E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New Amp / Sub Install Help

08-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Bofsters
Registered
Rep
Drives: 420i Xdrive M Sport

New Amp / Sub Install Help

Hi there,
I have been searching all over the net but getting mixed advice!! basically I wish to install my 2 channel amp & sub into my 2007 e90 touring with the factory Hi-Fi Professional HU.

The car doesn't seem to have a standard amp fitted. I was looking to purchase a LineOut Convertor so the Amp can be installed to the HU but not sure which to buy (if any) prices range quite a bit though!! what is the differences?
Wiring help etc start to finish would help me out..
Also my Amp has LOW INPUT & HIGH INPUTS, which do I use?
Any help would be appreciated and what exactly I need to do or buy.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
good luck man. Im still confused as to what I need. From what I "think" Ive gathered, a normal LOC can not be used. Something to do about 36v spikes or something. Hell, I dont get it.

My amp has both Low level and high level inputs too. But my high level inputs, I cant use because I lose the harness for the high levels. So I just want to use a LOC converter I have from my old car which I "think" Im being told I can not use.

There is a gentleman named Technic who sells a wiring harness you can use without having to cut ANY wires. But he said I needed to buy this special LOC he also sells. I got a cost for both pieces (the wiring harness AND special LOC) which I thought was a lot, just to add a sub IN addition to my stock stereo. Speaking of which, I have the EPS system.

I wish I could help more. But Im totally confused as to why I need this special LOC. My local stereo shop said I could use a normal LOC just fine, but I dont know who to believe. Im learning towards the guys on this forum, but the cost to do it has be in the air.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofsters View Post
Hi there,
I have been searching all over the net but getting mixed advice!! basically I wish to install my 2 channel amp & sub into my 2007 e90 touring with the factory Hi-Fi Professional HU.

The car doesn't seem to have a standard amp fitted. I was looking to purchase a LineOut Convertor so the Amp can be installed to the HU but not sure which to buy (if any) prices range quite a bit though!! what is the differences?
Wiring help etc start to finish would help me out..
Also my Amp has LOW INPUT & HIGH INPUTS, which do I use?
Any help would be appreciated and what exactly I need to do or buy.

thanks in advance
Your OEM system is the Stereo (6-speakers, no amp). If your 2-channel amp can accept 8V/20W high level signals then a LOC is not required.

Tap the underseat woofer wires and then connect the wires to your amp. That should do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
good luck man. Im still confused as to what I need. From what I "think" Ive gathered, a normal LOC can not be used. Something to do about 36v spikes or something. Hell, I dont get it.

My amp has both Low level and high level inputs too. But my high level inputs, I cant use because I lose the harness for the high levels. So I just want to use a LOC converter I have from my old car which I "think" Im being told I can not use.

There is a gentleman named Technic who sells a wiring harness you can use without having to cut ANY wires. But he said I needed to buy this special LOC he also sells. I got a cost for both pieces (the wiring harness AND special LOC) which I thought was a lot, just to add a sub IN addition to my stock stereo. Speaking of which, I have the EPS system.

I wish I could help more. But Im totally confused as to why I need this special LOC. My local stereo shop said I could use a normal LOC just fine, but I dont know who to believe. Im learning towards the guys on this forum, but the cost to do it has be in the air.
For the very last time, this is the reason a "normal" LOC will not work in your EPS system: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511571
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
For the very last time, this is the reason a "normal" LOC will not work in your EPS system: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511571
OH! Well that clearly explains things. I'm sorry I didn't understand you the first time.

I am ready to buy your solution now! Before I do, please be patience with me while I ask you a few last questions.

From that post, it appears that gentleman attached the normal LOC to the subs output from the stock amp? Or am I wrong? Wouldn't he have wanted to attach the LOC before the stock AMP?

And if the subs output wiring is to much, couldnt he have just tapped into a rear speaker instead? Which Im assuming is not as high in voltage as the subs?

Again, Im SORRY for not understanding you. Im just trying to fully understand this just so I know. Like I said, Im ready to buy your solution.

I will pull up the PM you sent me before and get it ordered ASAP.

Thank you Technic. I do appreciate your knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
OH! Well that clearly explains things. I'm sorry I didn't understand you the first time.

I am ready to buy your solution now! Before I do, please be patience with me while I ask you a few last questions.

From that post, it appears that gentleman attached the normal LOC to the subs output from the stock amp? Or am I wrong? Wouldn't he have wanted to attach the LOC before the stock AMP?
There are fiber optic cables (digital data) before the OEM amp in the EPS system. You just cannot tap them with any analog/wired LOC.

Quote:
And if the subs output wiring is to much, couldnt he have just tapped into a rear speaker instead? Which Im assuming is not as high in voltage as the subs?
The rear speaker OEM outputs in the EPS are high pass, i.e., no bass information there.

Quote:
Again, Im SORRY for not understanding you. Im just trying to fully understand this just so I know. Like I said, Im ready to buy your solution.

I will pull up the PM you sent me before and get it ordered ASAP.

Thank you Technic. I do appreciate your knowledge.
Nothing to be sorry, just do a search the next time and you will understand on your own what it is involved in upgrading/adding aftermarket devices to the EPS system. There are plenty of threads on the subject, like the one above.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There are fiber optic cables (digital data) before the OEM amp in the EPS system. You just cannot tap them with any analog/wired LOC.

The rear speaker OEM outputs in the EPS are high pass, i.e., no bass information there.

Nothing to be sorry, just do a search the next time and you will understand on your own what it is involved in upgrading/adding aftermarket devices to the EPS system. There are plenty of threads on the subject, like the one above.

Wow, that answers everything. Thank you very much. I searched a little, but what I did find, didnt go into this much detail. That link you provided, I never saw in my searches. I will try harder next time. Thank you for showing me this and answering all of my questions. I REALLY do appreciate it.

Now Im off to find that PM and ordering information. Thank you for saving me from this!!!
Appreciate 0