E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > interior trim

09-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

interior trim

i need opinions guys, would you wrap the trim with carbon fiber di-noc or go for gloss black trim and suede accents as in shift boot and e brake handle. Im trying to decide between sporty and classy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep

anyone have any opinions at all lol
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Vesar
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 320i Ε92 M-Sport

Garage List
2007 BMW 320i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDeJ View Post
i need opinions guys, would you wrap the trim with carbon fiber di-noc or go for gloss black trim and suede accents as in shift boot and e brake handle. Im trying to decide between sporty and classy.
Hmm.. i think i like the gloss more than carbon in your car also with suede
shifting boot and handbrake boot will look sick!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

I would leave it with the wood for now and save the money to replace that nasty steering wheel with a sport/ M-sport/ or M3 wheel lol
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
I would leave it with the wood for now and save the money to replace that nasty steering wheel with a sport/ M-sport/ or M3 wheel lol
i want to get a sport wheel with paddles and wrap it with suede because i agree that my steering wheel is shitty
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Shitty is a term used nicely lol, I had a loaner earlier this week with that wheel and compared to my M sport wheel it was night and day...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I wrapped my wood trim with the 3M Di-Noc and absolutely love it! It changes the interior completely! I love the Di-Noc because it has that matte finish. I am personally not a fan of glossy interior trims.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Concerning the steering wheel... M-Sport wheel will bear the M insignia on it, which, of course, has no place in a non-M car. The Sport steering wheel is virtually identical to M-Sport one, but without the rice. One potential issue with the Sport wheel is that is has that aluminum trim on it (regardless of the car's interior trim type and color), although this should be easy to take care of.

Another issue with both Sport or M-Sport wheels is the instrument cluster visibility. The cluster was obviously designed with the standard steering wheel in mind. Depending on your height (more precisely, leg length and arm length and, therefore, the distance you normally sit from the steering wheel), both Sport or M-Sport wheels might block parts of the instrument cluster with its upper rim.

Nevertheless, from the driving point of view, the Sport steering wheels are certainly better than the standard one.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Vesar
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 320i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Concerning the steering wheel... M-Sport wheel will bear the M insignia on it, which, of course, has no place in a non-M car. The Sport steering wheel is virtually identical to M-Sport one, but without the rice. One potential issue with the Sport wheel is that is has that aluminum trim on it (regardless of the car's interior trim type and color), although this should be easy to take care of.

Another issue with both Sport or M-Sport wheels is the instrument cluster visibility. The cluster was obviously designed with the standard steering wheel in mind. Depending on your height (more precisely, leg length and arm length and, therefore, the distance you normally sit from the steering wheel), both Sport or M-Sport wheels might block parts of the instrument cluster with its upper rim.

Nevertheless, from the driving point of view, the Sport steering wheels are certainly better than the standard one.
I certainly dont agree with you because e9x has a racing character itself and if it didnt have the M sport package it will look like a classy car. You cant call Mtech package a rice cus it was designed by BMW who build this whole M thing M3 or M5 and decided to put some accessories in classic cars to make them more sporting (which is the character of BMW) for those who cant afford or dont want to spend thousands on petrol on their car.

About the steering wheel, BMW is a german automobile and spectates every piece of the car so as an owner of Msport steering wheel i have to say than i can clearly see the cluster, can see out of the window and can see this amazing design of the wheel that everyone wants to retrofit it and install it on their car

Here is a picture i found how your car will look with carbon vinyl
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Let me assure you they dont design the instrument cluster differently depending on what kind of steering wheel you have, if thats what you were even getting at...i have driven every variation of the e9X, 328's 335's, M3's with the exception of a convertible and everything is the same and i can fully see all of the gauges easily. And not all sport wheels have the alum trim, mine doesn't and neither does my friends 335
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesar View Post
I certainly dont agree with you because e9x has a racing character itself and if it didnt have the M sport package it will look like a classy car. You cant call Mtech package a rice cus it was designed by BMW who build this whole M thing M3 or M5 and decided to put some accessories in classic cars to make them more sporting (which is the character of BMW) for those who cant afford or dont want to spend thousands on petrol on their car.

