E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Got some new goodies to go on!

07-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Wyngo
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport Coupe

Got some new goodies to go on!

Got a few goodies that im gunna try and get on this weekend,dependant on the weather and how long they take!
Ive got some electric power folding wing mirrors(automatically dimming) to go on but didnt want to take apart the door cards two times put the mirrors on then after deciding a audio route take them off again so after hours of pondering and wondering the best option to go for with the audio ive decide on the following
Vibe litebox S4;
SWS-8X underseat subwoofers;
Ground Zero Radioactive GZRC 100FX;
QED 79 strand speaker cable;
Tweeter mouldings direct from bmw and the foam seals to go with them!

Hopefully picking my corner mouldings and seals from bmw tomorrow and the ground zero speakers should be being delivered as well!
ive thought long and hard what to do with the audio and was going to go with the bmw alpine upgrade due to the ease of install but have heard that its not as good as people expected, so after looking at different threads including sniffers awesome thread.The good thing that swayed me to go for the ground zero speakers was that they come with an adaptor which means they can go direct into the doors in my e92, also have read some good reviews of them without being overly expensive. This setup should hopefully give me the sound system i was used to after my old e46 m3 harmon kardon system(which was amazing)!
I will try and take some pictures of the install and give my opinion of the result!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Busy weekend ahead then!
How much wad the folding mirror kit?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Do you need to code the folding mirrors?

I ask as they pop out at above 15mph, so there must be a degree of software/module involvement?
      07-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Nice set up! where did u get the folding mirrors and for how much, if you don't mind me asking?
      07-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
E92BSM10
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-Sport Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Do you need to code the folding mirrors?

I ask as they pop out at above 15mph, so there must be a degree of software/module involvement?
Yeh thats what I thought I didn't know they were plug and play like the e46
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92K.C10 View Post
Yeh thats what I thought I didn't know they were plug and play like the e46
Defiantly needs coding, and also only work if you've got the right wiring loom in the first place. Theres a big thread on this somewhere on the interweb, a lot of hassle but defiantly possible...I'm making do with folding the mirrors by hand, one day i might get around to doing it, but needs lots of other things first

Wyngo: Let us know how you get on
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Wyngo
Rep

A update on what has gone on:
Fitted the mirrors and switch and everything working aso far but as people have mentioned i need to get them coded by bmw before they fold in so it booked into bmw fri so hopefuly they will get them sorted! I have been led to believe that these mirrors will work as i have got the six cylinder engine which includes heated mirror and dippin when reverse is selected and also electric seat memory why it needs this i dont know but fingers crossed for the weekend!
I bought the mirrors from ebay off a e92 m port that has been broken down for parts and just clipped off the white surroud and attatched my le mans blue covers!

As for the audio amp is in after around four hours installation and two hours of swearing trying to get it to work due to the input cables but all working fine and alot more oomph now! also fitted the new ground zero speakers yesterday and was not as easy as i originally thought so alot more swearing and head scratching on how to get around things but all on, and sounding sweet! i cant recommend these speakers enought reall good depth and quality although the max watt rating is 110w so if you turn the music too loud up you do get distortion due to the amp giving out high power but im sure i can cure this by playing with the crossover settings and amp settings.

all i got left is to make some spacers and fit the SWS earhtquake subs which should be done this weekend!

Also had a delivery from bmw of the performance grills which i will be putting on tomorrow hopefully!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Wyngo
Rep

Picked up my car yesterday, with the new addition of electric folding wing mirrors!
Waited all day and prepared myself for the worse then 4:30 got the phone call that my car was ready to be picked up and the coding went successfully!
Also when asked what was i quoted and he said its £150 but i said im sure it was £120 so he agreed and this included the vat!
Even though this isnt the cheapest of mods to do( all in all £300 pound for the mirrors and switch and £120 for coding,but being as the mirros are a £250 option from new not to bad) but worth every penny to get in and just automatically fold out, makes the car look more expensive in my eyes!
Before carrying out this mod you have to make sure your car is compatible as you will get charged for coding even if they cannot get the mirrors to work!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
E92BSM10
Brigadier General
England
Rep

What are the minimum specs for your car to have the elec fold mirrors retrofitted?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

I think you need to have memory seats to be sure that the right wiring loom installed. You can apparently also tell by taking off your existing mirrows and seeing how many wires are runing to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport

Garage List
you need to have electric seats as this option works on a network so has a cambus in place otherwise without this there is nothing to code for this option.
i tried and it failed as my car didnt have the cambus network.
      07-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #12
E92BSM10
Brigadier General
England
Rep

My bother in law has got a 09 E92 320d M sport like mine In blue but a less well speced one without folding mirrors or full electric mem seats, his car has semi electric seats would the mirrors work on his car? I could get it done for him if it works, £450 for that retrofit is a very good deal
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

I think you need Memory seats, not just electric ones...can any one confirm?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Wyngo
Rep

Yeh pretty sure you need the full electric seats, with memory function. and also that your mirrors have the dimming built in(standard on the 6 cylinder models) and the dipping function when reverse gear is selected. When i removed the mirrors there are three connections as wel as three cables going to them, this was the same in botht the electric folding and manual folding, the car must send a different signal down to tell the mirrors to fold.

Anyway a little update fitted my sws earthquake subs today, i wasnt overly impressed sound was much deeper but i dont know what i was expecting, think i need to play around with the settings on the amp to optimise the speakers and subs?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Im guessing the standard under seat subs are pap!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Wyngo
Rep

I had the basic audio version with 6 1/2" subs to be fair they were ok and when being driven by a amp do giv a good thump, but cant handle being turned up to aloud otherwise they distort and the earthquakes can go much lower frequencies so more of the song can now be heard and it sounds like it should!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Ive got a vibe sub that ive taken out of my 888. If i can wire it to the standard HU i will do. Depending on how i find the standard system! To be honest, since i installed it in the Astra i decided it was overkill and was turned right the way down!

is it easy to get through the bulkhead?

(Scrap that! Batterys in the boot still? was in my E39)
Appreciate 0