E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Winter Wheels - Pre Order by 29th July for Guaranteed Winter Delivery

07-22-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

Arrow BMW Winter Wheels - Pre Order by 29th July for Guaranteed Winter Delivery

Hi All,

We have an opportunity to pre-order sets of winter wheels and tyres for guaranteed delivery in advance of winter this year.
Pre-ordered sets are fulfilled first and any surplus stock will be available after the 29th July on a first come first serve basis.
E90post forum members discount does not apply to winter wheel and tyre sets due to limited margins.

For BMW 3 Series E9x

Style 12 (steel wheel) + Goodyear UG7+ (non run flat)
205/55R16 91H (size 7x16) = RRP £680 inc vat
(add wheel covers for £60)

Style 12 (steel wheel) + Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF RSC (run flat)
205/55R16 91H (size 7x16) = RRP £930 inc vat

Style 32 (alloy) + Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF RSC (run flat)
205/55R16 91H (size 7x16) = RRP £1,300 inc vat

Style 158 (alloy) + Goodyear Eagle UG GW3 ROF RSC (run flat)
225/45R17 91H (size 8x17) = RRP £1,600 inc vat

Style 284 (alloy) + Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT RSC (run flat)
225/45R17 94V XL (size 8x17) = RRP 1,600 inc vat

For BMW M3 E9xM

Style 270M (alloy) + Michelin Pilot Alpine PA3 (non run flat)
235/40R1895V XL (size 8x18) = RRP £1,900 inc vat

For BMW 5 Series F10/F11

Style 12 (steel wheel) + Pirelli W210 Sottozero (non run flat)
225/55R16 95H (size 7x16) = RRP £900 inc vat

Style 116 (alloy) + Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 ROF RSC (run flat)
225/50R17 94H (size 7,5x17) = RRP £1,540 inc vat

Style 122 (alloy) + Goodyear Eagle UG GW3 ROF RSC (run flat)
245/45R17 99V (size 8x17) = RRP £2,000 inc vat

I am pleased to announce that we can now also offer storage for your dismounted set of wheels and tyres at a secure BMW UK warehouse. Available from September 2011 the service will provide storage of your dismounted wheels until the next seasonal change. The charge for a full set is £25 per change over, this includes: handling, collection & delivery, storage and insurance. (Please not that due to the gittaboxes X5 and X6 sets require two gittaboxes and therefore will be charged as two sets of wheels, i.e. £50 for a set of wheels).

Please note that sets of wheels that are pre-ordered will need to be paid for in full by close of business on the 29th July 2011.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Hi Anneka,

Thanks. I'll be in the market if I buy an M3 before winter.

To confirm then; the price I (or we) will pay is the above quoted RRP?

Thanks
Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:40 AM   #3
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

Hi Matt,

We will be selling winter wheel and tyre packages at the RRP.
Last year we literally ran out of winter wheel and tyre sets. Most dealerships are pre-ordering popular sets to guarantee that they have some in stock for walk in customers, however, as those pre-orders will be fulfilled first we will have to wait a while before we know if any surplus stock is available for late orders.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #4
Fx1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320D E92

The scam that is winter tyres and wheels.

Over priced OEM wheels that buckle and break on a pot hole that they claim is the british roads fault.

Then to sell you more tyres because the ones BMW fitted are run flat rubbish crap that make your ride horrible and you can't deflate them enough to gain any extra traction in the ice and snow.

i spent more time on the road than most and i was in the snow 2 times last year and i never got stuck. including 140 mile trip from Scunthorpe to Birmingham in that blizzard.

in the event that i did get stuck i would have needed chains and not tyres to get me out.

Funny how someone i work with managed to get her Audi TT home with no problems and no special tyres with 2 wheel front drive just by letting some air out.

£1000-£2000 for a full set of tyres & wheels, to use once maybe twice per year.

Last edited by Fx1; 08-01-2011 at 03:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx1 View Post

Over priced OEM wheels that buckle and break on a pot hole that they claim is the british roads fault.

