E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Thoughts about AE install

09-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Silver

Thoughts about AE install

I just popped in the Lux AE's for my pre lci e93... I'm not to happy with them. the color is good, but i can't get over how the outer ring is dimmer than the inner, and i've been getting some error codes on my dash while driving, even though the lights are still operational. so, for the cost of the Lux's and just a bit more, I could get some OSS or LS3 lights, diy-ing the install.

Here are my questions I've been considering:

Which to get? My initial thoughts are LS3 v2, but i'm not sure of the cost of the OSS.

Blackout? Since I'll be doing this myself, I'm wondering what is used to blackout the headlight housing. I'm assuming it's a high temp paint or something, but does anyone know for sure? Also, the amber black out, is that just a spray tint? What kind?

On the lines of the blackout... I'll be having a black/silver theme (TiAg car), where possible the black is either carbon fiber or black vinyl. However, as I was checking out photo's of the blackout housings, it doesn't look too hard to pull some of the 3M Carbon vinyl throughout the housing, instead of just a flat black color. Has anyone done anything like this? What do you guys think about that type of install?

Error Codes. Do you guys that have OSS or LS3 get any? Error codes are a pain in my ass, and i'm not wanting any.

Anything else you guys think I should consider?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

any comments are welcome
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

I'm shocked you're getting error codes, are they bulb-out errors or door-open errors? If it's either of them, there must be some manufacturing defect that LUX will gladly fix.

But sadly, no plug and play product will get the rings totally even. It's not a design fault of LUX, but rather, a design fault of BMW's. No matter how much light you throw down that bulb holder, the inner ring will always be brighter than the outer--even with HID angel eye kits. Part of the reason that the E92 LCI angel eyes look even brighter is, of course, due to the ridiculously high output LED's they use, but also the fact that each individual angel eye ring gets its own light source (so there are 4 very high output LEDs, 2 per headlight, running the angel eyes). No matter what you throw at our headlights that's plug and play, the E92 LCI rings are just gonna be brighter.

Your best solution would be to go the OSS or LS3 route, or to try and do it yourself and build your own angel eye rings if you feel very confident in your abilities. The first guy built an automatic dimming system which is REALLY slick, if I end up doing this, I'm going to build something like that. (see http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567644 and http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567949)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

^ yeah, they are bulb out errors... but the lights still work. the code comes on for a few minutes, and then off again. 15 minutes later, the error is back on, and then off. quite annoying actually.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyjman View Post
^ yeah, they are bulb out errors... but the lights still work. the code comes on for a few minutes, and then off again. 15 minutes later, the error is back on, and then off. quite annoying actually.
OK, that is completely out-of-character for the LUX H8's. Get in touch with LUX (http://www.e90post.com/forums/member.php?u=111323 or @ LuxAngelEyes.com) and he will fix your problem. There might be a slight delay, I think he's still trying to catch up on orders due to a delay from Irene, but I assure you he will fix it.

Any further questions on angel eye setups, feel free to PM me)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

i've already messaged him, so I'm waiting for a response on that issue.

Any thoughts on the other questions I am asking?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i've already messaged him, so I'm waiting for a response on that issue.

Any thoughts on the other questions I am asking?
Sure, OSS will be approximately $500 for just the rings (he's a full service kind of guy, you send out headlights, he does what you want). If you wanna do LED turn signals of the super bright variety, that might add a little more (definitely do that, they're legitimately brighter than their halogen counterparts and a much more crisp blink); or any other options. However, its worth it.

If you want to black out the housing, just use high-temp black paint, and be very careful when you do it. Make sure to remove the lenses if you do, you don't want paint on those for sure. You could also try the carbon fiber vinyl, I'd use the Scotchprint 1080 carbon fiber because it's thinner and more flexible, albeit more of a semi-gloss than a flat look like Di-Noc.

I mean, you shouldn't be getting error codes with the LUX's. OSS and LS3 shouldn't be giving you error codes either. However, if in the off chance your car is really picky, coding out bulb check on the culprit bulbs is really simple, takes no more than 30 seconds, you just have to do it yourself or take it to someone who has the appropriate cable (can be acquired for about $100, and you can do so much more than just bulb-out's: close sunroof/roof with rain sensor, windows up/down with key fob, mirrors fold in/out with key fob...)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

does anyone have any experience with the diy? i don't want to send my lights, wait for the install, and pay 2-300 for this, when i can do it myself. if i take my time is this something i can do for the first time?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
msp2three35i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg/CR e92 335i

hey OP, i just got a set of LUX too and felt the same way as you, although i didn't get any error codes. They just didn't seem very bright or even distributed, even when i looked at it from 20 feet.

I had my mind made up to buy a set of ls3, but before i did I had my friend drive my car behind me while i drove his accord (it was around 10am with a slight overcast). WOW what a difference that makes. I couldn't stop starring in the review view mirror because they looked LCI good. The angle and distance really make a enormous difference in them. From any typical distance you would find yourself in a car, they look as good as they do in the pictures they advertise. When i realized this, I decided to keep them since 99% of the people would be seeing my car from another car. I highly suggest you have a friend drive your car behind you before you decide to swap them out. It was the difference maker for me.
      09-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

^ interesting thoughts... i doubt i'll feel the same, but worthy of a test run either way. thanks for the suggestion
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: Seats and a Steering Wheel

IDK about lux but most angel eyes dont appear even until you are eye level with the headlight itself.

If you arent happy with LUX the only solution is OSS for most people. Not worth it IMO.

These guys have an array of angel eye options for a fraction of the cost of most. http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwaneyledbu.html
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Where are you located? My thought with the errors is mostly likely due to the heat. We have a thermal cutoff built into our design that will make the LUX stop working briefly once it hits a certain temp. we do this to prevent damage to the components.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

^ sent you an email back...

what do you guys use to black out the corner light...?

what are your thoughts about a carbon look housing instead of blacked out... would it look badass, or ricey?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
mattyjman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

what do you use to black out the corner light...?

what are your thoughts about a carbon look housing instead of blacked out... would it look badass, or ricey?
anybody have thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0