E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > battery needs to be registered?

07-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

battery needs to be registered?

i have yet to take car to mechanic and rule out the alternator. i spoke to my SA and he told me it sounded like the battery and not the alternator...

....car needed a jump two days ago. i jumped it and drove for 20 min. shut car off and started up fine. i drove for an hour to my girls house. shut the car off and started fine a half hour later. i went to bed and woke up to a dead battery. i jumped for a second time. i drove car home and its been parked since for 3 days. i know it wont start so i have cables and battery pack on standby....

i called bmw and asked if an alternator is covered under CPO and it is. the SA was cool and he told me the batteries last 4 years. mine is an 06 330xi and would make sense the battery is on its last leg.

should i replace battery? im guessing its not as easy as buying one at pep boys and throwin it in? i came across something about registering a battery?? would any indy mechanic be able to test the battery and confirm that its def the battery and not the alternator?? i really dont want to go through the hassle of driving to dealership and waiting for their response and diagnostic fees when i can run down the street to my indy guy and have him run a simple test??
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

You can remove the battery and have autozone or someone test it for free.

If it is your battery, you do have to program the car for it. There is a how to in the DIY area. You need the atleast BT cable to do this.
Appreciate 0