Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Help Decide: PSS or DW's

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Help Decide: PSS or DW's

I'm having a heck of a time deciding between these 2 tires. Both have amazing reviews and fit my needs.

Mich Pilot Super Sports - Ranked #1 by TR, outstanding all around traction, price is about $300 more for a set

Conti Extreme Contact DW - People swear by these, probably better for daily driving, cost less than PSS, they have less grip for my track days

Gary, maybe you could chime in. I run a 450+hp 335i (soon to be around 500hp) I mostly drive to and from work (60 miles a day and spirited when I can) and I track about 10-15 times a year (mixed road course and drag). I don't plan on adding a second set of dedicated wheels for the track, which would be ideal. I want a tire that is quiet, good tread wear, but can hold up to my track sessions.

FYI - tire sizes are 235/35/19 and 265/30/19...do you offer any discounts for e90post members?
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Im on DW's and love them. I would like to try out a set of PSS however when I did my research when I got my DW's they were rated #1 by TR.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

I have a set of DWs on my car currently and...they're decent. Everyone says they have a soft sidewall...and they do. A bit of a mushy feel honestly. I liked the price point, they're rated decently, and they're aesthetically pleasing.
      08-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks for your comments. I'm 99% sure I'll be going with the Pilot Super Sports, just overall better for only $300 more.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

I drove on both tires back to back at a recent Michelin event autocross. While I'm sure the contis are a nice daily driver tire, they don't compare to the PSS in an auto-x setting. They felt really soft with a mushy sidewall, and had noticeably less grip, and sloppier steering response. I hear they are very quiet and comfortable though.

Outside of an extreme setting like auto-x, the contis are probably much better. But if you are after performance and do a lot of track days, you'll be much happier with the PSS.
Appreciate 0