About the steering wheel, BMW is a german automobile and spectates every piece of the car so as an owner of Msport steering wheel i have to say than i can clearly see the cluster, can see out of the window and can see this amazing design of the wheel that everyone wants to retrofit it and install it on their car
+1, im not putting an M3 badge on the trunk, the simple ///M logo is fine to put on any bmw and comes on a lot of non m cars from the factory
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Here is a picture i found how your car will look with carbon vinyl
that looks pretty good but i have to decide between that or standing out a bit and doing the gloss black and suede
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I certainly dont agree with you because e9x has a racing character itself and if it didnt have the M sport package it will look like a classy car...
Well, I also encounter BMW commercials on TV from time to time, but I don't really plug myself into all that "ultimate driving machine", "racing character" and other similar drivel. I personally don't think too highly of BMW's idea to offer M-Sport package on 3-series non-M cars (read: I consider it a schoolbook example of rice), but that's just my personal opinion.

As for the cluster visibility, as I explicitly stated above it will depend on how close one's eyes are to the steering wheel. There's no debate about the fact that for a tall person with properly adjusted seating position the smaller steering wheels does obstruct the view of the upper edge of the cluster.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
benzo23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDeJ View Post
that looks pretty good but i have to decide between that or standing out a bit and doing the gloss black and suede
I think that looks perfect, clean and sporty...to bad that guy didnt get the memo about a new wheel either lol
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I love it when people talk bullshit out of their ass lol.

Quote:
Concerning the steering wheel... M-Sport wheel will bear the M insignia on it, which, of course, has no place in a non-M car.
Fact: The M-sport wheel is part of the M-sport package that usually includes the antracite headliner, shadowline trim, intererior bits such as upgraded steering wheel, handbrake cover...etc) and exterior bits (revised bumpers + side skirts). The M-emblem comes straight from the factory, in some markets, cars with the factory m-sport package even have the "M" emblem adorning the trunk. So stop it with your ignorant "M emblem doesn't belong in a non-M car" statement, if you don't know jack, don't spew stuff from your ass.

Quote:
The Sport steering wheel is virtually identical to M-Sport one, but without the rice.
You mad? The M-sport steering wheel is not virtually identical to the regular sport steering wheel. The M-sport steering wheel is thicker than the regular sport steering wheel (same outer diameter, but thicker), and is made with nappa leather, not the hard leather on the sport steering wheel. The M-sport steering wheel is identical to the M3 steering wheel except 2 minor differences: 1: M3 has tri-colour stitching while M-sport has black stitching, and 2: M-sport is 1/2 perforated, 1/2 smooth leather while M3 is all smooth leather. Both are made from nappa leather.
      09-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me assure you they dont design the instrument cluster differently depending on what kind of steering wheel you have, if thats what you were even getting at...
Yeah, that's exactly what I said: they don't design the instrument cluster differently depending on what kind of steering wheel you have. And your point is?

Quote:
i have driven every variation of the e9X, 328's 335's, M3's with the exception of a convertible and everything is the same and i can fully see all of the gauges easily.
Well, great. As I said above, the visibility of the cluster will depend in the personal parameters of the driver. The closer you are to the steering wheel, the greater your field of view through the upper opening will be. I'm a tall person, so for my seat settings Sport steering wheel does obstruct the view of the top portion of the cluster.

Quote:
And not all sport wheels have the alum trim, mine doesn't and neither does my friends 335
Well, it might depend on the year, of course. In 2011 3-series lineup the OEM Sport steering wheel does have aluminum trim. It can be easily seen on the BMW web site.

