E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Multiple bulb warnings but no blown bulbs... Help!

08-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325D M Sport

Multiple bulb warnings but no blown bulbs... Help!

Just got in my car to go home, stopping by BMW to pick up my new grilles, and Iv been given four bulb failure notices.

3 Indicators and a Front fog lamp.

Stopped the car and checked and weirdly all of the bulbs on the car are working!

The indicators when used are flashing like mad as if a bulb has gone but they flash at normal speeds when the hazard button is used.

Gave the key to the service department at the garage and they couldn't suggest anything and have booked the car in for next week.

Does anyone know what's caused this as if I can I want to sort this out over the weekend so I still have a car to use!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Pull the negative terminal on the battery, wait a few minutes, and connect it back again. Perhaps the computer is just in a fuss.

Have you upgraded any of your bulbs to LEDs?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Do you have any aftermarket bulbs/LEDs?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Well after a bit more digging iv now found a bit of odd behaviour.

The two lower bulbs that make up part of the sidelight on the rear passengers side aren't illuminating.

Turned everything off and checked with a voltmeter. When turned on they have a voltage for a few seconds and then it dies again.

The bulbs themselves are fine and Iv checked the relevant fuses and they all seem ok too.

The indicators are flashing on double time (like they do when a bulb is gone) but all the bulbs are working.

Im thinking it has to be something to do with the voltage drop on the two lower bulbs at the back. The fact that they power up but then go again to me suggests some sort of control fault.

The brake light (which uses one of afore mentioned bulbs) is also working on the side with the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Pull the negative terminal on the battery, wait a few minutes, and connect it back again. Perhaps the computer is just in a fuss.

Have you upgraded any of your bulbs to LEDs?
I hadn't actually thought of that and it used to be my first port of call on my Vauxhall!

Nope not changed any of the bulbs

Ill go try it now, thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Disconnected the battery and left it 10 minutes, unfortunately the fault is still there.

Went into the check control and held the button to get the codes and go the following:

There were 2 digits before it but I cant remember them.

Anyone able to shed any light?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan87 View Post
Well after a bit more digging iv now found a bit of odd behaviour.

The two lower bulbs that make up part of the sidelight on the rear passengers side aren't illuminating.

Turned everything off and checked with a voltmeter. When turned on they have a voltage for a few seconds and then it dies again.

The bulbs themselves are fine and Iv checked the relevant fuses and they all seem ok too.

The indicators are flashing on double time (like they do when a bulb is gone) but all the bulbs are working.

Im thinking it has to be something to do with the voltage drop on the two lower bulbs at the back. The fact that they power up but then go again to me suggests some sort of control fault.

The brake light (which uses one of afore mentioned bulbs) is also working on the side with the problem

I hadn't actually thought of that and it used to be my first port of call on my Vauxhall!

Nope not changed any of the bulbs

Ill go try it now, thank you
Hmm...I just had a new idea: maybe it's the Footwell Module (FRM). DISCLAIMER: Now, I don't work for BMW, and I have never actually seen this part on my car (but I know it's there), so I'm not an end-all-be-all in this area.

AFAIK, the FRM is responsible for the lighting system in our cars (so, bulb-check, auto-leveling the Xenons, engaging the cornering bulbs, etc.) I'm wondering if your FRM may need to be recoded or replaced. Since it happened suddenly, I'm willing to bet that, if the FRM is indeed the culprit, it will need replacement. If your car is under warranty, it should be covered.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmm...I just had a new idea: maybe it's the Footwell Module (FRM). DISCLAIMER: Now, I don't work for BMW, and I have never actually seen this part on my car (but I know it's there), so I'm not an end-all-be-all in this area.

AFAIK, the FRM is responsible for the lighting system in our cars (so, bulb-check, auto-leveling the Xenons, engaging the cornering bulbs, etc.) I'm wondering if your FRM may need to be recoded or replaced. Since it happened suddenly, I'm willing to bet that, if the FRM is indeed the culprit, it will need replacement. If your car is under warranty, it should be covered.
It's under a warranty from the garage i bought the car from but not BMW warranty anymore.

What's the damage to the wallet of one of these units?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan87 View Post
It's under a warranty from the garage i bought the car from but not BMW warranty anymore.

What's the damage to the wallet of one of these units?
I believe around $350
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I believe around $350
Ill speak to the warranty company about that, I have to pay for diagnostics anyway so may aswell get BMW to do the hardwork first
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone else come across these symptoms at all so Im armed with a tad of knowledge when the car goes in?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep

Well had one last ditch attempt at this before the car goes in tomorrow.

Found 2 of the electrical rails on the bulb holder in the boot lid had gotten too close. Quick adjustment and now all is good again

Appreciate 0