks I use Bilstein HD, and I have to revalve the front to match the M3 shock curve.
Ahh but your version 1 kit aka Sports Suspension kit are they BMW OEM parts? Or were you mixing different brands with the set up? I would've hoped that the upgrade would be same as a stock suspension bump feel but for looks be lowered for sure.

Because I'm looking for the one inch drop from stock to performance while still keeping it all BMW OEM parts while maintaining a no bump feel ride especially for the wife. Just for the long run for myself all BMW parts but if I did want to go KW it would be after I paid off the car, warranty is all done and wanted to make it aggressive as ever.

So correct me if I'm wrong ZSP is version 1 kit = Sport Susp. kit, ZHP is version 2 kit = Perf. Susp. kit, and ZPP is premium package suspension *I just read that somewhere I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Ahh but your version 1 kit aka Sports Suspension kit are they BMW OEM parts? Or were you mixing different brands with the set up? I would've hoped that the upgrade would be same as a stock suspension bump feel but for looks be lowered for sure.

Because I'm looking for the one inch drop from stock to performance while still keeping it all BMW OEM parts while maintaining a no bump feel ride especially for the wife. Just for the long run for myself all BMW parts but if I did want to go KW it would be after I paid off the car, warranty is all done and wanted to make it aggressive as ever.

So correct me if I'm wrong ZSP is version 1 kit = Sport Susp. kit, ZHP is version 2 kit = Perf. Susp. kit, and ZPP is premium package suspension *I just read that somewhere I'm not sure.
Version 1 was an early version of the BMW Performance suspension, shocks only. BMW Performance springs were sold separately, by BMW. Now they're in the same kit (and hopefully work well together). ZSP is factory sports suspension. Yeah, KW and most coilovers are usually a big jump in terms of comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Version 1 was an early version of the BMW Performance suspension, shocks only. BMW Performance springs were sold separately, by BMW. Now they're in the same kit (and hopefully work well together). ZSP is factory sports suspension. Yeah, KW and most coilovers are usually a big jump in terms of comfort.
Oh ok, I'll try to ask the dealer if I installed the perf. susp. kit and didn't like it within how many miles or days, put me back on stock. Look for all possible roads of evil that are in the area and either be happy or sad. ahhhh I love modding!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata

I have the BMWPerformance suspension fitted to my LCI e90. It is the version 2 kit so
includes: front and rear springs (bmw perf yellow in colour), matched shocks, front antiroll bar.

I have posted impressions of it
previously if you search older posts... or just PM me and I would be happy to discuss it. I have driven on it for about a year now so have
had time to judge it.

Nutshell: i am very happy with the massive handling improvement over ZSP ... ride is very acceptable to me (and no passengers have ever found it harsh) but would be ideal with non-runflats of course, minimal body roll, much better turn-in feel, you can oversteer without feeling like a sloppy pig which is great exiting tight corners, etc. As a bonus, while lowering is mild it is absolutely noticeable versus stock so looks improve... fronts need SP perches to dial in perfectly level / slight rake though.

One minor quibble given all of above (and benefit of
warranty and dealer "blessing" so to spreak) is that rebound damping seems not quite high enough... big crests taken at speed can toss the car a bit too much as suspension unloads. That is about the only limitation i have found for a daily driven sports sedan. (Certainly stock
feels way too sloppy to me by comparison.).

I recommend it for those with new cars who are concerned about warranty. (If you are nearing end of
warranty i agree high quality damping rebound adjustable coilovers would be even better.)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
Exception
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90

Had it installed last month and have been very happy with it. I did not have sports package and I was looking for a small drop without killing the ride. Now body roll has largely been eliminated and no complaints so far from wife and passengers.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exception View Post
Had it installed last month and have been very happy with it. I did not have sports package and I was looking for a small drop without killing the ride. Now body roll has largely been eliminated and no complaints so far from wife and passengers.
So from your stock stance to perf. stance, about how many mm or inches did you drop? I can fit 2 fingers between the wheel gap for stock with 18inch rims 40 profile tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata

Drop from ZSP will be ~0.5". Drop from non-sport should thus be close to 1".
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #18
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

I installed this a few months ago and LOVE it. I actually bought Koni Sports (Yellows) and Eibach and changed up to go with the BMW performance b/c they were engineered to go together w/o question.

A short review.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552711
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Any pictures? anyone, close up views
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
+100 i also goto steve at trackstar racing, he's excellent. my e90 330i has 100k miles on it now, and i would not have kept it after the OEM warranty if i hadn't lined up an indy shop like Trackstar.
Nice to see a fellow Trackstar user!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #21
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefly View Post
Nutshell: i am very happy with the massive handling improvement over ZSP ...

One minor quibble given all of above (and benefit of
warranty and dealer "blessing" so to spreak) is that rebound damping seems not quite high enough... big crests taken at speed can toss the car a bit too much as suspension unloads. That is about the only limitation i have found for a daily driven sports sedan. (Certainly stock
feels way too sloppy to me by comparison.).
Hi Bluefly, your quibble is exactly the problem I've noticed. You describe it very well, it feels underdamped. I think what's happening is that the bump stops are adding significant (100+ lbs) spring on those highway crests, overwhelming the shocks and vaulting the car into the air. Raise the car 0.5" and/or shorten bump stops by 0.5", and I bet the problem will be drastically reduced.

(Bump stops must be shortened with care, because of coil bind and also the geometry may not be so good in front if you allow more compression.)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #22
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
Dinan
=1 on that

Dinan, even though more expensive, you keep you warranty, its better than what BMW has to offer, and you get a "LOWER" ride and better handling.

Also, you will not find a warranty with any other aftermarket company compared to what Dinan has to offer.
Appreciate 0