E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can NOT hit target boost. please read me lol.

08-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

Can NOT hit target boost. please read me lol.

Have installed PWM vishnu meth kit about 3 weeks ago. Have reviewed all of our steps and all appear just fine. ONE night, the second night driving the car, it spiked to 18lb consistently. The first night running it, it would not, and since then WILL NOT. We have been trouble shooting every possible idea but are left stumped. Not able to enjoy my new meth kit and its just been a tease and headache. Any help or ideas from anyone with any similar problem as this would be greatly appreciated... My meth lights DO come on and stay on properly. Meth is flowing fine. Map 4 parameters set as follows

7-29 maps and v5.2
Max boost: 18
Start boost: 75 (17.5)
IC: 0%
Meth mode: 1
Autotune: OFF
Injection Mode: 20
Using M1 methanol and distilled water at about 75/25 ratio
93 octane fuel always.

I am spiking at 16 right now tops.. No explanation as to why so i will now post what we have troubleshooted...

Things we've investigated/troubleshooted
1) Switched from stock bypass valves to my forge dv's AND to a friends forge dv's. Makes NO difference. So its not a matter of holding boost pressure or leaking there. The second night i had the kit when it WAS boosting right, it felt great, and i was actually using the stock bypass valves.

2) No boost leaks.. Checked every clamp, everything is on properly and snug and the clamps are tight as hell. Even went as far as to have car smoke test at the stealership..yes. And as i suspected, no leaks. Vacuum lines are good 2 go as well.

3) Was getting 3 codes related to throttle body which struck an SES , but those are no longer appearing at this point. Tested throttle body with bmw program and manually opened throttle body 50 and 100% and it worked perfectly so..

4) Robert sent me a Rev 2.5 procede which i put in the car today. This was taking a shot at it possibly being a freak issue with my procede. nope. car spiking at just barely 16psi still.

5) Swapped my friends harness into my car. Car still ran the same.. I guess not a harness issue...

Really could use some input at this point.. Why can i not hit the targets i am set at? Having no luck. thanks guys. any help would be nice.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle

Last edited by plague; 08-26-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Are you sure your meth kit is properly powered?
      08-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Are you sure your meth kit is properly powered?
well, lights come on, meth sprays etc. so it would appear so.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

datalogging is your friend... make sure you have WGDC, boost set point and if autotuning: aggression, autotune boost, autotune IC
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

After that very thorough process of elimination, the only things that come to mind might be the TMAP sensor itself being borderline, or the wastegate solenoids.

Those are all easy enough to swap out and are just another step in the chain of boost control.

Nice that Vishnu stepped up to the plate and sent you another procede
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

I do want to mention that starting boost of 17.5 and max boost of 18 doesn't give you a very big range. I thought you were always supposed to give yourself at least 1 psi range
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

+1..also if you autotuning off, it should never boost above your 17.5 setting anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
I do want to mention that starting boost of 17.5 and max boost of 18 doesn't give you a very big range. I thought you were always supposed to give yourself at least 1 psi range
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

Are you using a mechanical boost gauge, the Procede boost gauge, or a laptop?

i.e. How accurate is the gauge you are using?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
with autotuning off its not much of a matter i believe. im using fuel gauge (procede) as my gauge. its very accurate, has been for me at least. its not in my mind either, car feels no faster than pre meth right now. for the night when i was spiking to 18, there was a major difference in the butt dyno.. no mistaking in peeling through the first two gears and a tad of third. we do have some logs recorded as well. theyre posted in my other thread i could post them in here.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Brey335i
Banned
Rep

I agree that wouldn't be the cause of your problems. If the Procede went into some kind of safe mode or valet then boost would be far less than 16 psi or so.

Does the meth kit communicate with the Procede so that the tune doesn't allow full boost because of a lack of adequate meth flow?

Maybe something is impeding flow... other than that, I have no idea what is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

when it comes to power..autotuning can increase the power, as it will move boost and ignition up..with it off...you wont boost over 17.5 period...unless during an upshift it might spike above that for a split second, but you will not continue hit 18 throughout the rpm range because 17.5 is where you have it set. it will only go higher than that if you have autotune turned on, and even then it wont boost any higher than 18 since thats your max..hope you can understand what im saying!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
with autotuning off its not much of a matter i believe. im using fuel gauge (procede) as my gauge. its very accurate, has been for me at least. its not in my mind either, car feels no faster than pre meth right now. for the night when i was spiking to 18, there was a major difference in the butt dyno.. no mistaking in peeling through the first two gears and a tad of third. we do have some logs recorded as well. theyre posted in my other thread i could post them in here.
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw335i View Post
when it comes to power..autotuning can increase the power, as it will move boost and ignition up..with it off...you wont boost over 17.5 period...unless during an upshift it might spike above that for a split second, but you will not continue hit 18 throughout the rpm range because 17.5 is where you have it set. it will only go higher than that if you have autotune turned on, and even then it wont boost any higher than 18 since thats your max..hope you can understand what im saying!!!
yes i understand thanks. i can turn it on and give it a go but none the less, im still not hitting target or even hardly over 16 while set to 17.5.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
After that very thorough process of elimination, the only things that come to mind might be the TMAP sensor itself being borderline, or the wastegate solenoids.