Then to sell you more tyres because the ones BMW fitted are run flat rubbish crap that make your ride horrible and you can't deflate them enough to gain any extra traction in the ice and snow.

i spent more time on the road than most and i was in the snow 2 times last year and i never got stuck. including 140 mile trip from Scunthorpe to Birmingham in that blizzard.

in the event that i did get stuck i would have needed chains and not tyres to get me out.

Funny how someone i work with managed to get her Audi TT home with no problems and no special tyres with 2 wheel front drive just by letting some air out.

£2000 for a full set of wheels and £1000 for a full set of tyres, to use once maybe twice per year.
Take it that's a thanks Anneka, but no thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Quote:

Does that mean that you wont be ordering a set then?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:

They don't have to be expensive, 18" Toyo Snowprox for my MV3's were £600. The car literally wouldn't have moved at all last winter without them fitted. We got hit worst with the snow in NE Scotland last year but even when the roads were just damp there was still a huge difference.

Why struggle with lack of grip when there is a solution that isn't too expensive?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

+1 to the above.
It's not just the snow,it's the low temperatures and icy conditions where these tyres excel.
I did the trawl from heathrow to Worcester last year during the bad snow.
I didn't put a foot wrong-many did and were stuck or abandoning their cars on the hard shoulder.
I don't have the luxury of a second 4x4,so some second hand mv3's and some wintracs was a small price to pay.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I'd like to know how using winter wheels and tyres is a scam?

BTW, I understand that BMW have already sold over 50% of their UK allocation, so some BMW owners/drivers feel it is worth buying a genuine wheel set.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Fx1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'd like to know how using winter wheels and tyres is a scam?

BTW, I understand that BMW have already sold over 50% of their UK allocation, so some BMW owners/drivers feel it is worth buying a genuine wheel set.

HighlandPete
The scam is around selling you tyres for winter because the run flats bmw uses are so bad in the ice and snow its near impossible to drive your car with them.

One thing having a spare set of tyres its another thing spending money on a whole brand new set of alloy wheels which BMW claim can't handle the british roads... (Their words not mine) Remember BMW already admitted on BBC watchdog that their wheels can't handle a pot hole... so selling you wheels for winter when potholes are their worst is just comical

Also don't believe the crap they tell you about 50% of their uk allocation being sold out.. just salesman talk.

I think its pretty crap deal having to drive around in bog standard alloy wheels for 3-4 months of the year at the cost of £1600

Lets not forgot where the money is going in this deal, its going to BMW for a new set of overpriced alloys... you can buy tyres for your current wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I could debate some of the issues about wheel choice and use in the UK, whether RFTs are worse than other high performance summer tyres, etc., but that is more a technical discussion.

But where is the scam in buying BMW wheel sets? Very common practice in some countries to have a car with two OEM wheel sets, summer and winter.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I posted this thread
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462018
last winter and some people asked what tyres were fitted....

They were standard Continental summer runflats on OEM wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
The scam is around selling you tyres for winter because the run flats bmw uses are so bad in the ice and snow its near impossible to drive your car with them.

One thing having a spare set of tyres its another thing spending money on a whole brand new set of alloy wheels which BMW claim can't handle the british roads... (Their words not mine) Remember BMW already admitted on BBC watchdog that their wheels can't handle a pot hole... so selling you wheels for winter when potholes are their worst is just comical

Also don't believe the crap they tell you about 50% of their uk allocation being sold out.. just salesman talk.

I think its pretty crap deal having to drive around in bog standard alloy wheels for 3-4 months of the year at the cost of £1600

Lets not forgot where the money is going in this deal, its going to BMW for a new set of overpriced alloys... you can buy tyres for your current wheels
Each to their own - I got a set last year for the 1 series and am very happy with them. We don't get much snow in Cornwall but they made life so much better in the wet, cold and on wet leaves too. Insofar as winter grip goes, rear wheel drive and the wide tyres that we all seem to want these days are the main issue not RFT technology. I agree that some BMW 19" wheels are a problem on pot holes as per watchdog, but that aside, the winter wheel sets are good value unless you want to keep the same wheels and just swap tyres.

