E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Coming back to the fold - advice sought!

08-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Coming back to the fold - advice sought!

Hello all.

After a year of owning a Merc SL I've finally had enough and it's time to come back to the fold! It's a great car and now in fantastic condition (near concours winner, PM me if you're interested!) but it leaves me cold

Therefore I'm about to start looking for an e92. Budget is up to 15k (I buy outright rather than finance, call me old fashioned) and I'm all about condition and lower miles rather than newest is best. As I live in London and the roads are horrific here I'm going to be looking for an SE rather than a high miles M-sport. My last two bimmers were also M-Sports and christ they were bad on the streets here.

Has to be a 6 cylinder, 320i's are quite frank, absolute sh!t and a 4 pot diesel also leaves me cold.

Therefore a 325 / 330 / 335 i or d it is. Has to be auto due to stop start city traffic. I'm not majorly fussed about fuel consumption (current car has issues hitting 20 so you see where I'm coming from).

Upon searching again and refreshing my memory, The N52 engines were replaced in Sept or so 2007 with the N53 which have HPFP issues, therefore N52 might be best even with higher non-ED fuel consumption? Tempted by a 335i, are there any major issues with these engines unless they've regularly been around the ring? Knackered turbos and leaking fuel lines come to mind?

And the other question is servicing and checking what the potential cars have - I recall they usually go 15k or two years between services, are there set intervals for gearbox or diff oil changes, brake fluid presumably 2 or 3 years and how about the coolant? I remember brakes etc are via the i-drive or control module!

Thanks in advance for refreshing my memory! And any potentially decent cars please let me know

Cheers,

J
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

This seems to tick most of your boxes, and BMW warranty for peace of mind?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

2007 BMW 335i 2979 cc SE Coupe
Trade Seller: Jct600

2 Doors, Automatic, Coupe, Petrol, 37,297 miles, Space Grey, Black Dakota leather, 18'' light alloy Star-spoke style 189, Automatic transmission and paddles, Black trim. high-gloss, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics, BMW Assist, Leather interior, Navigation-system Professional, Park Distance Control front, SA3 Pricing Rule for 620 Voice Control, Voice Control, Remote Control Alarm, First Aid Kit & Triangle, Auto-Dim Interior Mirror, Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory, Sports Seats, Rain Sensor, Xenon Headlamps, Headlamp Washer System, Automatic Air Conditioning, Dynamic Cruise Control, Extended Interior Light Package. £15,990

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Now that is nice. I like Piano black and the black leather looks in good condition rather than dirty and shiny! Like space grey aswell - having had a lemon in sparkling graphite I've completely gone off that colour :-/

Why is it that the car you want's always at the top of your price bracket

Oh for the pre-recession days and loadsamoney!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d m sport

Look at this

A good friend of mine is in the trade so has access to the sytner online unction site the 335i is way over priced!!!! There is a fully prepped to bmw standard 330d se with 38k on 17inch wheels folding mirrors Bluetooth auto and a few other bits on a 06/56 will be around 12-13 grand Mark

Last edited by frankie; 08-07-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
edowen
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
A good friend of mine is in the trade so has access to the sytner online unction site the 335i is way over priced!!!! There is a fully prepped to bmw standard 330d se with 38k on 17inch wheels folding mirrors Bluetooth auto and a few other bits on a 06/56 will be around 12-13 grand Mark
Do you mean the 335i I posted is overpriced? Interested to see cheaper cars at BMW main dealer with the same spec..

I'm sure there would be some room for movement if you turned up with folding.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
Do you mean the 335i I posted is overpriced? Interested to see cheaper cars at BMW main dealer with the same spec..

I'm sure there would be some room for movement if you turned up with folding.
Absolutely ed they would lower the price your right petrol BMW with big engine are not that sought after anymore I'm afraid so don't hold much value compared to the oil burners below is exact spec of 330d on the sytner auction site

Seller Comments

Current mileage 36,919
silver with black Dakota
This car has been fully prepared to BMW AUC standards and is ready to retail. Supplied with copy of preparation invoice for £1338, including 2 new front tyres, front brake discs and pads
06/56
Specification highlights:
Fbmwsh
Automatic gearbox
Black dakota Leather
Exterior Mirrors - folding & auto-dimming
ISOFIX Child Seat System
PDC Front & Rear
Bluetooth Phone Prep
Will be around the 13-14k I reckon trouble is ends tomorrow will keep you posted on what it goes for!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Car is currently at 10k reserve not met!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Evening!

