E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Buy CPO vehicle and find problem less than a week later

07-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

Buy CPO vehicle and find problem less than a week later

Bought a CPO car from a local dealership recently. About 3 days later, I found out the passenger side headlight has a problem.

First, when I have headlight on auto the problem is intermittent. When it gets dark and the headlights turn on automatically, only the driver side works. There's also a light on the dash that is telling me a bulb is out.

But when I leave the headlight knob at 12 o'clock and turn on the headlights manually, this problem doesn't occur. The only thing wrong from manually turning on the headlight is that the passenger side headlight turns on about 3-5 seconds after the driver side.

My question is, should the dealership diagnose this problem and fix what is needed since I bought the car from them for less and a week and found the problem? I finally dropped the car off today to have them look at it. SA says he's not sure if they'll do this as a complimentary thing or charge me the for diagnostic and to fix it.

Feedback is appreciated.

FYI, bulbs are HID.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Ummm it BETTER be free. Dude don't pay a cent if they try to charge you call BMWNA. It's a CPO it shouldn't come with issues. Does it still have the 4 year maintenance free warranty? Either way don't pay a cent.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
Ummm it BETTER be free. Dude don't pay a cent if they try to charge you call BMWNA. It's a CPO it shouldn't come with issues. Does it still have the 4 year maintenance free warranty? Either way don't pay a cent.
My SA said this problem might not be covered under the 3 year warranty left on it.

Hopefully they're able to get my bluetooth code for the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan View Post
My SA said this problem might not be covered under the 3 year warranty left on it.

Hopefully they're able to get my bluetooth code for the car.
They did the same thing to me on my CPO. It seems they don't care about anyone who buys a used car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
They did the same thing to me on my CPO. It seems they don't care about anyone who buys a used car.
The other thing i'm pissed off about is not finding out the driver side foglight on my Z4 is somewhat loose. I didn't raise that issue yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
The other thing i'm pissed off about is not finding out the driver side foglight on my Z4 is somewhat loose. I didn't raise that issue yet.
All I have to say is do not compromise with them. They ended up making a deal with me and painting peeling trim. Ended up spraying the rubber under the trim now the rubber is going to crack.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
All I have to say is do not compromise with them. They ended up making a deal with me and painting peeling trim. Ended up spraying the rubber under the trim now the rubber is going to crack.
This is my 3rd bmw and I haven't had small problems like this. I've bought them all used.

Waiting for clarification on what they plan on doing for me tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
BTTGMan
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe - space gray

Latent defect. Free repair. End of story. They know it. Don't let them push u around.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
amarth1972
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 328i Sedan

I bought a 2008 CPO 328i, Driveshaft, rear brakes, and in cabin filter all needed to be replaced within a month, I brought it back said fix it give me a 5 series loaner and I ain't payin shit, all good....lol
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
amarth1972
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 328i Sedan

Oh yeah I forgot, the crappy tint job from previous owner had streaks, made them remove that as a tint shop charges alot for that, also color sanded the front end to get rid of bunch of little chips in paint, so you could say I was a little forceful but the bottom line is I took out the CPO checklist at the dealership, and marked off all the crap they obviously didn't check, they count on most people saying "oh well" or not noticing these things, its built into their bottom line, they gamble and probably usually win, take charge this is supposedly the ultimate buying experience as well !! lol
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Thats why its CPO. dont pay anything at all. CPO should have such items covered. dont let them verbally manipulate you. its CPO and you cannot have a major, necessary part such as headlights not functioning properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Bought a CPO car from a local dealership recently. About 3 days later, I found out the passenger side headlight has a problem.

First, when I have headlight on auto the problem is intermittent. When it gets dark and the headlights turn on automatically, only the driver side works. There's also a light on the dash that is telling me a bulb is out.

But when I leave the headlight knob at 12 o'clock and turn on the headlights manually, this problem doesn't occur. The only thing wrong from manually turning on the headlight is that the passenger side headlight turns on about 3-5 seconds after the driver side.

My question is, should the dealership diagnose this problem and fix what is needed since I bought the car from them for less and a week and found the problem? I finally dropped the car off today to have them look at it. SA says he's not sure if they'll do this as a complimentary thing or charge me the for diagnostic and to fix it.

Feedback is appreciated.

