E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > problem with procede, engine malfuction dealer want $450 to reprogram

09-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92

problem with procede, engine malfuction dealer want $450 to reprogram

hi all,

my car is currently at dealer to look for problem that cause the engine malfunction, long crank and engine don't run. the SA called and said everything is fine, the problem is the tuning chip is dead/not working and interfere the ECU program and cause the engine wont start.

he asking $450 to remove the chip and reprogram/flash back to stock.

my question is can i just remove the procede by myself and without reprogram the ECU? (SA said no)

my concern is i have to tow it back for another $140 if i dont get it done by dealership and if the car is still dead i will spend another 140 to tow it back to dealer.

(i am sure that i connect the procede correctly and all connection are firm, as i already installed it more than a month)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

leave car at the dealer.. call vishnu and ask robert if he can send you another procede unit express... then go put it in yourself and if the problem is REALLY a dead tune then i suppose the car should start at that point.. that seems odd. the tune is dead? i mean its installed correctly right? especially the read power wire that goes into the green plastic circuit that powers the tune.. did you check over to make sure of that

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

i did check everything is connect firmly, i read other post too about the power connection and i plug it in correct slot and use electric tape to fasten the connection and my car could still run for a month.
Suddenly last week problem begin that engine dont run with long crank

i think if the procede out of power supply, the car would not have crank at all, since the ECU is completely dead with no electricity running thru.

my situation is the engine still crank but don't run.

but can i just go to the dealer and take out or swap the procede on their lot? if so i would just remove the procede and see if the car could run without reprogram
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

sounds like a load of crap your being fed from the dealer IMO.
      09-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
leave car at the dealer.. call vishnu and ask robert if he can send you another procede unit express... then go put it in yourself and if the problem is REALLY a dead tune then i suppose the car should start at that point.. that seems odd. the tune is dead? i mean its installed correctly right? especially the read power wire that goes into the green plastic circuit that powers the tune.. did you check over to make sure of that
problem is that i doubt that would let me work on their lot
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by qclik View Post
problem is that i doubt that would let me work on their lot
its your car, take it off their lot
      09-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
plague
Captain
Rep

dude dont take their word. you can sit in that dealer lot all night if you had too. and if it is a problem, screw them, the dealer closes by what 5-6 pm on a saturday?? go there once theyre closed then... and your procede likely didnt just die.. im sure it almost seems that way and i must say, these dealers have NOoo clue how to touch these piggybacks etc, or anything outside of what they have on their computer or manual directing them. thats what it seems from my experience.

another thing. upon installing my PWM kit. there was a problem with supplying power to the procede. the car will still crank. in fact, it would start for me and idle very crazy and rev itself etc.. i slowwlly lost more and more power until it was dead tho. really look over the red cable and that the connections are being made well. take out the procede and reinstall it all over again. and flash back to stock? all you have to do it take out the procede and youre stock so idk what they mean by that.

have u tried starting the car with it it stock and with DME all back in place etc?

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Did you scan it for codes before taking to the dealer. A BT tool is a must for these cars....as essential as oil. Otherwise, its all guess work. My car displayed the same and turned out to be a blown 30 amp fuse not getting power to the dme relay. Car would crank only. On two occasions it fired up, but revs were all over the place. Thought for sure, the dme was fried
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
dude dont take their word. you can sit in that dealer lot all night if you had too. and if it is a problem, screw them, the dealer closes by what 5-6 pm on a saturday?? go there once theyre closed then... and your procede likely didnt just die.. im sure it almost seems that way and i must say, these dealers have NOoo clue how to touch these piggybacks etc, or anything outside of what they have on their computer or manual directing them. thats what it seems from my experience.

another thing. upon installing my PWM kit. there was a problem with supplying power to the procede. the car will still crank. in fact, it would start for me and idle very crazy and rev itself etc.. i slowwlly lost more and more power until it was dead tho. really look over the red cable and that the connections are being made well. take out the procede and reinstall it all over again. and flash back to stock? all you have to do it take out the procede and youre stock so idk what they mean by that.

have u tried starting the car with it it stock and with DME all back in place etc?
yeah i will call them to pull my car to the parking lot and have towing truck come by tonight to take it back, while i sneak in the lot with spare key and try to remove the procede tonight. There are no security or what and bunch of car just use it as free parking spot. maybe next day they check the security cam will see my ass working under the hood.