What's all this about the 330d and Sytner? Are there BMW only auctions which is how they shift them between dealers then?

Seems like a great idea but as Joey public how do I stand a chance of getting in on something like this before the 2k goes on top for the dealer to retail?

That's oddly enough one thing that I've noticed, the top of the range aren't much if any more that a 320i....within reason of course.

If you can afford the running costs then it's a lot of metal for the money. I like this idea. Quite a lot actually.

Question is how much you think I could get off a 16k car... I negotiate for businesss, however usually deal with top people not the sales people therefore it's a question of getting to the people with the power to get the discounts!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
edowen
Major
Rep

I would call up (or better still go in) to show you are serious.

I find dealers are very reluctant to talk price until they know you are serious. Call up get some more info, ask the salesman a few senisble questions around last service, alloy wheel condition etc.

Ask THEM to name their best price to secure a deposit for a quick transaction.

All depends what it owes them, how keen they are to do a deal for their numbers etc..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Question

The sytner online auction is only open the traders not the public you need a traders number to log on, what it's is, is basically an auction for all the sytner groups trade ins or over age stock so basically there cars at trade price. Worst case out of this is you get to no if your getting a good deal as I will post the end prices of a few 3 series, I will ask him if he can help with a purchase if there is enough time in the auction to look at the car then you could just pay the garage direct and give my friend a drink!!! Them everyone is happy

Last edited by frankie; 08-07-2011 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Have the black leather and piano black.

Looks great new but the piano black scratches really easily and the black leather does dull down too, bit plain.

But well kept, looks good.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Time for a change???

Hi,

I have had a conversation on the telephone with my friend tomight, he explained all the in's and out's of the Sytner web site.

It basically works a little like ebay. You have to be approved to log into it and then you can go on and view all different makes of cars, from Astons through to Volvo's! Each car has three photo's and detailed description of the car including damage and service history. You then make a decision as to whether you want to ask to view the car which you arrange with the dealer or you can buy off the description and ask questions via email.

The price you pay is based on your bid at auction and obviously just like ebay you can be outbid.

As you are you dealing with Sytner, you are dealing with a reputable company and no neither of us work for them, he did for over 10 years, most of it with BMW! He has bought many cars from this auction, I have seen many abd they have all been good. I have even had one myself.

He said he could help you or other people to purchase from there and would be happy to send you details of cars on there, he would be able to bid on yourhalf subject to a commitment that you intend to purchase. He could ask as many questions as you wanted and get images etc. He could also arrange for you to personally visit the car prior to the end of the auction too.

All this for a small drink of say £300 on top of the auction price, but with the amount you would be saving over retail price this would be insignificant.

The only thing he said you would need to be aware of is that your desire to purchase is final and that if you win the auction you would have to buy the car, unless of the course you collected the car and it was not the way the auction had described.

Also and very importantly, you would pay Sytner direct for the car so again no worries about who you are paying etc.

Anywany, I have waffled enough, if you want to know more just let me know, PM me if you like?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

At it's price and tuning potential - the 335i is becoming to have massive appeal from me.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

If you want me to look for one they quite often come through the sytner auction
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #15
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Here is another example

Vehicle Specifics - Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.
Manufacturer: BMW Number of Doors: 2
Model 3 SERIES DIESEL COUPE Total Number of Owners: 2
Type: Coupe Engine Size: 3,000cc
Registration Number (*) : T8BOO Chassis Number: WBAWD52090PD25309
Mileage: 34000 MOT Expiration Date: March 2012
Model Year 2007 V5 Present: No
Date of 1st Registration: 05 Mar 2007 Green Slip: No
Body Colour: Space Grey Metallic EU Supplied Vehicle: No
Trim Colour: Black Dakota Leather Imported Vehicle: No
Transmission: Manual Condition Used
Fuel: Diesel Service History Yes
(*) Please be aware that cherished registration plates are not included unless stated in the description below
Optional extras
Elec Fold Exterior Mirrors,Black trim. high-gloss,Electric Glass Sunroof,Front Seat Heating,High beam assistant
Item Description
Seller Comments

