E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Alignment Q

09-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
TimmyG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe 6MT

Alignment Q

If you change to a slightly larger front tire with .2 inch taller O.D. does your car need to be put on an alignment rack? I'm thinking no.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Your alignment will change. By a lot? No.

It is typically recommended to get an alignment when you get a new set of tires, as the OD between worn and new tires is different. Adding more OD with a new tire will cause an even biggere difference vs. the stock worn tire. However, it really depends how anal you are regarding proper suspension settings and uniform tire wear.

It's not required, but recommended. You can install them and closely monitor tire wear for the first few hundred miles. Take measurements of the depths between inside and outside shoulder. If the handling is off or you observe some uneven wear, bring your car in right away to get aligned.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
TimmyG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe 6MT

Thanks. I recently got an alignment and it cost me a $188, an entire day and a 200 mile round trip to the nearest dealer. I'm trying to avoid getting another one, but if I buy new wheel/tires I want the treadwear to be uniform
Appreciate 0