FYI, bulbs are HID.
Edit, fyi, headlamps are NOT covered under cpo
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otCovered.aspx

However,
Since you found the problem only 3 days after you purchased it, I would call the SALESMAN who sold you the car and tell him/her that they might charge you and you think that is ridiculous. I am sure if he wants to keep you for a future sale he will speak to the SA. If that doesnt work then if they do try to charge you, you should speak to a manager and if that still doesnt work then speak to bmw na. Good luck and keep us posted!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Technically headlight isn't covered. But for good will, it should be. Problem is good will and profits are inversely related. It's a total shame that a CPO buyer has to "hope" the dealership will cover it, or he's out $1000+ 4 days later. Car shouldn't never have been a CPO with one headlight, shouldn't have even passed a state safety inspection. But dealerships are about $$$. Remember, they make more $$$ on a used car than a new car. If they have to fix that headlight, their profit margin takes a hit (because BMW won't pay for it).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #14
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Insist they fix it. CPO or not the car should have been delivered to you with EVERYTHING working properly. Ask them how they passed it on the state inspection with a faulty headlight. That could be a problem for them. If they push you need to push back. I could see months later but days later, they need to step up and do what is right.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #15
EvolutionTheory
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

My e46 had lots of little issues and the dealership took care of them all. It only started to suck once its warranty ended.

With the e90 I've had to take it in once so far to fix a couple little things after first purchase but they have given me no issues and there is no charge. Both were CPO's.
In fact, a bulb was out on my headlight too before I bought the car and the dealership replaced it with no issues, of course they wanted the sale..

You shouldn't be having problems with them covering it though!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #16
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Edit, fyi, headlamps are NOT covered under cpo
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otCovered.aspx

However,
Since you found the problem only 3 days after you purchased it, I would call the SALESMAN who sold you the car and tell him/her that they might charge you and you think that is ridiculous. I am sure if he wants to keep you for a future sale he will speak to the SA. If that doesnt work then if they do try to charge you, you should speak to a manager and if that still doesnt work then speak to bmw na. Good luck and keep us posted!
The way it was explained to me from my SA was bulbs are not covered under CPO but the headlight assy is if a defect is found. I had both headlight assy replaced under CPO.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #17
BTTGMan
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe - space gray

Cpo or not, headlights are basic safety equipment. You could arguably return the car unless they pointed out the issue ahead of tome (and of course there's no way that a cpo has a headlight issue If actually meets cpo standards). Accordingly they will fix. Call sales guy and act pissed and threaten to return it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #18
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Everyone's saying that they "should" but unfortunately dealers like to play things by the book.

When my HPFP died and car could not start (out of basic warranty but still had HPFP extended warranty), I asked advice on this forum and everyone says that BMW "should" pay for my towing expenses. Unfortunately they did and would not, and I ended up paying myself. Writing a letter to BMW Canada did not help either... damn!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #19
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

the only thing you should pay is the $50 deductible if its out of the orig 4 yr/50k warranty or you did not extend it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #20
simonsingh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 640d

on a cpo car you have 30 days from date of purchase to rectify any faults
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #21
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slowly...

There is a BIG difference between being sold a CPO car with an inoperative headlight assembly and having a headlight assembly fail during ownership of a CPO car. In the latter case, sure, the CPO warranty will not cover the headlight repair. However, take a look at the CPO Inspection Checklist. In "Section 4: Mechanical", the first item to be checked, right at the top of the list, is "Headlight assembly". In the CPO inspection, the dealer is obligated to certify that each item "Meets BMW Guidelines & Standards". If the first time you turned on the headlights, a couple of days after your purchase, you noticed that the headlights were not FULLY functional, then the dealer FAILED to properly prepare the car for its CPO certification. In that case, the repair should be absolutely free. If the dealer tries to avoid his responsibility, politely inform him that you will report a fraudulent CPO transaction to BMWNA. On the other hand, if you have already driven hundreds of miles for several weeks before noticing a headlight problem (which sounds not to be the case), an argument could be made that the failure occurred well after purchase and is not covered by the CPO warranty.

NOW: Der 2016 GlitzundBlitzWagen mit ZMP und ZTR und...PCD'd 28Oct15
GONE: 2009 335i Coupe with MPPK ... 2006 M3 Coupe with SMG
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #22
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

in your case they should fix it for free, I bought mine CPO'd, within the first week, i find a few issues, missing 1 door handle light, peeling shifter, inside door handle pulled off the panel slightly and have a gap, I explained to my SA I just bought it under CPO a week ago, he ordered the parts and replaced them all for free. he made me feel like a million bucks, even though i bought a CPO car, not some 100K car there.
Appreciate 0