E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > For you guys that track....

04-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
For you guys that track....

I'm thinking of doing some of the driving schools at Mid-Ohio. www.midohio.com

What would be some things I would need?

I'm sure I would need a helmet. Would a track rent these? Do I need to buy one? If so, open face, shielded face, brand, or whatever? I have no clue about helmets and whats good. I bumped around some sites and prices range from like $150-1,500 so that scares me haha.

I think they may provide some helmets from reading the site, but has anyone had any experience with rental helmets? Are they gross or not gross enough to require buying a helmet?

I really want to do the 3-day program but I hate how they are during the week.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i

i went to a motorcycle shop and bought a decent snell approved helmet with shielded face and seemed pretty decent quality for $109. i dont use it much, but its been fine for what i needed.
      04-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Adham
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Motorcycle helmets work fine for DE (Driver Education) events, but if you want to do anything more serious you'll have to spend more money and buy a proper auto racing helmet. I would suggest renting a helmet, and use a head-sock. If you want to purchase a helmet, do not do it online, you have to try them on because they all fit differently.

Pretty much anything you'll need besides a helmet you can find by asking almost anyone at the track with you. You'll find that people will be very friendly and you'll have lots in common. Oh, and leave your ego at home.
      04-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ok, right now all I think I want to do is maybe do some DE courses (mid ohio starts at around $600 using your own car)and some open track days as of now haha. I don't even know where I'd go to buy auto racing helmet? There are a lot of bike shops but no real auto racing places that I know of at least that would carry helmets.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 02:04 AM   #5
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Montego Blue

Buy at least a Snell M-rated helmet. For safety, as well as if you might want to autocross in the future. If you think you might want to do some wheel-to-wheel racing, go with an SA-rated helmet. FYI, M stands for motorcycle, SA stands for special application. The main differences are that the lining of the SA helmet is fire-resistant.

And yes, buy your own. And try them on - you will probably be alright trying on some helmets of the same brand, if not the exact model, because the helmets tend to have similar fit across the line. Like the way one Simpson fits and other Simpsons will probably be fine.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I just use a bicycle helmet .... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I'm thinking of doing some of the driving schools at Mid-Ohio. www.midohio.com

What would be some things I would need?

I'm sure I would need a helmet. Would a track rent these? Do I need to buy one? If so, open face, shielded face, brand, or whatever? I have no clue about helmets and whats good. I bumped around some sites and prices range from like $150-1,500 so that scares me haha.

I think they may provide some helmets from reading the site, but has anyone had any experience with rental helmets? Are they gross or not gross enough to require buying a helmet?

I really want to do the 3-day program but I hate how they are during the week.
I will do the usual response to this question...how many heads to you have...? You only got one on top of your shoulders, right..? Protect it with a decent helmet. I personally like the Bell M2...bought a Pyrotect one recently...and think the quality is not so hot..my next one will be a Bell M2 Pro. I like the M2 because of the wide eye outlet..so I can wear sunglasses or eyeglasses easier. It is a "SA" helmet..not an "M" for motorcycle use. I also recommend getting one in white color...black helmets bake your head if you happen to be in regions that get hot. The SR-Pro helmet is on closeout at saferacer.com for $289...I am gonna get the lighter M4 Pro next..but it is $559. You can buy helmets online for cheaper..but you dont get to try it on...and that is required if you ask me. BTW, someone's helmet that says 7 3/8" is NOT the same as another manufacturer that says 7 3/8". You must try them on to make sure. Arai helmets are usually for narrower heads...they look nice but dont fit my fat head. You can shop online at places like racerswholesale.com and saferacer.com. These are just two places..

Here is a link to the bell helmets at saferacer.com:

http://www.saferacer.com/bellhelmets.html

BTW, many venues have helmets to rent...so if this is just a one off thing for you..that may be best for you..check with organizers on that issue. Some of the rental helmets can be nasty...the Audi Club in Northern California has very nice ones..so that is kinda a hit or miss proposition. Good luck.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ok thats some good info so far. Now I was telling my gf of my plans and shes a major party pooper. She then says,"you really want to take your car to the track?", and "what if you damage your new rims?".

SO...have any of you damaged your car or broken a rim while at the track? I personally think it would be near impossible since most road courses have no wall on turns, at least at training courses such as mid-ohio of nelson ledges. But what are the chances?

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Ok thats some good info so far. Now I was telling my gf of my plans and shes a major party pooper. She then says,"you really want to take your car to the track?", and "what if you damage your new rims?".

SO...have any of you damaged your car or broken a rim while at the track? I personally think it would be near impossible since most road courses have no wall on turns, at least at training courses such as mid-ohio of nelson ledges. But what are the chances?
Darkcloud...with over 100 track days under my belt I have never done any damage to my rims...I even hit a few berms really hard and came out with nothing.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Montego Blue

Quote:
Remember that you're out there to have fun, it's NOT a race. You can have an awful lot of fun at 8 or 9 tenths. and if you're not pushing your limits, you're a whole lot less likely to do any damage.

Yes, I have damaged a car during a non-competitive event. Put it on its roof, in fact. But that's because I was never happy with the way I did a left-right-left complex in a competitive event a few weeks before, and was trying to figure it out. Should have just been having fun.

Richard
Appreciate 0