E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Fitting E90 performamce bits

08-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 / E46M3

Fitting E90 performamce bits

Chaps

Totally in love with my car. Love it. And it\'s become a game of how to get the fuel needle to go down rather than stay up. Love it.

Thinking of fitting a carbon spoiler and the performance pedals. However, dealer wants c 1.5 hours labour at £120 ph to fit. However did say they are hittable by the customer reasonably easily.

Has anyone fitted either of these bits themselves? Is it easy? ESP the spoiler? Is it glue or drilling holes etc?

Advice much appreciated.

Phil
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Its usually stuck down with tape and very easy to do. Search the forum and you will find lots of info on how to fit a rear spoiler.

Never fitted pedals but they cant be that difficult. I would def give it a go if I were me.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

I have fitted both type I and II performance spoilers. Used betalink 1k from dealers.
IMO tape isn't the way to go. It's not that easy to find so you end up buying some no more nails tape from homebase that I had no confidence in.

Good luck pm me if you have any questions
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
R80TER
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 320D ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
It's not that easy to find so you end up buying some no more nails tape from homebase that I had no confidence in.
Thats what i use and is good for 50kg. i couldnt remove it when i went to sell the car!! ( i did eventually!) but it was PROPER stuck down...
      08-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Hoggy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325d M-Sport Coupe Auto

if you get the parts you want, take it to a repair garage or someting, especially a good local garage as they usually do insurance work anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d m sport

If you love your car that much I would pay to have it put on properly my e92 is going in on wednesday to have carbon splitter carbon wing mirror caps black kidney grills rear carbon spoiler and performance spoiler I would never try and fit my self I no it's slot of cash but it's worth knowing it's in safe hands!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
If you love your car that much I would pay to have it put on properly my e92 is going in on wednesday to have carbon splitter carbon wing mirror caps black kidney grills rear carbon spoiler and performance spoiler I would never try and fit my self I no it's slot of cash but it's worth knowing it's in safe hands!!
Disagree. I remember I paid £45 twice for the kidney grilles to be fitted by the stealers on my previous cars and now I see it as a money down the drain without a doubt as they are one of the easiest diy. 10mins max.

There are things one can do themselves. I wouldn't pay for wing mirror caps and kidney grille if I were you but its your money.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Ye fair point web I'm not that talented at DIY that's the main reason I pay BMW and my car is only 3 weeks old, DIY is fine for grills and mirror caps but anything that needs sticking or drilling I say get it done properly!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 / E46M3

Update. Now picked the bits up. No chance am I fitting this little lot myself. It's going in the bodyshop the next time I'm up in Manchester. Their charge-out rates are about a third of the main workshop so it's now a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Brand new car that I've just shelled a load out on. What's another £80 fitting on parts I've just spent the best part of £350 on and at least if they get it wrong I can shout at them and they can pay to put it right!

Reasons: The BMW instructions for the spoiler involve sandpapering and using solvent and it states you need to be in an atmosphere of 18oC+ and then left to set for 12 hours.

The pedals are a different issue. Involves drilling etc etc and I doubt I've got a drill bit that'll go through the pedals. The main issue is I have a module based accelerator which has a little sensor box at the bottom of the pedal. You need to drill into it and have a 4.5mm stop on. I just haven't got the kit to do it properly and if I tried to do it by eye and go it wrong I could end up drilling straight into the sensor which would cost me god knows how much to replace.

Will post up some pics when it's on. Mocked the spoiler up this morning and it looks wicked against the LMB colour.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Good decision phil I would never try to fit anything on my new e92 I would rather pay to have it done properly
Appreciate 0