E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help - running center channel speaker wire

08-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Help - running center channel speaker wire

For those with experience adding a center channel (I am adding ms-8 to my hifi), what is the best route to run the new speaker cable? I will be running it from the stock amp location in the trunk to the new center channel speaker in my dash. What has to come out of the car? Seats, carpet?? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
For those with experience adding a center channel (I am adding ms-8 to my hifi), what is the best route to run the new speaker cable? I will be running it from the stock amp location in the trunk to the new center channel speaker in my dash. What has to come out of the car? Seats, carpet?? Thanks!
- start from the actual center channel spot on the dash.
- remove cupholders
- insert speaker wires thru the center speaker mounting hole
- look thru the cupholders mounting holes, you are going to see the speaker wires
- open glovebox and remove the fuse panel cover trim and the panel trim under the glovebox (where the passenger footwell light is)
- keep inserting the wires while directing them to the back of the glovebox where the fuse panel is, you will see the wires there
- grab the wires thru the glovebox fuse panel opening and pass them thru the top of the footwell towards the plastic trim on the right side of the footwell.
- tuck wires in thru the doorsill trim all the way to the trunk. No need to remove the door sill trim
- the rear seat bottom needs to be removed to ease the pass of the wires to the trunk, just grab the front of the bottom and pull up.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
- remove cupholders
- look thru the cupholders mounting holes, you are going to see the speaker wires
- open glovebox and remove the fuse panel cover trim and the panel trim under the glovebox (where the passenger footwell light is)
- keep inserting the wires while directing them to the back of the glovebox where the fuse panel is, you will see the wires there
- grab the wires thru the glovebox fuse panel opening and pass them thru the top of the footwell towards the plastic trim on the right side of the footwell.
- tuck wires in thru the doorsill trim all the way to the trunk. No need to remove the door sill trim
- the rear seat bottom needs to be removed to ease the pass of the wires to the trunk, just grab the front of the bottom and pull up.
GREAT! Thanks will give it a go.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Make sure you have a lot of band aids on hand
Must have cut my hand in at least 7 places when I did this
But I didn't have Technics DIY instructions then
I ran it straight down the center of the car
Where all the nice sharp jagged bits are
      08-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
- remove cupholders
Technic, since you are saying NOT to take off the door sills, does this mean you are implying that I should get one of those long stiff zip tie like tools to push the wire though the tunnel under the door sills? Also I assume you mean I have to take off the passenger side kick panel. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Technic, since you are saying NOT to take off the door sills, does this mean you are implying that I should get one of those long stiff zip tie like tools to push the wire though the tunnel under the door sills? Also I assume you mean I have to take off the passenger side kick panel. Thanks.
I normally do not have to take any of those trims off, I just tuck the wires in.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I normally do not have to take any of those trims off, I just tuck the wires in.
So I understand, Technic your method is to tuck the wire between the outer trim and the carpet, right? Or are you running underneath the carpet?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So I understand, Technic your method is to tuck the wire between the outer trim and the carpet, right? Or are you running underneath the carpet?
Between the trim and the carpet. Running the wires under the carpet requires removing the trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

There's some pics in my guide on how I did it. It actually fed through quite easily and the trim removal wasn't too hard either