E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Industrial Paint "Overspray" and Jet Black Don't Mix!

04-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Industrial Paint "Overspray" and Jet Black Don't Mix!

My wife and I are both in the USAF, and work on an Air Force base. Like most government installations, there's always construction (making big rocks into smaller rocks is what it usually seems like). About 1/4 mile down the road from my wifes building they were constructing new jet fuel storage tanks - the ones that are several stories high. Well, the other day the contractor decided to paint the tanks - when the wind was least favorable. Instead of notifying everyone who worked on base that this was happening, they just decided to hope for the best. A couple of days later the contractor's rep starts going around to all the buildings nearby saying "Sorry, guess we got some paint on your cars and buildings. We'll fix it, though. Don't worry." (It was hard to see it due to the HUGE amount of pollen in the air) You've got to be kidding me.

My wife calls me up livid (I didn't know any of this was going on up until now) asking what the hell should she do. The rep tried to explain how they were going to fix it using clay bars and stuff, and at first I was pretty happy - I've been meaning to do that anyway. I checked the company out and they seemed pretty respectable - detailmasters.com. We got the car taken care of this week, and again at first I was happy. Paint was gone, pretty smooth finish, and it looked pretty nice. However, today I say it parked in the sun and saw some pretty bad swirl marks. I washed it today and damn, the swirls and scratches are pretty signficant. I tried to buff them out with a random orbital and some protective wax, but I think I need some more significant work done. I'm just so PO'd because all it would have taken was one of those emails that says "avoid this area for 24 hours," etc. But nooooo, this was one of those situations where the contractor would rather take the risk than delay work a day. Oh well - are swirls and scratches from a bad clay/polish job salvageable? It's not too bad, just enough to let you know the spots are there. Know any detail shops in Raleigh/Eastern NC? Thanks!
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimf15e View Post
My wife and I are both in the USAF, and work on an Air Force base. Like most government installations, there's always construction (making big rocks into smaller rocks is what it usually seems like). About 1/4 mile down the road from my wifes building they were constructing new jet fuel storage tanks - the ones that are several stories high. Well, the other day the contractor decided to paint the tanks - when the wind was least favorable. Instead of notifying everyone who worked on base that this was happening, they just decided to hope for the best. A couple of days later the contractor's rep starts going around to all the buildings nearby saying "Sorry, guess we got some paint on your cars and buildings. We'll fix it, though. Don't worry." (It was hard to see it due to the HUGE amount of pollen in the air) You've got to be kidding me.

My wife calls me up livid (I didn't know any of this was going on up until now) asking what the hell should she do. The rep tried to explain how they were going to fix it using clay bars and stuff, and at first I was pretty happy - I've been meaning to do that anyway. I checked the company out and they seemed pretty respectable - detailmasters.com. We got the car taken care of this week, and again at first I was happy. Paint was gone, pretty smooth finish, and it looked pretty nice. However, today I say it parked in the sun and saw some pretty bad swirl marks. I washed it today and damn, the swirls and scratches are pretty signficant. I tried to buff them out with a random orbital and some protective wax, but I think I need some more significant work done. I'm just so PO'd because all it would have taken was one of those emails that says "avoid this area for 24 hours," etc. But nooooo, this was one of those situations where the contractor would rather take the risk than delay work a day. Oh well - are swirls and scratches from a bad clay/polish job salvageable? It's not too bad, just enough to let you know the spots are there. Know any detail shops in Raleigh/Eastern NC? Thanks!
Well, IMO, you should of clayed if yourself, it's not that hard..they probably washed you're car and scratched it, or didn't wash it and scratched it with the clay bar, or used a too aggressive clay and scratched it, or a combination.

But since the damage is done already, YES the scratches/swirls can absolutely be removed (as long as they aren't very deep - like fingernail catching deep).

You won't get anywhere by buffing the swirls with a wax, most waxes aren't abrasive and therefore cannot remove scratches. If you're up to the task I would read up on some of the how-to's on this site about swirl removal and do it yourself, if you can't find a reputable detailer.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
You won't get anywhere by buffing the swirls with a wax, most waxes aren't abrasive and therefore cannot remove scratches.
Yeah, I would have loved to do it myself but I was a bit nervous and thought leaving it to professionals would have given me better results since I've never tried it before. Oh well. THe name brand wax I used was advertised as having an ability to fill in micro swirls and scratches, but I guess not quite enough. Thanks for the info - think I'll try a good detail shop. I'm not afraid of elbow grease, just making things worse
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

"Accidentally" drop some ordinances at the contractor's residence FTW..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Josh49
Major General
Rep

That wasn't the practice target???

ooooooooooooooooooooooops!!

