E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Clutch and Flywheel replaced but doesn't feel right

08-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Clutch and Flywheel replaced but doesn't feel right

Hi all,

My 320d coupe went in again as the clutch judder returned after 800 miles of having a new clutch under warranty.

This time BMW replaced the clutch kit (again) and flywheel too. Now the car drives fine but there is still a rumble (i.e. what you get when not giving enough throttle when pulling off - gearstick vibrates but not really a judder) but what is worrying me is the pronounced clutch vibration/ scraping feel when the clutch is pressed down to the floor.

When the pedal is pressed down to the floor and held there (whilst stationary) you can feel the rotation of the clutch/flywheel and you can sometimes feel what can be described as a scrape (just felt through pedal, not audible). Its not apparent when changing gears or when the vehicle itself is in motion (has to be stationary). It feels as if there is a metal to metal rub every so often in a turn.

I'm thinking something is not right but as the clutch was replaced recently, the dealership was very careful to ensure it all went back in factory.

I'll go on a drive with the technician tommorow but don't want to be fobbed off so was looking for some advice. Is it normal to experience something like this until it is bedded in?

Also, there is now a clicking noise when the clutch is pressed and depressed -which only happens with the car switched off. The release bearing has been replaced so can't be that and I thought it might be the return spring in the pedal but the noise comes from the outside.

Anyone know what this may be? I wonder if its something hydraulic related like the clutch slave cylinder?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Not normal. Get it back in. I had a clutch replaced due to judder a couple of weeks ago and your car should be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Thanks, its now faded away by the looks of it so may just be the bedding in. The clicking noise, i am told are the springs on the clutch disc. Do you have this with the engine switched off. I'm told they'll settle down in about 500 miles.
Appreciate 0