E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Remote Feed with Alpine amp and speaker upgrade

08-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
walshcat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw E92 M Sport

Remote Feed with Alpine amp and speaker upgrade

Hi Guys

I have searched and searched and searched and my head officay hurts now.......can anyonehep mw with this issue. i have a 2007 e92 with standard audio system, i have added the alpine amp and front speaker upgrade and now want to add an amp and sub in the boot ( trunk) is there any way of gettin a remote feed from the back of the car or do i have to put a feed up to the ciggarette lighter or head unit????

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
jagdeepj123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i | Remap 391bhp

I could really use this answer too.

Just had the Alpine upgrade installed and now looking to add some punch with a sub.
I was hoping it would be as simple as tapping a remote wire in/out of the Alpine wiring harness - Can anyone please advise?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The Alpine amp uses signal sensing to turn on, not a dedicated remote turn on wire.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
jagdeepj123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Technic - I read you're the man when it comes to audio connection queries! Hopefully you can help complete the final piece of the puzzle here...

My sub amp has hi-level inputs which I was hoping to use by tapping into the L and R underseat woofer cables from the Alpine amp.

However, my sub amp (Kenwood KAC-9104D) does not have the capability to attach a remote volume control knob - is there something available that I can use to control the level of the hi-level signal going into the sub amp hi-level inputs, providing me a sub-volume dial I can place up near driver's seat?

I have seen plenty of generic sub volume controllers but only with RCA inputs/outputs...

TIA, Jag
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdeepj123 View Post
Thanks Technic - I read you're the man when it comes to audio connection queries! Hopefully you can help complete the final piece of the puzzle here...

My sub amp has hi-level inputs which I was hoping to use by tapping into the L and R underseat woofer cables from the Alpine amp.

However, my sub amp (Kenwood KAC-9104D) does not have the capability to attach a remote volume control knob - is there something available that I can use to control the level of the hi-level signal going into the sub amp hi-level inputs, providing me a sub-volume dial I can place up near driver's seat?
I have seen plenty of generic sub volume controllers but only with RCA inputs/outputs...

TIA, Jag
You could use an Audiocontrol LC2i with its remote control option.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
theg00se
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Can anyone answer Walshcat's question.

I have searched and searched and searched and my head officay hurts now.......can anyonehep mw with this issue. i have a 2007 e92 with standard audio system, i have added the alpine amp and front speaker upgrade and now want to add an amp and sub in the boot ( trunk) is there any way of gettin a remote feed from the back of the car or do i have to put a feed up to the ciggarette lighter or head unit????
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theg00se View Post
Can anyone answer Walshcat's question.

I think that I did answer that question about 8 months ago.

If you have a question different from the one that you copied and pasted then it could be answered as well... or not.

And by the way, OEM remote turn on pins and their locations are posted in this forum. Searching still works...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
jagdeepj123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, so I managed to do this in the end.... I had to:

- Purchase a hi-to-lo converter (to convert speaker level signal to RCA pre-amp level)
- Tap into the speaker cables going to the front underseat woofers from the Alpine. I stripped back the insulation close to the amp connector, soldered my own speaker cable attached to the converter, put electric insulation tape over the join. (make sure it's the sub connected cables so you get low freq signals)
- Velcroed the converter onto the boot floor fabric to secure it from moving.
- Purchased a generic base controller volume knob that site inline from the RCA output of the converter and amp input.

All works just fine, although its not very tidy dragging RCA cables for the bass controller up to front driver seat. The converter and splice cabling is all concealed in the boot though.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
theg00se
Private
England
Rep

Technic. i took Walshcats question literally (well the last bit)

"is there any way of gettin a remote feed from the back of the car or do i have to put a feed up to the ciggarette lighter or head unit"

You explained that the Alpine used a different method and the thread moved on.

I thought i was about to find the answer to my problem. I've been looking for the terms "switched live" "remote feed" "switched 12v feed" and really struggled obviously because i'm not using the right expression. Thank-you for the correct term (remote turn on pins) i'll keep looking.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theg00se View Post
Technic. i took Walshcats question literally (well the last bit)

"is there any way of gettin a remote feed from the back of the car or do i have to put a feed up to the ciggarette lighter or head unit"

You explained that the Alpine used a different method and the thread moved on.

I thought i was about to find the answer to my problem. I've been looking for the terms "switched live" "remote feed" "switched 12v feed" and really struggled obviously because i'm not using the right expression. Thank-you for the correct term (remote turn on pins) i'll keep looking.
OEM remote turn on wire:

- pin 13 in the back of iDrive/OEM HU
- pin 10 at the HiFi OEM amp connector
- http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=49
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #11
theg00se
Private
England
Rep

Technic. THANYOU.
do you know if there is a way to make the search facility to look for an exact expression. It might be me missing the obvious but if you use several words it finds threads that have any of them in rather than all of them. Putting the expression inside "" does not seem to work.
Sorry for the non technical question.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Use Google. Eg:

'<search term> site:www.e90post.com'

That way you can use the quotes for phrases, and the +/- to include/exclude search terms.

HTH