E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Advice on new sub/amp

08-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
BM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Advice on new sub/amp

I just bought a 2006 BMW 330i and love it! I have had sub/amp systems in all my cars before though so I am looking to add it in. Unfortunately best buy seems to think it is not possible because of the Logic7 sound system. I asked them to quote me on a Line out converter, amp, and sub install and they said due to the fact it is a "fiber optic" set up they wouldn't be able to do it and I would have to rewire the whole car. I know the factory amp/speakers are on a 3 ohm load so new interiors would be an issue but if I am correct, isn't a LOC just to splice in preamp outputs and the remote wire wouldn't be on a 3 ohm load, it is just a signal wire, right?

Anyway my question is, is it possible to do that? Would it cause a short in the factory head unit or any other problems? Any advice is greatly appreciate, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3 View Post
Unfortunately best buy seems to think it is not possible...
Well, congrats on the new car, and WTH are you doing taking it to Best Buy?

Based on your post, you know a little more than they do, but you're on the right forum to learn what you need to know. You can get a lot of info here. But do NOT go to BB to get anything done on a BMW. Seriously.

First, it can be done with no problems. Second, there is more than one way to do it.

We have a kit with a plug-in Logic 7 Technic harness modified for this application (i.e., no wiring to do, extensions already added), a 250W micro-sized amp that fits under the floor cover and has a fan for no overheating, a 10" subwoofer in an ORM-look corner-loading location, and every cable, wire, and part needed for a plug-and-play install. Best Buy could almost do it. Honestly, they could do it as long as they don't break any clips taking the trunk apart.

The package, ready to bolt in, is $895. If it's of interest to you, please email us off of the pic in my sign, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Great setup right there!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
kymedic25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 535 Platinum Grey

I got my setup from VP Electricity in the mail the other day and am waiting to get my car back from the shop to get it installed. I can't wait to hear it.

Jason
Premium, Sport, Stage 1 Eurocharged, OEM M-tech kit, DD CSL trunk lid, Smoked Blacklines, , Cyba 4 inch black chrome exhaust tips, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD, Morr VS8.2
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
BM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

That is an awesome set up and sounds pretty simple but I would like to add a 12 inch because of the kind of music I listen to. Also, $895 is a little more than I would like to spend on a single subwoofer and 250w amp. I do admit it is worth it considering the plug and play application but my pockets to no run that deep yet =P I guess I will have to call a audio shop to pick their brain to see if what I am trying to do is possible and safe to do with the factory head unit. Thanks for the replies and as always any more info is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
kymedic25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 535 Platinum Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3 View Post
Also, $895 is a little more than I would like to spend on a single subwoofer and 250w amp.
You have to remember the sub enclosure in the price and the look that it will give you in the trunk without taking up excess space.

Jason
Premium, Sport, Stage 1 Eurocharged, OEM M-tech kit, DD CSL trunk lid, Smoked Blacklines, , Cyba 4 inch black chrome exhaust tips, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD, Morr VS8.2
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Spy021
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Jet Blk/Blk/6mt

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
In addition, by side loading the sub, you will get somewhere between a 6db - 9db greater output. Which would make the single sub play as loud as many dual sub setups, all the while saving space. Doing such, you may find that a single 10" sub is more than enough.