E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW 1's Coil Overs

08-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Evooooo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 XI Sedan M Sport

KW 1's Coil Overs

Hey guys,

I just got my coil overs in & I am picking the car up this wk. I will be installing them this week end & I wanted to know if the install is a bitch. Im pretty handy when it comes to shit like this & have alot of very experienced mechanic friends so we shouldnt have too much trouble. Any pointers or things I should be aware of? Also I know I need to get the car aligned & what not, any particular specs which are best for tire wear/handeling? I want the car to be very responsive & stiff with super sensitive steering. Any help is much appreciated as I am new to the Beamer scene coming from the Evo scene.

Thanks

Evooooo
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Zero Toe all 4
Get as much negative camber as you can in the front. (it wont be much).

Otherwise the install is fairly straight forward. Just make sure you have a spring compressor.

Be careful removing stock suspension in the front its very tight.

If I remember correctly you need to swap some stock suspension pieces over to the KW's so an impact gun will help remove the top bolt of the strut tower.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

^^ what he said. getting the stock front struts out will be the biggest pain. tape up your fenders and use the compressors to make it easier. if you can't pull the strut out of the hub, use a 3/8" to 1/4" inch socket adapter - slip the 1/4 inch end in the gap where the pinch bolt goes, and turn. it spreads the collar just enough to make removing the strut it easy.

when doing the rear, undo the outer lower control arm bolt - not the inners. The inners control camber adjustment, so you'll most likely throw it off if you take those bolts out. and jack up the hub when you bolt it all back together (makes it easier)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Sean@PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Glad you went with the V1. Hope you enjoy it. Let us know how the install went!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Evooooo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 XI Sedan M Sport

Thanks for the responses & I look forward to checking out the stack these things provide. A write up will follow once all is said & done. Sean thanks again & I really appreciate you staying in touch with me about what was going on, amazing customer service!
Appreciate 0