E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Windshield Washer tank and Meth... Question.

09-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Windshield Washer tank and Meth... Question.

I've looked, but haven't found the answer.

When using the WW tank, I've read the capacity is 1.5 gallons. However, unless it's empty, there's no way to tell how much you need to fill. What happens if you overfill the tank? Is there a drain somewhere? If so, where? Is it anywhere near the engine?

Normally, I would never add meth to a hot car. But for those of us who track their cars, it is a necessity and I would like to do so the safest way possible.

BTW, I cut a piece of cardboard that fits around the WW cap. When I fill the tank, it absorbs any splash that would otherwise hit the engine or worse yet, the turbo.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'm not sure what your asking. If you overfill it spills in the engine bay?

When you pour the meth in watch for it to fill in the neck and stop.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dan,

There is no drain on the WW tank. If you overfill, worst case scenario it will overflow out the top. My best advise is pour slowing and ALWAYS make sure you tie/tap down the cap so it doesn't pop open when driving (that's my largest fear). I've spilled some on the turbos in the past....with 50/50 mix nothing happened. Add some food coloring so you can see how far up the WW tank neck the mixture is.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
The WW tank does have a vent. I have filled meth all the way up to the cap many times and never seen meth actually come out of this vent. When I was cleaning the WW tank filter I noticed it. If meth were to theoretically flow out this vent it would drain into the fender area away from the engine. But again I've never seen any meth come out of this vent. Or maybe it is coming out the vent and I cannot see it. Either way I've never really worried about it and I sometimes run 100% meth. Hope that helps?

(410whp 445ft/lbs | DCI + Meth Only)
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Flash | Vishnu PWM Meth Kit | Vishnu DCI| Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Even if you see fluid in the filler hose the tank is NOT necessarily full, due to the height of each.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/z/d/305.png

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/z/i/247.png

Man, I still don't know how to add pics without attaching them.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
I've looked, but haven't found the answer.

When using the WW tank, I've read the capacity is 1.5 gallons. However, unless it's empty, there's no way to tell how much you need to fill. What happens if you overfill the tank? Is there a drain somewhere? If so, where? Is it anywhere near the engine?

Normally, I would never add meth to a hot car. But for those of us who track their cars, it is a necessity and I would like to do so the safest way possible.

BTW, I cut a piece of cardboard that fits around the WW cap. When I fill the tank, it absorbs any splash that would otherwise hit the engine or worse yet, the turbo.
Yes definitely a drain...mine started pouring onto the ground just behind the passenger tire...the "neck" never completely filled up.
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Thank you fellas for the responses. I'm going to test it out now. We'll see what happens when I fill her up. And although I agree that I should pour in slow, I'm just thinking about worst case scenario.

I used a 5 gallon fuel jug. I can pour slow but what if the flex tube pulls out? What if I miscalculate and overfill? Blah Blah Blah. You get my point.

I hope hellblazer and 335i101 are right. If it drains into the wheel well. That would be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Okay, so here's my setup. I cut a spray bottle that fit PERFECTLY into the reservoir line.

Next, I cut 2 pieces of cardboard that fits around the narrowest section of the bottle. This absorbs any spray/accidental spill.

Next, I fill up until I hear splashing. You can see the fluid line right below the black portion of the reservoir cap. Meth never had overflow here.

What was the splashing? Meth pouring out just under the front of the rocker panel.

Now we know and knowing is half the battle.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so here's my setup. I cut a spray bottle that fit PERFECTLY into the reservoir line.
I just use a large funnel, no need for the cardboard either.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
I just use a large funnel, no need for the cardboard either.
I have a large funnel too but the its fat and wide and doesn't fit tight like this upside-down bottle. I have a long neck funnel too but then it sits so high I can't see inside. The only reason I'm using the cardboard is for safety. This will be at the track between sessions. Rather be safe than on fire. lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a large funnel too but the its fat and wide and doesn't fit tight like this upside-down bottle. I have a long neck funnel too but then it sits so high I can't see inside. The only reason I'm using the cardboard is for safety. This will be at the track between sessions. Rather be safe than on fire. lol.
Oh I agree....I was scared to put more in at our last Thunderhill event when my engine was blazing.