only thing i could think of is the pin from the green box is little bit bend because i force to push in the procede connector.

all i want now is just remove the procede and see if the car could run.

thanks for all advice
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy562 View Post
Did you scan it for codes before taking to the dealer. A BT tool is a must for these cars....as essential as oil. Otherwise, its all guess work. My car displayed the same and turned out to be a blown 30 amp fuse not getting power to the dme relay. Car would crank only. On two occasions it fired up, but revs were all over the place. Thought for sure, the dme was fried
i check all the fuse and no problem, and yeah i would buy a bt tool after this cause i have been searching for someone who has bt tool for the last week and have no luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qclik View Post
yeah i will call them to pull my car to the parking lot and have towing truck come by tonight to take it back, while i sneak in the lot with spare key and try to remove the procede tonight. There are no security or what and bunch of car just use it as free parking spot. maybe next day they check the security cam will see my ass working under the hood.

only thing i could think of is the pin from the green box is little bit bend because i force to push in the procede connector.

all i want now is just remove the procede and see if the car could run.

thanks for all advice
youre not breaking any laws by working on their lot.. no harm in it, ive been on lots myself when theyve been closed. and if you havent uninstalled the procede to see if that works yet thats your first move for sure. uninstall it. start the car.. if it starts, drive it home right then.. then id reinstall the procede really being sure of that red cable.. let us know how that goes.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I'm not sure what year 335i you have, but you may also have additional fuses in the dme area. It's that small black box between the dme and power connector. My black box was a relay, but in some cars it's a box containing 5 additional fuses. Good luck and keep us informed.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
s2k_335i
This is it!!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: FBO 335i without meth

This is the first time I heard proceed is bad... Must be a dealer bsing or the installation is incorrect some how...I been running proceed for a while now and I have not heard of the issue you indicated above.
      09-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

This is why the tune should always e removed before service.

I agree. Uninstall the Procede and see if the problem still occurs
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Just remove it... Tons of bs from the dealer...
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Dealers dont know how things function on this car with tunes and always blame them. You have caused yourself a diservice by leaving it in and now they know.

Best case scenario is remove the tune and hope they do the necessary repairs actually wrong with the car thereafter if any.

Tunes going bad is something i never heard of.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

just call the SA to told him pull my car out to lot, and was ready to pay the $130 diagnose fee that on the pre-invoice i signed, but he say will call me back with detail fee cause he say several hour of labor include. i think kiss my ass, what diagnose you do by just hook it up with computer and notice there are interfere between ECU and the chip. i am gonna fight this if he wants to charge me more than $150.

he also insist to do a reprogram and tell me think about the ECU as a HP printer that i need to reprogram the PC to adapt to it everytime plug it in or remove.

i am also out of warranty, that's why i am taking it in with the tune
i also don't believe the procede went wrong, maybe just the connection problem, will find out tonight
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Either your dealer is feeding you a load of crap to make $ or they are completely clueless. Either way, I wouldn't let them open my hood, yet alone work in my ECU. The tune is't a flash tune, so take it out and see if the car starts, there is absolutely no need to reporgram.

Go to the dealer, bring a 8mm 10 mm, flathead, and a small pick and take it out yourself.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #19
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Did the dealer scan for codes? Did you leave it on map 0?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #20
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Did the dealer scan for codes? Did you leave it on map 0?
i dont leave it on map 0 cause i dont know how to switch map without engine running. most likely they scan it because i tell them i suspect the problem to be hpfp related, so they must hook it up and read the code.

he also tell me other part are fine no problem at all, only the chip, if he telling the truth then i think if the chip is remove the car will run again. If they find the chip which cause the problem and stop digging for more problem then i will be out of luck to drive it back today

Last edited by qclik; 09-03-2011 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #21
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

damn it!!! The SA said lots of part are pull out from the car, and wont be able to put it as one piece back because they are closing now at 4:30. i am paying the cost of labor anyway so i tell him to pull out the chip since they opened the ECU anyway, as he was telling me there's a computer chip that he don't know what brand it is that cause the problem, and he is very sure that the only problem is on the chip, everything else are running normally.

lesson learned, i was too lazy to pull out the procede and suspect it was hpfp problem and get it tow to dealer. if i take out the procede first i would not have all this problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #22
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Guessing the the fact you didn't put the tune on Map 0 makes it impossible for the dealer to access the OBDII port. Only person to blame is the OP, sorry to say.