E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Both AE's Failed At Same Time

09-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
osunut
OSUNUT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Both AE's Failed At Same Time

I have an 2006 330i E90. Back in the beginning of July I replaced my AE bulbs with the Mycarr LED brand since one of my originals burnt out. This past weekend the exterior light out warning came on on my dashboard. I checked and both the driver and passenger side AE's are out. I checked the fuse box behind the glove box but could not find any blown fuses for the lights. I am hoping the new bulbs have not failed already. I kind of doubt this though because both of them are out. Has anybody had this problem? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Hey Ant
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Please circle only one answer.

( Yes ) ( No ) | 1 .Does your LED bulbs have resistors?
( Yes ) ( No ) | 2 .Do your LED bulbs have warranty?
( Yes ) ( No ) | 3 .Do you still one of the OE AE bulbs?
( Yes ) ( No ) | 4. Did you check all your connections to your AE LED's?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your aftermarket LED AE's have resistors, check all of your connections that leads to the bulbs.

If your AE LED's don't have resistors, they require resistors.

If it is still not operating properly, try re-installing one of your OEM bulbs back in place and turn lighting system on to check if it works.

If it does, you have a defective aftermarket part. Contact the seller to replace with new part or get a refund, and buy from a trusted seller on the forums.

If it still doesn't, check your fuses again. Sometimes fuses will not show signs of wear and tear although it is blown. Replace it with the same fuse and check again.

Last edited by Hey Ant; 09-09-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
osunut
OSUNUT
United_States
Rep

Hey Ant thanks for the reply. I am not sure if they have resistors or not. The light assembly plugs into what looks like a transformer. Here is a link to what I have. http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e90-e92/l...e-upgrade.html
I think they have a one year warranty.
That was my next idea. To reinstall the one good original light I still have and see if it works. I just dread doing this because I have to remove a wheel and the inner fender lining to get to the light. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
osunut
OSUNUT
United_States
Rep

This evening I removed the passenger side wheel and inner fender liner and installed the one good original light I still have and it worked. I left it in and went ahead removed the newer driver side AE bulb and installed the blown original. I am going to call the seller tomorrow and see about sending them back and getting a refund. I will search the forums and see what brands are recommended and decide what to buy from there.
Appreciate 0