E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW "old" Performance dampers

09-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
rayguy24
the mod bug is crawling in my brain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 tiag aka "luna"

BMW "old" Performance dampers

Picked up a brand new set of the "old" OEM performance dampers yesterday for $390 shipped . I know Tischer had these heavily discounted ($190 shipped?) a while back but I missed out.

Anyways, still a really good price on a new set. My initial plan was to go w/o the shocks but then I realized that I overlooked that the Eibachs were close to the spring rate for OEM sport shocks and not my non-sport suspension.

So I just wanted your opinion on how these will be matched up with some Eibach pro-kits springs? I am also going to add SupremePower Lowering perches.

How comfortable can I expect the ride to be? Will my wife complain to me that my e90 no longer has the luxurious "float" bmw feel?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
AUChris9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

If you are looking for a smooth "float" like ride then I wouldn't install the performance dampers. They are very nice but you will feel the road more regardless of which springs you put on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
rayguy24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUChris9 View Post
If you are looking for a smooth "float" like ride then I wouldn't install the performance dampers. They are very nice but you will feel the road more regardless of which springs you put on the car.
Well, I've already thrown out the expectation having the same smooth ride given that I am lowering the car. I'm just looking for the lesser of extremes.

From what I've read, the Eibach's are the most conservative of the aftermarket springs for the drop I'm looking for. So then when it comes to the shocks, my main priority is to keep the car from bouncing all over the place which the OEM non-sport springs would do, and to avoid the car feeling really stiff as the koni yellows would produce. I have considered FSD's, but I have read mixed reviews. So I decided to go with the OEM performance dampers so well see how the combo works.

For the smooth feel, should FSD's have been my choice? Or would they be close to the ride I will get from the Performance dampers. I guess that's really the answer I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
AUChris9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

I have experience with the performance dampers but not with FSD's but based on what I've read you should like the Eibach's with your performance dampers as they are almost identical in spring rate to the sport springs which the perf dampers are designed to be paired with. FSD's would prob be a little smoother for everyday driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
do those folks (where you bought them) have more in stock? can you tell me where you bought them? thanks for any feedback on this
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Eibach and Koni have matched up the pro kit springs with the FSD dampers. Alot of people like that combo. Since you got older BMW perf dampers, I'd p/u a set of used or new BMW sport springs for which those dampers were designed. The ride is smoother with the first setup..
      09-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
rayguy24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
do those folks (where you bought them) have more in stock? can you tell me where you bought them? thanks for any feedback on this
Sorry, I'm not sure if he has more in stock. I found them on ebay lucked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Eibach and Koni have matched up the pro kit springs with the FSD dampers. Alot of people like that combo. Since you got older BMW perf dampers, I'd p/u a set of used or new BMW sport springs for which those dampers were designed. The ride is smoother with the first setup..
I see what you mean, but they pair them up with each other because they are both aftermarket companies. the dual marketing is good for both companies. Given that the Eibach's spring rate are near identical to the BMW sport springs (just a nicer drop) I don't think it would make a difference paired up with the Perfomance dampers.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayguy24 View Post

I see what you mean, but they pair them up with each other because they are both aftermarket companies. the dual marketing is good for both companies. Given that the Eibach's spring rate are near identical to the BMW sport springs (just a nicer drop) I don't think it would make a difference paired up with the Perfomance dampers.
Let us know how you like that combo..