On anothe note, someone needs to come up with a locking WW cap. It is far too easy to pop off and in the event of a high G turn, fluid could easily push the cap off and spill over. I saw a very long time ago Terry had such a cap on one of his cars, not sure if he ever produced more.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Next, I cut 2 pieces of cardboard that fits around the narrowest section of the bottle. This absorbs any spray/accidental spill.

Next, I fill up until I hear splashing. You can see the fluid line right below the black portion of the reservoir cap. Meth never had overflow here.

What was the splashing? Meth pouring out just under the front of the rocker panel.

Now we know and knowing is half the battle.
I know a few gents who just had holes in the WW tank for whatever reason. Either leaking at the pumps or puncture. Who knows.

Mine sure as hell doesnt leak.

You might want to take it out and inspect.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep

Garage List
WAYYYYYY to much effort put into filling the tank with meth. I bought this 1.25 gallon water dispenser. I mix the meth and distilled water in this bottle. It has a little faucet at the bottom. You just place the faucet over the fill point on the WW tank and open the faucet. Takes only a few seconds and 0 spilling. I highly recommend this setup. It works flawlessly and is super easy. Plus you will never overfill because it only is 1.25 gallons.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I know a few gents who just had holes in the WW tank for whatever reason. Either leaking at the pumps or puncture. Who knows.

Have you tried to overfill like I did? I purposely poured in too much to see what would happen. I really doubt something is wrong but I will check at some point. I should mention that I was parked on a sloped driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-(ellblazer420 View Post
WAYYYYYY to much effort put into filling the tank with meth. I bought this 1.25 gallon water dispenser. I mix the meth and distilled water in this bottle. It has a little faucet at the bottom. You just place the faucet over the fill point on the WW tank and open the faucet. Takes only a few seconds and 0 spilling. I highly recommend this setup. It works flawlessly and is super easy. Plus you will never overfill because it only is 1.25 gallons.
Wow. That seems so much simpler. Lol. I'll go buy one of those. I will still use fuel jugs to purchase the methanol. But mixing in that container does look a whole lot easier. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

PS, you might consider putting some Warning stickers on the container. Wouldn't want someone to make a dumb mistake and ...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow. That seems so much simpler. Lol. I'll go buy one of those. I will still use fuel jugs to purchase the methanol. But mixing in that container does look a whole lot easier. Thanks!
Yea I still buy my meth in 5 gallon jugs and keep the distilled water in a 5 gallon jug. When I see the unhappy low washer fluid signal on the dash I just mix up some meth real quick in the back yard and I'm good to go. It was Rob and Shiv who gave me the idea to use the water dispenser.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried to overfill like I did? I purposely poured in too much to see what would happen. I really doubt something is wrong but I will check at some point. I should mention that I was parked on a sloped driveway.

First time i poured in 100% meth I overfilled it right out the top of the snout. I wasnt paying attention LOL.

Mine did not leak anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
PS, you might consider putting some Warning stickers on the container. Wouldn't want someone to make a dumb mistake and ...
Yea good call. I usually leave it outside next to my meth jug and water jug. I tell my fiance to not even go within 5 feet of it or she will go blind. HAHA after that she won't go near the stuff.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

Quote:

I found this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fastxtc...in/photostream

...a picture of our windshield pump (Part number 67126934159) with a leaking output...
Thats definitely something you don't wanna happen if you're gonna pump meth through it.

I'm glad having my explosive liquid in a safe container in the trunk...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
I found this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fastxtc...in/photostream

...a picture of our windshield pump (Part number 67126934159) with a leaking output...
Thats definitely something you don't wanna happen if you're gonna pump meth through it.

I'm glad having my explosive meth in a safe container in the trunk...
If mine leaked like that I would surely go back to a trunk setup. I honestly tried to get away from meth and just run straight pump gas but the car is too damn slow!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
max
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 2011 335is

Quote:
If mine leaked like that I would surely go back to a trunk setup. I honestly tried to get away from meth and just run straight pump gas but the car is too damn slow!
Jeff admit it, you're a "meth" addict!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
Jeff admit it, you're a "meth" addict!
Appreciate 0