E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Replace my own Logic 7 amp?

08-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
kbasa
Registered
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i Sedan

Replace my own Logic 7 amp?

Hey all. We were out camping with our 335i and had a 2.5 gallon water container leak its contents into the trunk. It seems to have fried the amp (no chime on startup, no music, no sounds).

Additionally, the Sat receiver no longer registers with the head unit and I'm getting an SOS failure. I haven't pulled the trunk apart yet, but I suspect there's a sat receiver in there that's toast now, too.

I've been poking around here with various searches, but haven't found anyone with my level of misfortune and/or stupidity yet.

So, the questions:

1) If you've had either of those components fail, do my symptoms seem to be in line with what others have experienced.

2) Are there model specific differences in the L7 amp? Or do multiple models share a common part number?

3) When replacing either of these components, is some sort of re-integration with the rest of the car's network required? If so, can it be done by a fairly skilled DIY?

Thanks, guys. I've been lurking here for a couple years, but this is my first post.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Hey all. We were out camping with our 335i and had a 2.5 gallon water container leak its contents into the trunk. It seems to have fried the amp (no chime on startup, no music, no sounds).

Additionally, the Sat receiver no longer registers with the head unit and I'm getting an SOS failure. I haven't pulled the trunk apart yet, but I suspect there's a sat receiver in there that's toast now, too.

I've been poking around here with various searches, but haven't found anyone with my level of misfortune and/or stupidity yet.

So, the questions:

1) If you've had either of those components fail, do my symptoms seem to be in line with what others have experienced.

2) Are there model specific differences in the L7 amp? Or do multiple models share a common part number?

3) When replacing either of these components, is some sort of re-integration with the rest of the car's network required? If so, can it be done by a fairly skilled DIY?

Thanks, guys. I've been lurking here for a couple years, but this is my first post.
The SOS failure means that the MOST ring was broken, most probably caused by the OEM amp being gone. The MOST ring being broken means that any device connected to the ring will not communicate with each other, and that includes the Sat radio module.

Replace the OEM amp (no coding required as long as it is used) and most probably the error will clear and you will get all sounds back. Of course, if something else got messed up then you will have to replace more modules until the ring is re-established.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
kbasa
Registered
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The SOS failure means that the MOST ring was broken, most probably caused by the OEM amp being gone. The MOST ring being broken means that any device connected to the ring will not communicate with each other, and that includes the Sat radio module.

Replace the OEM amp (no coding required as long as it is used) and most probably the error will clear and you will get all sounds back. Of course, if something else got messed up then you will have to replace more modules until the ring is re-established.

Thanks, Technic. This is hugely helpful. I have a couple BMW motorcycles with CanBus, so it sounds like the automotive systems work similarly.

Are amps model specific? More clearly, I can't figure out whether I need to buy an amp that is from my exact model or not.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.