E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aftermarket Sirius Radio

08-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
335isWhite
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E93 335is 7spd DCT

Aftermarket Sirius Radio

My car is satellite ready, but it doesn't have the module.
I talked to dealer and they said it will cost me $700 plus tax to install the module and reprogram the computer.

Any suggestion for aftermarket satellite receivers?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Your dealer is killing you!

2011 models should already have the satellite radio hardware in place. It just needs to software activated. I believe you can buy just the SW ID code for about $200ish from tischer and program it in yourself with a cable.

If you go to the BMWUSA.com website and look under accessories -> entertainment, you will find the sirius xm option for post 09/2010 cars to be $375.

Without Nav
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...CClistInterior

With Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
335isWhite
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
Your dealer is killing you!

2011 models should already have the satellite radio hardware in place. It just needs to software activated. I believe you can buy just the SW ID code for about $200ish from tischer and program it in yourself with a cable.

If you go to the BMWUSA.com website and look under accessories -> entertainment, you will find the sirius xm option for post 09/2010 cars to be $375.

Without Nav

With Nav
Thank you for quick and informative answer! mine has NAV, but my concern is if I reprogram and it affects other functions of the computer! (like car performance). If it doesn't I need to check with Tischer website then.

And the link you sent me in previous post says: the car should be with satellite radio prep (SA693), How may I know that mine has that? the only visible thing is the satellite antenna over my trunk.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335isWhite View Post
Thank you for quick and informative answer! mine has NAV, but my concern is if I reprogram and it affects other functions of the computer! (like car performance). If it doesn't I need to check with Tischer website then.

And the link you sent me in previous post says: the car should be with satellite radio prep (SA693), How may I know that mine has that? the only visible thing is the satellite antenna over my trunk.
Programming in the FSC code to activate sirius has no affect on performance. You're just essentially putting in a software activation key. Nothing more than that really. I'm sure someone else here on the forum can help you program in the FSC code as I have little to no actual experience with this. I just know that it can be done.

Best way to know is to ask your dealer to lookup your VIN to see if you have that option. Or I believe you can look at your monroney window sticker.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
335isWhite
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
Programming in the FSC code to activate sirius has no affect on performance. You're just essentially putting in a software activation key. Nothing more than that really. I'm sure someone else here on the forum can help you program in the FSC code as I have little to no actual experience with this. I just know that it can be done.

Best way to know is to ask your dealer to lookup your VIN to see if you have that option. Or I believe you can look at your monroney window sticker.
Thank you for the help, I am going to hold on buying after market receiver and do some research to find out if my car came with satellite radio prep?

Meanwhile, I hope someone helps me with the programming tips, but I guess eventually it needs to be done by the dealer to keep the car's warranty valid!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
335isWhite
Private
United_States
Rep

So finally I decided to go with SIRIUS STILETTO 2 which is a portable satellite radio and I can buy it online for $230, is it a good choice, I guess I can fit it inside the middle compartment with a lighter charger and AUX cable.

any comments/advices on that?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

There should be a pink antenna connection in the trunk of your car in the center storage compartment. I installed my aftermarket sirius radio into that plug. Then ran the wires to the center console for aux and cig lighter then ran wires to mount my sirius in the ashtray. There are a few post on here showing that install and the website to order the L shaped cable that will connect from the pink in the trunk to the sirius radio. if you cant find it let me know and I'll pull up the order form when i get home. It was a very easy install took less than 30 minutes to run the wire on passenger foot well into console for total install.
      08-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
335isWhite
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildagjg View Post
There should be a pink antenna connection in the trunk of your car in the center storage compartment. I installed my aftermarket sirius radio into that plug. Then ran the wires to the center console for aux and cig lighter then ran wires to mount my sirius in the ashtray. There are a few post on here showing that install and the website to order the L shaped cable that will connect from the pink in the trunk to the sirius radio. if you cant find it let me know and I'll pull up the order form when i get home. It was a very easy install took less than 30 minutes to run the wire on passenger foot well into console for total install.
Great help! so you think with built-in antenna in the portable radio, I will get noise or interference? what brand of satellite radio are you using?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Great help! so you think with built-in antenna in the portable radio, I will get noise or interference? what brand of satellite radio are you using?

Im using the sirius starmate 5. the pink plug in the trunk of your car is a direct connect to the antenna of your car so there will be no noise or interference. just plug one end to that pink plug the other to the sirius radio in the front of your car. when running the wire to the front of your car make sure you run it on the passenger side sill then under your passenger seat there is a seam in the carpet you can tuck it in there and bring it right into the console where the aux port and lighter port is then threw to the ashtray or any other mounting area.

I'll send you tonight the website for the cable and if i have instructions with pictures as well.
      08-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
statelax3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS

mine is an 07 will it have the pink plug as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
335isWhite
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll send you tonight the website for the cable and if i have instructions with pictures as well.
Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by statelax3 View Post
mine is an 07 will it have the pink plug as well?
mine is a 2008 and it has it. i could be wrong but I think all E9x bmws are prewired. A few of my friends have E9x and all of their cars have the plug.
      08-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
335isWhite
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
mine is a 2008 and it has it. i could be wrong but I think all E9x bmws are prewired. A few of my friends have E9x and all of their cars have the plug.
Mine even has the satellite antenna over the trunk lid.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Do you have an iPhone? I think you can get a sirius app. Maybe I'm confusing myself with something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

cable needed to connect plug in trunk to aftermarket sirius. you do not need to go to bmw to get it turned on (coded). you are using the prewired plug in trunk as the antenna connection.

cable link: http://www.cdint.com/catalog/advance...=sb9sbj-174-16

plug the cable in above link into pink plug and run on passenger side of car to the aftermarket sirius radio in front of your car. the 90 degree angle plug goes into the sirius radio.

here is a picture of the pink plug that is in the center of the trunk under the trunk matt as well as the final install picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gilda G; 08-11-2011 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #16
335isWhite
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Do you have an iPhone? I think you can get a sirius app. Maybe I'm confusing myself with something else.
Unfortunately that app works only for XM subscribers! even if it says SIRIUS XM, and it needs Skydock hardware.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
335isWhite
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
cable needed to connect plug in trunk to aftermarket sirius. you do not need to go to bmw to get it turned on (coded). you are using the prewired plug in trunk as the antenna connection.

cable link: http://www.cdint.com/catalog/advance...=sb9sbj-174-16

plug the cable in above link into pink plug and run on passenger side of car to the aftermarket sirius radio in front of your car. the 90 degree angle plug goes into the sirius radio.

here is a picture of the pink plug that is in the center of the trunk under the trunk matt as well as the final install picture.
Thanks for all those details, the link didn't work but I will keep this in bookmarks for future.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all those details, the link didn't work but I will keep this in bookmarks for future.

it worked for me so strange go this route then

www.cdint.com

under catalog search type in sb9sbj-174-16

I just did it and the cable came up.