E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PWM/Helix/DCI Holiday

09-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

PWM/Helix/DCI Holiday

Thanks to Robert at Vishnu for getting my 2.5 upgrade and meth kit to me by the weekend. I've had my Helix IC and DCI sitting around for over a year and a half and finally got around to putting them in this weekend, along with PWM and 2.5 Procede update. It had been as long since I was in the ECU box so I had to update the harness wiring for the 02 change here. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450494
and the PWM harness change.
The Helix IC was done on jackstands and required no cutting and amazingly it slid up and in on the first shot. Two sets of hands is a must, three is even handier.
60k miles on my car and only a few drops of oil in the OE IC, what a tiny piece of crap.
PWM kit was pretty straightforward. Hardest part for me was last connection on the charge pipe to the manifold hose, but with work it gets there.
I cleaned up the wiring and tubing with some extra loom I had laying around. Pictures attached. I'll post some logs later as I data logged the wrong channels. My user map settings were as suggested by Vishnu in PWM manual using 7-29 AT autotune map. We followed Procede instructions and she started up first time, well first time after realizing I forgot to hook up a power wire in the ecu box. After driving it all I can say is N54 and Vishnu is the gift that keeps on giving. This will be the 3rd or 4th time I've felt that the mod made the car feel brand new in an amazing way. The car is very, very, fast(kinda spooky fast on the top end, it never ends) and seamless in meth integration. Good job guys.

Happy is Happy
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy4nk8er View Post
The car is very, very, fast(kinda spooky fast on the top end, it never ends) and seamless in meth integration. Good job guys.
Just installed my PWM kit this weekend also and those are the exact terms I would use to describe the power delivery.

Top end just keeps on going and doesn't fade whatsoever, while the switch to the meth map is seamless.

Car is deceptively fast but at the same time so smooth.

Gotta agree that chargepipe is the hardest part of the install......but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Seems kinda pointless to use on the street doesn't it...you're in the triple digits without much thought at all. Car will be back to map 1 come Tuesday. Don't want to press my luck and end up with any tickets or in handcuffs
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy562 View Post
Seems kinda pointless to use on the street doesn't it...you're in the triple digits without much thought at all. Car will be back to map 1 come Tuesday. Don't want to press my luck and end up with any tickets or in handcuffs
Have to agree, it's like the first time I drove my son's SC Saleen Mustang at 500 rwhp (it's now mine) can't say I was scared but it just requires more attention and keeps your heart thumping at a different level. It's a serious ticket in the waiting if I keep flashing those meth lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Streets dried out enough to get a log with the following. I let it shift at redline.
FBO's except DP.
7-29 Autotune map
AT
92 octane
68 degree ambient
65 ut
0 ic
All DTC off.

The runs felt good, my gauge showed consistent max 17 psi pulls. I think the log looks OK but not sure what the meth flow drop out is at about 5500 and 6600 rpm. Anything look out of place on this log?
Attached Images

Last edited by happy4nk8er; 09-18-2011 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy562 View Post
Thats why they have Mexico or drag strips
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Streets dried out enough to get a log with the following. I let it shift at redline.
FBO's except DP.
7-29 Autotune map
AT
92 octane
68 degree ambient
65 ut
0 ic
All DTC off.

The runs felt good, my gauge showed consistent max 17 psi pulls. I think the log looks OK but not sure what the meth flow drop out is at about 5500 and 6600 rpm. Anything look out of place on this log?
Looks like we have nearly the same setup... FBO less downpipes. I felt just as you did after the install. Car feels great. Install was easy, just that charge pipe was a pita.

In fact, not to go off on a tagent but I thought we needed the Vishnu charge pipe as it originally had the pressure switch. Once I opened the package, I realized they made it completely separate meaning you could use any charge pipe. I realize there all supposed advantages for the large pipe but if I could do it over again, I would have gotten an easier to fit chargpipe. Live and learn.

I now must do some logs. Although the car feels great, I'm curious to see if I'm getting similar timing drops. Seems to be somewhat common. However, even if that's the case, I'm not worried. This car feels great as is. The olast power mod I need is downpipes but I vow to only do that when my warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Shiv any comments on meth drop out? Air bubbles? Should I back down to aggression level 1 from 2? I really don't want to run 17 psi without DP's I'm thinking.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'm running 16 psi without DP's.

Your meth flow doesn't look smooth and perhaps a little too low.....but it doesn't seem to affect your timing curve - that looks great!

I think the meth pump duty cycle should sit around 80 until close to redline when boost tapers off, then it probably drops a bit to compensate for less boost.

But that seems like a large drop in your pump duty cycle to me and it correlates to a simultaneous spike downwards in your meth flow.

Perhaps a partially clogged filter on the WW resovoir?

Here is my datalog from a couple of days ago.....but I am running a couple of degrees of ignition correction.

My meth flow seems a bit more stable than yours, but earlier last week, my flow rate looked pretty much like yours for a couple of days. I pulled the meth line off the pump and bridged the boost switch and it flowed just fine....so I pulled the injector nozzles and blew them out with some air and all has been good so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

no shots of the front mount!?

ALex
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I'm running 16 psi without DP's.

Your meth flow doesn't look smooth and perhaps a little too low.....but it doesn't seem to affect your timing curve - that looks great!

I think the meth pump duty cycle should sit around 80 until close to redline when boost tapers off, then it probably drops a bit to compensate for less boost.

But that seems like a large drop in your pump duty cycle to me and it correlates to a simultaneous spike downwards in your meth flow.

Perhaps a partially clogged filter on the WW resovoir?

Here is my datalog from a couple of days ago.....but I am running a couple of degrees of ignition correction.

My meth flow seems a bit more stable than yours, but earlier last week, my flow rate looked pretty much like yours for a couple of days. I pulled the meth line off the pump and bridged the boost switch and it flowed just fine....so I pulled the injector nozzles and blew them out with some air and all has been good so far.
That does look pretty good, I am going to check my filter and nozzles to make sure I don't have a restriction. Maybe I have the different version of flow turbine in the Vishnu flow sensor as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

I've been told by BMS when you install the DCI you need to make sure you measure the amount of pipe that gets inserted into the filter and that they're only in 1/2".

Maybe you cut them down or used different pipes entirely but in your pics they appear to be in very very far.
      09-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
I've been told by BMS when you install the DCI you need to make sure you measure the amount of pipe that gets inserted into the filter and that they're only in 1/2".

Maybe you cut them down or used different pipes entirely but in your pics they appear to be in very very far.
I used Vishnu DCI, so maybe they are different. I had to go that far to get it to fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

Quote:
I used Vishnu DCI, so maybe they are different. I had to go that far to get it to fit.
ah OK, typically when I'd seen someone say "DCI" they were BMS, I didn't know Vishnu had a product of the same name.