E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2009 E92 Level One system

08-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

2009 E92 Level One system

We recently installed a Level One system with the optional sub and midbass upgrades into a 2009 E92 with HiFi. Very nice, plug-and-play install.

We used the 700/5 with the front/midbass bandpass/sub configuration:

We deleted the rears. (Rear speakers = Commie plot). We used the R outputs of the Technic harness to driver the sub channels, making a sub level control out of the fader in the Professional head unit.

We installed the Jehnert 3-way kit and bandpassed the underseats for midbass:

We used our E92 sub module with an ID12 in it:

Securing bolt (uses stock hole in sheet metal and industrial speed clip)

This car had an amazing amount of bass. We don't aim for loudness or tons of bass, we aim for SQ, and this thing had more bass than I would ever need or want. We had to apply foam tape to the license plate, the frame, and the underplate to get rid of the annoying rattling from it.

The midbass is great too - the Jehnerts are playing down to 45 Hz. It's a really nice-sounding system, and it's 100% reversible at the end of the CPO lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Whats your opinnion of the Jehnert 3 way kit

Do the 4 incher and the tweeters do as well as the Morels or Rainbows?
Did you use the Jehnert crossover pod? (they have one right)
I would guess the under seats are on separate channel so how did
that work out?

Where did you put the crossover pod

Don't the chimes/alarms come through the rear speakers ?
How does that work if there running to the underseats?

How did it all work out without a processor?

Last edited by ctuna; 08-03-2011 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
imperial sloth
witty quote
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 space grey e92

Interesting, another option for me to research now...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post

My crystal ball is showing this enclosure in my new car by mid-October...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Do the 4 incher and the tweeters do as well as the Morels or Rainbows?
Did you use the Jehnert crossover pod? (they have one right)
I would guess the under seats are on separate channel so how did
that work out?

Where did you put the crossover pod

Don't the chimes/alarms come through the rear speakers ?
How does that work if there running to the underseats?

How did it all work out without a processor?
The Jehnerts are not as nice as the Morels - but they are better than the Rainbow Dream Line 210.20, and similar to the Rainbow Sound Line 210.25. Since the Morels don't fit, comparing them is a bit apples-and-oranges. The lower end is where the Morels are stronger, and that's to be expected from a shallower speaker.

The Jehnerts come with two passive crossovers per side - one for the tweeter and the mid, and one for the woofer. We delete the woofer passive so we can run it actively. Jehnert says that they tuned the 3W kit passives for the E9X, with the drivers in the vehicle, testing and verifying - but I have not tried it yet.

Since the car was a HiFi car, we didn't have OEM processing to correct. I would have liked to have EQd the upper treble a bit up and the upper bass a bit down (the JL doesn't let you gap the bottom of 1/2 and the top of 3/4 in bandpass mode, but most amps won't even let you bandpass, so I don't want to seem overly critical...)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
sunpole
Private
Rep
Drives: X5, 335i

VP,

For someone not getting a trunk sub, do you still recommend Jehnert over SWS-8?
Did you run 2 channels to the 4" and tweeter and 2 channels to the underseat woofer? Wonder how does it sound without the sub...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Morels do fit in the e90 and e91 ?

I believe that is correct ?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpole View Post
VP,

For someone not getting a trunk sub, do you still recommend Jehnert over SWS-8?
Did you run 2 channels to the 4" and tweeter and 2 channels to the underseat woofer? Wonder how does it sound without the sub...
It's a compromise... the Jehnerts (or any other midbass driver that will fit) are supposedly really good at midbass, but fall short in the subbass department. The SWS-8 are good at subbass, but suck at midbass. So if you like to hear and feel the bass notes all the way down, the SWS-8 would be your best bet, but if you prefer tight, punchy midbass, the Jehnerts will be the better choice. To put this in numbers, the SWS-8 is better from 20Hz - 60Hz, and the Jehnert from 60Hz and up.
      08-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
sunpole
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
It's a compromise... the Jehnerts (or any other midbass driver that will fit) are supposedly really good at midbass, but fall short in the subbass department. The SWS-8 are good at subbass, but suck at midbass. So if you like to hear and feel the bass notes all the way down, the SWS-8 would be your best bet, but if you prefer tight, punchy midbass, the Jehnerts will be the better choice. To put this in numbers, the SWS-8 is better from 20Hz - 60Hz, and the Jehnert from 60Hz and up.
Not sure if this comparison makes sense, but to understand this from a real life experience, which speaker's weakness is more pronounced in term of certain freq output, when playing classical rock on the SWS-8 or hip hop on the Jehnert?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The Jehnert is a good 8" woofer. If you listen to 95% rap and hip-hop, 8" woofers are not usually the answer.

When our customer listens to rap, we don't recommend the Jehnert as the largest speaker. But if they listen to rock, the Jehnert does better in the acoustic drum kit/bass guitar area. When you listen to a Jehnert woofer in an E9x, it doesn't sound weak or deficient at all - but the SWS has more "bump".

I think the Jehnert - as 6spdcoupe said originally - is a more musical, more accurate woofer, and the SWS is really for someone who wants a trunk sub but doesn't want a trunk sub, at the same time. Given the recent SWS cost increases, our Jehnert sales have climbed.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
sunpole
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Sws-8 can still play above 60hz, just not as punchy, but jehnert can't play below 60hz? How much do we 60 below? I heard radio don't go below 50hz.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpole View Post
Sws-8 can still play above 60hz, just not as punchy, but jehnert can't play below 60hz? How much do we 60 below? I heard radio don't go below 50hz.
Kai is generalizing the concept, because he hasn't heard the Jehnerts, and I don't know if he's tried the Earthquakes (can't remember).

You are thinking about it in terms that are too stark, though - that doesn't help.

Both sound massively better than stock.

If I take the Jehnerts and turn the crossover to band-pass, and set it to 20 Hz highpass, I can hear the difference. If I set it to 40 Hz, I can hear a HUGE difference. (I literally just did this as I was tuning an X5 in the bay). What that means is that the woofer has audible output below that crossover point.

That doesn't mean it's a TON of output - but it's audible.

We are also talking about two things - output, and accurate output. The SWS are lower in output around 200, and are also not as accurate in the output they have. The Jehnerts have very accurate output around 200 (especially in the time domain, which is where you get "fast", "snappy" bass). The SWS have a TON of output below 100, where the Jehnerts are more linear and less peaky. But for rap/hip-hop, and IMo a lot of techno and electronica, peaky is what many folks prefer...

I have composed this during short breaks from the high shop temps... back to digging out of our shipping hole
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
sunpole
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
If I take the Jehnerts and turn the crossover to band-pass, and set it to 20 Hz highpass, I can hear the difference. If I set it to 40 Hz, I can hear a HUGE difference. (I literally just did this as I was tuning an X5 in the bay). What that means is that the woofer has audible output below that crossover point.

That doesn't mean it's a TON of output - but it's audible.
Hmm, I am more drawn to the Jehnert woofer now. With the flatline series, what bandpass do you recommend for a setup without sub?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I usually run them all the way down without a sub. Do it all the time.

This guy did that:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540446
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Found the tweeter pics:

Appreciate 0