E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Base Support System & Thule 91726 Universal Pull Top

07-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E90 335xi

BMW Base Support System & Thule 91726 Universal Pull Top

Hi all,

I just purchased the BMW Base Support System and after researching the forums, it seems that the Thule 91726 Universal Pull Top racks would fit onto the BMW OEM bars w/o a problem. It even says on Thule's site that it would fit 'most OEM load bars' and that it was 'universal'.

Turns out that the screws that connect the bracket to the carrier are not long enough (an issue that I have read up on before for the 91725, requiring an Xadapt 7 kit from Thule, which is basically just longer screws). I had believed that this issue would be resolved with the 91726.

Has anyone had luck mounting their either 91725/91726 onto the OEM BMW bars? I've heard that the BMW base support system is basically rebranded Thule Aero bars, funny that it doesn't mount properly.

Any input is appreciate, thanks!

-L
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by setofvs View Post
Hi all,

I just purchased the BMW Base Support System and after researching the forums, it seems that the Thule 91726 Universal Pull Top racks would fit onto the BMW OEM bars w/o a problem. It even says on Thule's site that it would fit 'most OEM load bars' and that it was 'universal'.

Turns out that the screws that connect the bracket to the carrier are not long enough (an issue that I have read up on before for the 91725, requiring an Xadapt 7 kit from Thule, which is basically just longer screws). I had believed that this issue would be resolved with the 91726.

Has anyone had luck mounting their either 91725/91726 onto the OEM BMW bars? I've heard that the BMW base support system is basically rebranded Thule Aero bars, funny that it doesn't mount properly.

Any input is appreciate, thanks!

-L

not sure this will help, but i bought the BMW base support system, and Thule Peloton 517 fork mount carriers. i ended up needing the Xadapt9 kit, but i bought some additional washers to increase the contact surface area between the Xadapt9 bolts and the channel in the BMW cross bars.

i called Thule, and apparently the BMW OEM system is mfged by them, but only in europe, and is not available in the US. go figure. if i had to do it again, i would probably get the thule base system for the e90 (it wasn't out when i bought my racks)
      07-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
not sure this will help, but i bought the BMW base support system, and Thule Peloton 517 fork mount carriers. i ended up needing the Xadapt9 kit, but i bought some additional washers to increase the contact surface area between the Xadapt9 bolts and the channel in the BMW cross bars.

i called Thule, and apparently the BMW OEM system is mfged by them, but only in europe, and is not available in the US. go figure. if i had to do it again, i would probably get the thule base system for the e90 (it wasn't out when i bought my racks)
ah, thanks. The reasoning behind buying the OEM BMW rails was because one of SAs that I was talking to used his employee discount and I ended up getting them for $150 instead of spending close to $300 for the Thule's.

I bought the Thule rack from EMS and they're actually in the process of contacting Thule for me to see if they can mail me longer screws for free. If not, I'll likely just bring the screw into Home Depot and find a similar longer screw with the same thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

EMS got back to me, they confirmed from Thule that I would need the Xadapt7 kit, which is basically 8 longer 'M6' carriage bolts.

I did some quick research online to look for some stainless steel M6 bolts with similar pitch thread to see if I could get it cheaper. EMS decided to charge me just short of $7 for the 8 bolts including shipping which I thought was fair. Retail of the Xadapt7 kit is $15 (wtf?). I'll be sure to update when the bolts arrive and I finally get this Thule set up.

-L
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

Got a Xadapt7 kit from Thule via EMS for $6. It literally is a bag of 8 bolts...can't believe they retail that for $15...

Now the Universal Pull Top fits onto my OEM BMW Rack...now to just wait till winter and mount this bad boy and hit up some mountains ;D
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
histandards
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

I know this is an old post, but I have the same setup as you did, bmw base racks and the universal pulltop.

It looks like the xadapt 7 is only 8 bolts, that's it. no nuts or anything. how is this going to work with the carrier? did you get the xadapt 9 kit as well?
Appreciate 0