Last edited by AndreyT; 09-02-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #17
Vesar
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 320i  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, I also encounter BMW commercials on TV from time to time, but I don't really plug myself into all that "ultimate driving machine", "racing character" and other similar drivel. I personally don't think too highly of BMW's idea to offer M-Sport package on 3-series non-M cars (read: I consider it a schoolbook example of rice), but that's just my personal opinion.

As for the cluster visibility, as I explicitly stated above it will depend on how close one's eyes are to the steering wheel. There's no debate about the fact that for a tall person with properly adjusted seating position the smaller steering wheels does obstruct the view of the upper edge of the cluster.
Ok its your opinion but i will tell you that. M sport package isnt only on 3 series, its on 5 series cabrio, touring, sedan, coupe, it was on e46,e36 and on many bmws. First of all m sport is cosmetic and a little bit of racing style, it only has stiffer suspension and thats it. How many times have you seen someone on the forum with mtech accessories on their stock e9x. Anyways its your opinion and its your car and you can do whatever you want to
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
I love it when people talk bullshit out of their ass lol.
I'm happy for you. (Well, let's just leave it here as an introduction to the general developmental level of the above poster.)

Quote:
Fact: The M-sport wheel is part of the M-sport package ... The M-emblem comes straight from the factory ... if you don't know jack, don't spew stuff from your ass.
Wow! As I said above, it is BMW that offers M-Sport package, which clearly means that "it comes from the factory". Now you are telling me that it comes from the factory? ORLY!!! No shit, Sherlock! Where did you get that undoubtedly highly classified intel?

(Meanwhile, I in no way consider the factory origin of M-Sport package a redeeming property. It's just marketing department catering to the ricey crowd.)

(If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago it was possible to order the M-Sport steering wheel without M badge. In fact, it was that way by default. One had to order the overlay with the badge separately. Is that the case to this day?)

Quote:
... in some markets, cars with the factory m-sport package even have the "M" emblem adorning the trunk ...
Exactly. Sigh...

Quote:
You mad? The M-sport steering wheel is not virtually identical to the regular sport steering wheel.
Get some English lessons on the meaning of the word "virtually". I made it rather clear, which specific parameters of the steering wheel I was talking about. I never said they are the same. (For one example, I explicitly stated that the current Sport wheel has aluminum trim, while the M-Sport one doesn't.)

Last edited by AndreyT; 09-02-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

I had mine wrapped in Carbon Fiber Vinyl and LOVE it! Swapped out my Sport Steering wheel for the M-tech and it's really a great upgrade. Added a performance Shift handle and an M3 iDrive control knob. Really like the overall effect!
      09-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

If you want to do carbon fiber vinyl, why not try carbon fiber fabric? A little harder to install (but not impossible), not quite as easy to remove (again, not impossible), but I think the end result looks noticeably better than Di-Noc. You should look in to it! But I think gloss black trim would look great, but if you're like me and you have iDrive , you're gonna see fingerprints all over that.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
... replace that nasty steering wheel with a sport/ M-sport/ or M3 wheel lol
AHAHAHAH i lol'd
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #22
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
I'm happy for you. (Well, let's just leave it here as an introduction to the general developmental level of the above poster.)

Wow! As I said above, it is BMW that offers M-Sport package, which clearly means that "it comes from the factory". Now you are telling me that it comes from the factory? ORLY!!! No shit, Sherlock! Where did you get that undoubtedly highly classified intel?

(Meanwhile, I in no way consider the factory origin of M-Sport package a redeeming property. It's just marketing department catering to the ricey crowd.)

(If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago it was possible to order the M-Sport steering wheel without M badge. In fact, it was that way by default. One had to order the overlay with the badge separately. Is that the case to this day?)

Exactly. Sigh...

Get some English lessons on the meaning of the word "virtually". I made it rather clear, which specific parameters of the steering wheel I was talking about. I never said they are the same. (For one example, I explicitly stated that the current Sport wheel has aluminum trim, while the M-Sport one doesn't.)
You sir, are a douche bag. Get some English lessons on that and get off your high horse.