Those are all easy enough to swap out and are just another step in the chain of boost control.

Nice that Vishnu stepped up to the plate and sent you another procede
maybe i need to look into those next. btw 23k miles on the car so it is fairly young.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I agree that wouldn't be the cause of your problems. If the Procede went into some kind of safe mode or valet then boost would be far less than 16 psi or so.

Does the meth kit communicate with the Procede so that the tune doesn't allow full boost because of a lack of adequate meth flow?

Maybe something is impeding flow... other than that, I have no idea what is wrong.
flow appears fine. i have tested flow into a bucket, it is fine. meth lights come on and stay on through WOT, and pulls over 3500 as they should.. so.. meth is spraying fine, i just cant hit boost targets...

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Post a log.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I think you are all looking at the wrong things.

Logs of Wastegate duty cycle would help.... the PROcede will only push the wastegate a small extra percentage to try to hit target and for safety reasons wont push any further.

It sounds like you have a boost leak if your not hitting target. Smoke tests are irrelvant as they offer no positive pressure. A leak at 0 PSI is different then a leak at 15+ PSI and that wont be found unless your smoke test is providing a 20+ PSI pressure test.

You should change your boost max to 18.5 PSI also.

Edit- You problem could also be the wastegates themselves.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 08-27-2011 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I think you are all looking at the wrong things.

Logs of Wastegate duty cycle would help.... the PROcede will only push the wastegate a small extra percentage to try to hit target and for safety reasons wont push any further.

It sounds like you have a boost leak if your not hitting target. Smoke tests are irrelvant as they offer no positive pressure. A leak at 0 PSI is different then a leak at 15+ PSI and that wont be found unless your smoke test is providing a 20+ PSI pressure test.

You should change your boost max to 18.5 PSI also.

Edit- You problem could also be the wastegates themselves.
my buddy has some logs, hes going to post them up in here. i really just dont think i have any leaks. we've looked over all connections that we could. and vaccuum lines look okay etc.. the one thing that really puzzles me is that it boosted perfectly for one day which was the second day after install.. the first day it was so inconsistent, all over the place.. hell i was boosting to 12-14 psi in 1-3rd gear then when i would shift into 4th WOT, boom id spike to 18psi..?? i really feel like there are no leaks.. im hitting 16psi and i was hitting over that for some time and holding around there okay, so it seems unlikely of a leak to me. there are no leaks at throttle body or charge pipe theyre extremely snug. as well as the upper IC elbow and dv hoses, all very snug. vacuum lines look good too. dont boost perfectly on map 1 either. i was staying a few psi lower. not a single issue like this before meth install or 7-29 or 7-11 maps. i will set my max to 18.5 on monday jeff, once this hurricane shit passes...

Last edited by plague; 08-27-2011 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Like I said maybe something is going on mechanically with the wastegates. Logs of the WGDC would help.

I hear ya.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Like I said maybe something is going on mechanically with the wastegates. Logs of the WGDC would help.

I hear ya.
so the wastegates having issues could cause me to not be able
to boost that high? car has 23k miles btw. even on map 1 im boosting lower than target. odd. and the fact that it boosted right one day and then hasnt since, odd as well. i will get WGDC logs when i get a chance. thanks jeff, im not the most car technical guy but am learning all i can. so the help is valuable for me.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #20
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Were you boosting ok without the tune?

Also you mentioned not boosting enough after loading the 7-xx maps.....have you tried loading the earlier maps and see if the boost is up to target?

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
so the wastegates having issues could cause me to not be able
to boost that high? car has 23k miles btw. even on map 1 im boosting lower than target. odd. and the fact that it boosted right one day and then hasnt since, odd as well. i will get WGDC logs when i get a chance. thanks jeff, im not the most car technical guy but am learning all i can. so the help is valuable for me.
IF you cant hold boost its either A) your tubo's B) wastegates C) Vac/boost leaks D) Tune

I find D not be the case as much as the others considering everyone else hits targets just fine.

These wastegates are primarily known for sticking but usually with more mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #22
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Wouldn't the procede throw under boost codes if it wasn't reaching target? That right there makes it seem like a firmware/software issue.
Appreciate 0