E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Recommended camber for AutoX?

09-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Recommended camber for AutoX?

Can anyone recommend camber settings for the E90 for AutoX events? I am currently on stock suspension, but I'd like to know what is the typical adjustability range for the suspension different applications (AutoX, track, street) BEFORE I purchase any parts.

Thanks for your time and help.
      09-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Can anyone recommend camber settings for the E90 for AutoX events? I am currently on stock suspension, but I'd like to know what is the typical adjustability range for the suspension different applications (AutoX, track, street) BEFORE I purchase any parts.

Thanks for your time and help.
Since you dont' have camber plates or other suspension mods there isn't much camber adjustment. You can remove the alignment pin and align for maximum camber with zero to 1/16" toe out on the front. oe rear alignment will be fine. This is all static....the oe bushings are so soft the alignment quickly goes out the window once you start going down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Thanks for the info. I pretty much knew all this and this is not what I was asking for... Perhaps I was not very clear with my question:

Lets say I have the ability to adjust the camber, toe and other suspension geometry angles to infinity. At certain point, I will reach the point of diminishing returns: any further changes to those angles produce no benefit and actually handling begins to degrade...

What I would like to know is: what is the biggest adjustment that I can make in angles (say from -1 to -5) that will produce the best results for AutoX and track without reaching the point of diminishing returns. ...or in other words: I don't want to purchase hardware that will allow me to adjust things to such extent that I am not going to be able to utilize it.

Are the Vorshlag camber plates the best? Can I get more adjustability from a different brand and is this necessary?

Please, understand that those questions are coming from a complete newbie when it comes to suspension adjustments. My only interaction with suspension components was to upgrade the suspension on my old Jetta with a cup kit and replace front suspension on my buddy's Mazda 3 with OEM components.
      09-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I pretty much knew all this and this is not what I was asking for... Perhaps I was not very clear with my question:

Lets say I have the ability to adjust the camber, toe and other suspension geometry angles to infinity. At certain point, I will reach the point of diminishing returns: any further changes to those angles produce no benefit and actually handling begins to degrade...

What I would like to know is: what is the biggest adjustment that I can make in angles (say from -1 to -5) that will produce the best results for AutoX and track without reaching the point of diminishing returns. ...or in other words: I don't want to purchase hardware that will allow me to adjust things to such extent that I am not going to be able to utilize it.

Are the Vorshlag camber plates the best? Can I get more adjustability from a different brand and is this necessary?

Please, understand that those questions are coming from a complete newbie when it comes to suspension adjustments. My only interaction with suspension components was to upgrade the suspension on my old Jetta with a cup kit and replace front suspension on my buddy's Mazda 3 with OEM components.
For Autox cross you will find yourself running as much camber as your suspension can allow, with or without camber plates(-3 is about as much as you will get with camber plates on a lowered car). You will need to mark your tires and take tire temps to really determine if you need more or less camber.

Vorshlag camber plates fit well and are very robust. You will not likely see more camber adjustment from one brand to another as the limiting factor is the diameter of the strut tower opening.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Thanks again for the input! I appreciate it.

What is the max camber/toe/etc.. adjustment angle that can be achieved on E90 and with what hardware?

Last edited by vasillalov; 09-14-2011 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again for the input! I appreciate it.

What is the max camber/toe/etc.. adjustment angle that can be achieved on E90 and with what hardware?
Vorshlag plates and M3 front wishbones.

Max camber about 0 to about -2.5 without lowering the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Vorshlag plates and M3 front wishbones.

Max camber about 0 to about -2.5 without lowering the car.
Great! That's kind of what I've managed to gather around from the forums.

Now the million dollar question (to me at least): is -2.5 degrees of camber TOO MUCH? Is -2.5 degrees anywhere near the "point of diminishing returns"?

EDIT:
Also, do the vorshlag camber plates increase the ride height? The Dinan ones do...
      09-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dinans "camber plates", which shouldnt even be considered a camber plate as it merely offsets the mounting points for -0.5 degree of fixed camber, only adds height as its stacked on top of the oem top hats. Think of it as a spacer. With aftermarket camber plates, most if not all are shorter then the oem top hat therefore reducing ride height.
      09-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great! That's kind of what I've managed to gather around from the forums.

Now the million dollar question (to me at least): is -2.5 degrees of camber TOO MUCH? Is -2.5 degrees anywhere near the "point of diminishing returns"?

EDIT:
Also, do the vorshlag camber plates increase the ride height? The Dinan ones do...
No, not for Autox. You will want to run less for street use, however.

No, Vorshlag plates do not increase ride height. The Dinan fixed plates will.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
No, not for Autox. You will want to run less for street use, however.

No, Vorshlag plates do not increase ride height. The Dinan fixed plates will.
Great! Exactly the answer I was hoping for!

Now a side question:

One of my AutoX friends drives a Z4M. He has vorshlag camber plates and he uses the car as a DD and for AutoX and track. When he gets to the track, he jacks the front, one corner at a time, and then adjusts the camber. He has put marks on his camber plates for stock settings and AutoX settings. When he gets to the AutoX event, he just switches between the two.

I like his method a lot because he gets to switch between stock and autox settings in less than 10 minutes, but I am bit concerned:

Is this a good practice? Is this recommended at all? Doesn't the toe and other angles change when you change the camber?

Thanks again for your time and patience with my newbie questions.
      09-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great! Exactly the answer I was hoping for!

Now a side question:

One of my AutoX friends drives a Z4M. He has vorshlag camber plates and he uses the car as a DD and for AutoX and track. When he gets to the track, he jacks the front, one corner at a time, and then adjusts the camber. He has put marks on his camber plates for stock settings and AutoX settings. When he gets to the AutoX event, he just switches between the two.

I like his method a lot because he gets to switch between stock and autox settings in less than 10 minutes, but I am bit concerned:

Is this a good practice? Is this recommended at all? Doesn't the toe and other angles change when you change the camber?

Thanks again for your time and patience with my newbie questions.
You will be able to do the same with the Vorshlag plates just as he did.

You will want to mark your street settings so you know where to come back to when you are done for the day at the Autox.

Toe will change, but in your favor. A street toe setting of 1/8" of total in will be slightly out moving from -1.0 camber to maximum camber.

Plates are good in stock when you are ready.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:

Plates are good in stock when you are ready.
It will be a MUCH MUCH bigger order than just plates. I'll be ordering full suspension, camber plates, and LSD. HPA is will be the place to get my business.

I am still at the information gathering stage for now. I want the car to be ready for the next season so I have all winter to do these mods.

Vasil