Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Steering Wheel vibration bt. 45-65 mph

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
TheBatM2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3C, Individual DBB

Steering Wheel vibration bt. 45-65 mph

Hi All,

I'm in a very bizarre situation with my 2006 330i with Sports pkg (44k miles). 3 weeks back I got a set of brand new Pirellis from Tire Rack and got them installed at a local NTB. Shortly thereafter I noticed steering wheel vibrations at 45-65 mpg. No vibrations is felt at lower speeds or at higher speeds but only in the range stated above. So I took my car to Firestone to get them Road Force balanced. Once the road force balance was done, I still continued to notice vibrations at the same exact speed and nothing changed. Next, I took my car to a wheel straightening place, (pretty shady establishment I must say) and the guy apparently straightened one of the front wheels and one of the back ones using the straightening machine. Still nothing has changed so far and I've completely run out of options.

Took the car to my BMW independent guy and he said that he can see noticeable wheel bends on both front wheels of my car. The weird thing however is that I never had a single steering wheel vibration on my old set of tires. Also, I don't remember hitting any potholes about the same time I got new tires.

There's no strange sounds or clicks coming from the car other then the steering wheel vibration while driving between 45-65 mph.

I'm considering buying new wheels but before I make that commitment, I want to make sure that I have the issue isolated.

Can you guys please help?? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated ...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Sometimes wheel/tire combinations won't balance together. Tire/wheel assembly is probably hitting some sort of frequency range that induces vibration. The tires still may have some sort of characteristic that will induce vibration at certain speeds. It's a crapshoot.

Bottom line, there's no guarantee that even if you're able to balance on the machine, it won't transmit forces when driving. If you have any bends in your wheels (can be seen while balancing as wobbling), there's an ever greater chance of vibrations occuring on a "balanced" assembly.

Another option is that something in your drivetrain is causing these vibrations.

Best bet to test if it's a drivetrain or tire/wheel is to try another set of tires/wheels from a vehicle that has no problems. If it goes away, you either get the wheels fixed at a reputable shop, or replace the wheels. If there's still an issue with good wheels, the tires have the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Sometimes swapping tires will cause a noticeable difference in steering wheel vibrations that you never noticed before. This generally happens because of the tire compound and tread design.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      07-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
jc328
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

i have the same problem. also had my wheels road force balanced and the guy said that my tires and wheels don't match. so i guess i'll just have to deal with it until i wear my tires out then swap them to new ones. i'm just a little concerned that it might ruin other components of the car like the suspension etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc328 View Post
i have the same problem. also had my wheels road force balanced and the guy said that my tires and wheels don't match. so i guess i'll just have to deal with it until i wear my tires out then swap them to new ones. i'm just a little concerned that it might ruin other components of the car like the suspension etc.
What do you specifically mean by "the tires don't match"?

-Charles@VMRWheels
      07-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
jc328
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

he was showing me that the wheel is balanced but i think it was the "road force" on the tires are exceeding the limits on the machine. i really could not understand what the repair guy was saying that the values on the wheels are ok but the tires are not. he said that changing my tires could solve the problem.
Appreciate 0