Current mileage 37,270

07 plate 6 speed manual car, leather interior, electric glass sunroof, front seat heating

Serviced as follows:

20.05.08 @ 3578 mls Francis Honda Leicester

12.02.09 @ 8773 mls Sytner BMW Leicester

22.12.10 @ 30365 mls S & Y Motors Earl Shilton Leics

Showing next service due in 15,000 miles or Dec 2011

Small chip in windscreen is ok for MOT and repairable; leather to edges of both front seats worn & requires re-colouring. The car would benefit from a good mop/machine polish all over, scratch on N/S will polish out. Tyres are all at 2mm

Car to be paid in full within 72 hours of auction ending and collected within 5 working days

This is a typical car that goes through needs a little tlc to bring back to retail standard but has been serviced at Honda for some reason! Will be worth 12-12.5k roughly
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #16
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
If you want me to look for one they quite often come through the sytner auction
I will bare you in mind for when I need a new vehicle. My car has 9 months of the HP agreement left - and it's in negative equity (by about £1,500) so I shall be waiting to send it back, rather than sell the car and pay the remaining hp off.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

To the OP,

If you live in a city and don't do many miles and want something that sounds nice then get the 330i

Its got less to go wrong, will be plenty quick enough, will sound lovely and the mpg will beat the SL no probs.

I drive a 335d but I have country roads and do above 10k miles
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Frankie, many thanks. However, a car that they can't retail as it's always been serviced by Hoinda (WTF?), has knackered tyres (1k), scratches etc ain't going to make the Mrs happy by turning up with another project! I and it would be binned I suspect!

However, good condition low mileage cars are always a good call. I've been surfing around over the last couple of days and have spotted a few good ones. There are actually quite a good few low mileage ones (less than 30k) out there on a 56 or 07 plate with ok specs (don't want nav - tom-tom's better and more relaible!) for between 12 and 14k or so. I think that's where I'll be aiming as buying a car with 60k now means in a couple of years it will be over 90k, and therefore into the hard to sell section.

rsmallwo - inclined to agree with you if I hadn't just spotted a few 330d coupe's!

I think in reality it will all come down to what I find that looks in good condition and I like on the day. I don't do that many miles living in the city and have a smart for running around, it's therefore a car for the longer journeys. Petrol consumption's therefore not as much of an issue.

Anyway, thanks all for the views!

Anyone able to answer my questions on the servicing? :-)

J
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #19
edowen
Major
Rep

Cant see any good reason to buy the Sytner auction car. No BMW warranty. Non BMW service history (hence why they are selling it rather than retailing it), and the price isnt even that competitive.

James, did you speak to the dealer on the one I posted?

Re servicing - it all comes up "as required". Oil services every 18-20k or so, and then each other item when required by miles or time. On idrive cars you can check each item - brakes, oil, inspection etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #20
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey Ed.

Thanks for the response.

No, not spoken yet as I don't want to tempt fate - the sale on the Merc's hopefully going through and in my experience tempting fate always results in fate winning for me!

As soon as I get the cash in the bank I'll select a few cars and go see them, find the one I like best and go into a friendly battle.

As for servicing, thanks for the info! I'm guessing transmissions are supposedly sealed for life - i.e. change the fluids at 50 or 60k....?

Thanks!

J
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #21
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Servicing for my 335i has been pretty cheap. From memory, Oil services approx 15k (£140), brake fluid every 2 years (£90), dics/pads approx £350 front/£450 rear ( every 30-40k miles), gearbox/diff sealed. Microfilter £100 ish every 30k miles, Spark plugs unknown cost, approx 40k miles. All in idrive menu.

And a shameless plug for my 70k mile car for sale in the classifieds!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562273
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #22
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen View Post
Cant see any good reason to buy the Sytner auction car. No BMW warranty. Non BMW service history (hence why they are selling it rather than retailing it), and the price isnt even that competitive.

James, did you speak to the dealer on the one I posted?

Re servicing - it all comes up "as required". Oil services every 18-20k or so, and then each other item when required by miles or time. On idrive cars you can check each item - brakes, oil, inspection etc.
The prices on the sytner site are trade price that's how all the people who are registered on there make there money by selling them to people off the street, the car I listed was an example there are many many cars with full BMW history and in very good condition I'm very familiar with cars and the prices you will not find a cheaper place to buy a car!
Appreciate 0