E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Audio Tweeter swap question

08-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
davealvarez2000
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 XI

Audio Tweeter swap question

I recently installed a set of Boston Acoustics front component system in my car. I'm somewhat dissapointed in the quality of the tweeters. I was looking at ordering ONLY a new pair of Infinity Kappa tweeters to swap out the one's that came with the Boston Acoustics components. But then I realized the new pair of tweeters already come with a crossover. Remember that my current Boston Acoustics component system already has a crossover too so how do I wire the new set of tweeters (since they come with a crossover too)?

Option 1: Do I route the tweeters to crossovers to amp (but I don't have any channels left on my amp)?

Option 2: Do I route the tweeters to the already existing boston acoustics component crossover?

Thanks everyone,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davealvarez2000 View Post
I recently installed a set of Boston Acoustics front component system in my car. I'm somewhat dissapointed in the quality of the tweeters. I was looking at ordering ONLY a new pair of Infinity Kappa tweeters to swap out the one's that came with the Boston Acoustics components. But then I realized the new pair of tweeters already come with a crossover. Remember that my current Boston Acoustics component system already has a crossover too so how do I wire the new set of tweeters (since they come with a crossover too)?

Option 1: Do I route the tweeters to crossovers to amp (but I don't have any channels left on my amp)?

Option 2: Do I route the tweeters to the already existing boston acoustics component crossover?

Thanks everyone,
Dave
do you know the crossover point and slope for both?
it should say it somewhere in the manual or on the box
it would look like this
5000hz @ 12dB
or 5Khz @ 12dB

if the 2 are the same then you can safely swap the tweeters
basically it means that both crossovers filter out the lower frequencies at the at same exact point
but if one is say 3500hz and the other is 5000hz then your only other options to to attach the new tweeters crossover along with the existing crossover
you have at some point the OEM wire going into the existing crossover
you attach the new crossover at that point
so the + would go to the existing crossover, and another wire connected to the + of the new crossover
with the same deal on the - side
      08-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
davealvarez2000
Rep

I'm a little lost...so if it's not the same frequency, I attach the + to the new tweeter crossover then to the existing tweeter crossover + ? Or to the + that goes to the existing crossover to the amp? On my component system crossover there are 3 +'s (one positive for woofer, one positive for tweeter, one positive that goes to the aftermarket amp). See below what I have and was looking to get...

ere's my current component system:
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/PDFs/manuals/S50Man.pdf

Here's the tweeters I would like to get:
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-109T-...4210739&sr=1-1

Could I use the existing crossover and just swap the tweeters with what I have and want above? thanks man
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
problem is Boston Accoustics do not publish the crossover points for their speakers
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/%2FFAQs-C105.aspx#2
but the Infinitys go down to about 3500hz, so you should be ok

if you want to play it safe, you'd use the infinity crossover for the new tweeters
you would hook up the + from the infinity crossover to the + on the boston crossover that goes to amp
same with the -

basically its the same effect as connecting the 2 crossovers straight to the amp
but instead of running 2 runs of wires
you run 1 wire to one crossover, and a short piece of wire from there to the next crossover
      08-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
whats wrong with the boston tweeters?
too loud? not loud enough?
did you try to mess with the tweeter gain switch inside the boston crossover?
if its too loud go down to -4db or -2db etc
      08-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
davealvarez2000
Rep

Awesome, now I understand, thank you! Yes I have tried setting the tweeter gain inside the boston crossover and wasn't happy with it.

Long story short, I had a set of infinity kappa component systems BUT of course, for our beemers, the woofer speaker is too wide and didnt fit in the door (I tried fitting it in). Which is the reason why I had to get a new set of component speakers that actually fit in the door ( I measured and these were the only set tha would fit). I was very happy before with my infinity kappa component, it was loud and clear but too big for this car. The boston set is okay but not as good as the kappa.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome, now I understand, thank you! Yes I have tried setting the tweeter gain inside the boston crossover and wasn't happy with it.

Long story short, I had a set of infinity kappa component systems BUT of course, for our beemers, the woofer speaker is too wide and didnt fit in the door (I tried fitting it in). Which is the reason why I had to get a new set of component speakers that actually fit in the door ( I measured and these were the only set tha would fit). I was very happy before with my infinity kappa component, it was loud and clear but too big for this car. The boston set is okay but not as good as the kappa.
Well why not try the infinity tweeter with the infinity crossover and the Boston mid?
So take out the Boston crossover an replace with the infinity one
      08-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
davealvarez2000
Rep

Yes, that's what I rather do, use the infinity tweeters and infinity crossovers BUT leave the boston mid's. So wouldn't I have to use the boston crossover for the mids and also use the infinity crossovers for the new tweeters?

If I take out the boston crossovers, then the Boston mid speakers wont have a cut off point then, nothing will be filtered, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, that's what I rather do, use the infinity tweeters and infinity crossovers BUT leave the boston mid's. So wouldn't I have to use the boston crossover for the mids and also use the infinity crossovers for the new tweeters?

If I take out the boston crossovers, then the Boston mid speakers wont have a cut off point then, nothing will be filtered, right?
why use the boston crossovers at all?
the infinity crossover and Boston crossover serve the same function
the boston mids will be filtered by the infinity crossover