In the rest of europe two sets of wheels is the norm these days.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
Fx1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
Each to their own - I got a set last year for the 1 series and am very happy with them. We don't get much snow in Cornwall but they made life so much better in the wet, cold and on wet leaves too. Insofar as winter grip goes, rear wheel drive and the wide tyres that we all seem to want these days are the main issue not RFT technology. I agree that some BMW 19" wheels are a problem on pot holes as per watchdog, but that aside, the winter wheel sets are good value unless you want to keep the same wheels and just swap tyres.

In the rest of europe two sets of wheels is the norm these days.
Im not debating how good the tyres are at all. I'm sure they are great.

Im talking about lumping in 4 new full price Alloy wheels and passing them off as "Winter wheels"

just a sales gimmick thats been forced on people now because of how crap RFTs are at just about everything apart from running flat.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

+1, that winter tyres are not just for when there snow. It's a bit late you are either stuck or in the ditch because you tried to make do with your wide summer tyres. RFT or non-RFT doesn't matter as the tyres will quickly pack up with snow in the groves. Insurance figures from last winter clearly show that a lot more people should have invested in appropiate tyres.

It may be a small outlay that you need to invest in an additional set of wheels, but you'll save the wear on your summer tyres and stay safe. So FX1, if mobility at all times and safety is not important for you then just ignore Anneka's offer and lighten up.

I enjoyed my WinTrac tyres very much this winter and they were amazing in the rain and colder periods. So no way I would go back to just running summers. Depending on how much you travel then it's worth noting that certain european countries like Germany by law require winter tyres. So don't think you'll be able to get away with just your summers and chains. If they stop you and see you are on summers they will fine you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Im not debating how good the tyres are at all. I'm sure they are great.

Im talking about lumping in 4 new full price Alloy wheels and passing them off as "Winter wheels"

just a sales gimmick thats been forced on people now because of how crap RFTs are at just about everything apart from running flat.
The BMW winter tyres come with alloy or steel wheels so why is it a scam offering alloys ? Nobody is forcing anyone to buy them or misleading anybody who can read the brochure.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Looks like facts and opinions can be ignored for convenience by the latest e90 troll
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
Fx1
Banned
Rep

im not stating facts here its my opinion.

and my opinion is that these cars can't handle 1mm of snow because of poor choice in tyres from BMW from the factory. As posted above the non run flat tyres with less PSI and more grip can handle some snow and most conditions.

If the cars came out the factory with proper tyres such as SP5's not only would we not need new tyres for winter we would have better ride full stop.

I think its a bit of a piss take that BMW wants to sell us more wheels and tyres to fix a problem created by them.

Add this onto the fiasco of cracked wheels and BMW's comments on Watchdog about UK roads and its icing on the cake.

If you got £1600 to blow on wheels which are good for about 2 weeks a year then you have more money than sense.

If anyone was considering winter tyres then id advice just going down quick fit and buying them and fitting them on your own wheels.

Last edited by Fx1; 08-01-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
You compared a RWD BMW with a FWD Audi TT in winter conditions!
      08-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

"If you got £1600 to blow on wheels which are good for about 2 weeks a year then you have more money than sense."

That comment says it all really.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #21
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

I don't think that it's mainly a BMW issue-I think that in winter conditions,the 'driver in the know' recognises that summer tyres are lacking and changes them accordingly.
You seem to be clouding your argument with your opinions of BMW and their pricing.
Non run flats aren't effective in winter weather,so if I'm right regarding the comment that you're making,whatever tyres BMW fit,bar all weather tyres maybe,you would be criticising them.
If you're not happy with the marque,move on.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #22
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I bought winter/alloy package last winter from Sytner. My brother told me I must have more money than sense. About a month later he wrote off his Jaguar on an icy road.
Appreciate 0