E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > My experience of selling my E90

04-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

My experience of selling my E90

Not sure if you're interested in this, but I'll post for those who do care about resale of their E90 or are thinking of selling their E90 in Australia soon.

I had one of the first E90s (Aug '05) and have sold it in favour of a 130i.

Out of the past new cars I've owned, it has been the hardest to sell by quite a margin as:

1) People want a sunroof
2) Arctic isn't a popular colour
3) 2nd hand 320 buyers aren't enthusiasts - 95% of the options on the options list mean nothing to them.
4) People wouldn't budge more than $500 from their budget
5) It's a buyers market - being an entry level model, there are loads of 320s for sale and so there is always a good deal out there for you to compete against.
6) Many people did little to no research on the car or options before phoning up - they just wanted any new shape 3 series for $x.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
sevey
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I think once you get into the inline six engines alot of these problems will disappear. As you mentioned it is one of the major problems with buying the volume selling models because there are so many second hand choices available! Have fun with the 130!!!
      04-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevey View Post
I think once you get into the inline six engines alot of these problems will disappear. As you mentioned it is one of the major problems with buying the volume selling models because there are so many second hand choices available! Have fun with the 130!!!
Thanks! I am! nowhere near as many 130s about, I gather...

I loved my 325Ci, and the 130 is even more fun. I don't think I'll ever be buying a 4cyl BMW again due to a combination of it being a volume model and the 4cyl engines don't do much (anything!) for me emotionally.

I've had so many people get into my 320i and say how poor value for money they think it is...for some reason NOT having electric seats on a car of that price disgusts people LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
NickG
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT M/Blue, Jade Grey

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I think the biggest point is that it's a buyer's market out there at present. Second hand prices for just about everything are pretty woeful. I also totally agree that options get especially heavily discounted in the buyer equation. BMW even factor this into to their Full Circle Lease deals (where they agree to pay you back a nominated % of the original purchase price at end of lease). Effectively, the more options, the less the nominated %. One reason why I didn't bother with a sunroof on my 335i....

However you look at it, a new car is one of the worst investments you can ever make. So you better ensure you really enjoy driving it then!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I think the biggest point is that it's a buyer's market out there at present. Second hand prices for just about everything are pretty woeful. I also totally agree that options get especially heavily discounted in the buyer equation. BMW even factor this into to their Full Circle Lease deals (where they agree to pay you back a nominated % of the original purchase price at end of lease). Effectively, the more options, the less the nominated %. One reason why I didn't bother with a sunroof on my 335i....

However you look at it, a new car is one of the worst investments you can ever make. So you better ensure you really enjoy driving it then!
How very right you are! I do love BMWs but although I want to enjoy driving it, I know I will eventually sell it, and when I do I want to minimise my losses to a reasonable degree so that I can then purchase another one.

I've bought two new ones, both with a reasonable number of options, and my eyes water when I add up the depreciation. I can't bring myself to do it any more so now I'm going for 1 yr old models as that is far easier to swallow and it also means I can get a higher specification than I could get new - I'll still spend the same, but will loose less...

The running costs don't bother me but when I buy a BMW I do want a few of the nicer options like a sports pack, metallic paint and sunroof - right there you loose around $9500 if you buy these on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Depreciation will always affect a cars value even if you buy it 1 year old. the secret is to buy smart. When I recently bought my 6 month ex-BMW loaner 320i M-sport with s/roof and metalic, they had a window price of 70K. No trade allowed me to negotiate that to 62K drive away. I financed at realistic figures and not at what the dealerships think. 4 years with 25% residual should have me in a comfortable position to get out of this car. The dealer said 4 years 50% and I told him it would be lucky to be worth 40% at retail and he reluctantly agreed.

buy smart, ensure you finance realisticly and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
Depreciation will always affect a cars value even if you buy it 1 year old. the secret is to buy smart. When I recently bought my 6 month ex-BMW loaner 320i M-sport with s/roof and metalic, they had a window price of 70K. No trade allowed me to negotiate that to 62K drive away. I financed at realistic figures and not at what the dealerships think. 4 years with 25% residual should have me in a comfortable position to get out of this car. The dealer said 4 years 50% and I told him it would be lucky to be worth 40% at retail and he reluctantly agreed.

buy smart, ensure you finance realisticly and enjoy.
Yep, I completely agree. I tried to use that strategy when buying my 130. It was 12 months old, an ex-demo and only had 8,500Kms on the clock. It has a sunroof and metallic paint and I got it for 57K where a new one would be 74K, so I was happy with a 17K drop for so few Kms...the benefit of getting the 130 is that there are very few options so most of the ones on the market are pretty much the same, colour/sunroof aside.

I have leased in the past but no longer do the Kms and so it is just easier for me to buy it outright and without finance, these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
sevey
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameB View Post
Yep, I completely agree. I tried to use that strategy when buying my 130. It was 12 months old, an ex-demo and only had 8,500Kms on the clock. It has a sunroof and metallic paint and I got it for 57K where a new one would be 74K, so I was happy with a 17K drop for so few Kms...the benefit of getting the 130 is that there are very few options so most of the ones on the market are pretty much the same, colour/sunroof aside.

I have leased in the past but no longer do the Kms and so it is just easier for me to buy it outright and without finance, these days.
Which dealer did you get it from?
      04-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevey View Post
Which dealer did you get it from?
BMW Sydney in Rushcutters bay. I was after a blue 2005 manual with a sunroof and it was the only one for sale in the country. After 2 and a half hours of negotiations I got them to a price I was happy with.

Update: 320 went yesterday so I'm now just in the 130 and I love it even more now I have to drive it all the time!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 01:57 AM   #10
sevey
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Good dealer.........I got my 325 from BMW Sydney and got a great price......it left Alto for dead......$8,000 difference. I was thinking about getting the wife a 130 man for a bit of weekend fun! Its a great little sports car.