ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
jpop8807
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Schwin

Quick question

Finally made it back to the states, anyways really interested in building and getting into either auto x or club/track racing. I think the club n track racing are the same thing. Does anyone know what a car has to have to be street legal? In case i were just going to gut a old e30 or e46 for track purposes and be legally allowed to drive it on the street getting to the track? Thanks for any help. I'm assuming

1.Windshield
2.Lights/turn signals
3.Safety belts
4.Emissions stuff possibly
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If you're going to race, find out what organization you will be racing with first (SCCA, NASA, BMW CCA, Spec [insert make and models here], Formula [insert make and models here]). It will make it 1,000X easier to determine what you will need to buy and what degree of competition you will be facing.

If you're going to REALLY race, I'd pick up a used, well sorted Spec Miata and start there. Otherwise, bring a 5-7 figure annual budget.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
jpop8807
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Schwin

Lol ya wish I could pull that budget. Not to much for compitition. Just a way to blow some money and have some fun. I'll start by finding another good racing school in Texas. Then maybe get into auto x first and go from there. Just figured gutting a car would be the cheapest mod you could do lol.
Appreciate 0