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ha - wouldn't that be a great feeling! Then again, the contractor would find a way to blame the AF, extend the time to complete the job, make twice as much money, then sue the AF for damages.

What's that saying about the lowest bidder?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ha - wouldn't that be a great feeling! Then again, the contractor would find a way to blame the AF, extend the time to complete the job, make twice as much money, then sue the AF for damages.

What if you accidentally lost a flare towards his swimming pool when he's out for a swim after messing up all of your cars??

It just fell off the plane somehow???

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Josh49
Major General
Rep

What color is it by the way?? You could buy the same color paint they're using on the tanks and paint their personal vehicles with it?? Mask the wheels and windows, make sure to do a clean job..

Man, I would be so pissed off, the thoughts in my head are stacking up so fast..

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Would like to see some photos of the scratches and swirls of your JB.
I also guess unless the guys were playing really rough, a single bad waxing and claying job should not have damaged too much of the clear coat.
I found Mothers Ultimate 3-Step formula works pretty well to minimize minor scratches on my JB. The Sealer & Glaze will do a nice job.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow in the sunlight. Turns out the 'wax' I've been using is actually a bit of both - Meguiar's NXT. Looks like it can do a pretty good job filling in some of the swirls. I finished up the cleaning after the sun set, and only have fluorescent lights in the garage. It looks pretty good in there, but I know the sun will reveal all!

BTW, Josh49 - how's this... find the contractor's home address and do some 'low flying' during my sortie tomorrow night... At 10pm... In full 'burner...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #11
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
BTW, Josh49 - how's this... find the contractor's home address and do some 'low flying' during my sortie tomorrow night... At 10pm... In full 'burner...
Sounds good..

How many gun rounds do you usually carry? Would anyone really notice if two or three were missing?? I really don't think anyone would...

Except for the contractor when it rains next..

Last edited by Josh49; 04-08-2007 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
That'll work...my boss (manager for a maintenance base for an airline i work for) used to work in the AF in the state of Arkansas working on C-130's....well a few times he'd go to sleep and about 6am in the morn a few fighter jets would be heard at full afterburners and then pull up vertically above his sleeping place at the base...he'd jump out of bed and not know wtf is going on in his sleep while standing there for a few seocnds until the sounds fades away.

since I work in a busy airport, 2 F-16's did come for about 2 hours stay, as they took off the damn noise they make sounded like someone is running a engine at full throttle in the hanger...I run outside and see 2 of them taking off side by side on a runway that can handle up to a 767.

Pretty sure the ATC or the airport got a shitload of calls from the damn houses around the airport complaing of louder than normal noise

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
Josh49
Major General
Rep

I love the sound... It's absolutely incredible..

Next closest thing is F1 cars..

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I used to live under the flight path to NAS Moffett Field. Never could sleep past 10 am on a Sunday for the C-5 inbound.

As for the original posting, the same thing happened where I work but I don't recall the contractor offering to do anything about it. We all had to deal with it on our own dime, er, pence.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Claying shouldn't create swirls and scratches. What they most likely did was use an abrasive rubbing compound and orbital machine. I'm sure they were told to "just get the paint off".

Have you spoken with them? Tell them the results are not satisfactory, and if you need to involve the management of the base via formal complaint, or your insurance company with them named as the vandals - you will. If they agree to further repair it, you should insist that you select the shop and talk to them first about your desired results.

Best of luck. Negligence really pisses me off.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Some more aggressive clay can cause some swirling. Tell them the results are unsatisfactory and before the detail shop does their job, ask them exactly what steps and products they are going to do.

A glaze/wax typically will not get rid of the swirls, they may contain oils that hide/fill the swirls. The right pad/product combo should be able to get rid of most swirls without a problem. It's really hard to say without actually looking at the swirls. Unfortunately stuff happens. It is how the company takes care of the problem is what is important.

p.s. NXT is a cleaner wax.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Id say it probably needs a light polish compound and then the NXT
      04-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #18
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the info and responses. After last night's wash and wax with NXT, I got a chance to check it out in the sun. It looks 1000x better, thankfully. I did have to get up close to see any swirls or scratches, but none of the larger spots were there and the sun didn't make it look godawful like it did prior to yesterday. And thankfully now I can see all the hard water spots were removed. I really would like to do a complete polish as Fleet suggested, followed by the wax - maybe this weekend if it gets nicer. BTW, what does it mean when it says "cleaner wax?" I know a wax is not supposed to be abrasive, but does cleaner wax mean it has some micro-abrasives, but not quite a polish? Either way, it worked pretty good. I know it's not up to the level of finish some posters on here have, but one day...

Still haven't found the coords to the contractor's house, but I'm on a mission. Heh heh. Luckily we don't get too many noise complaints out here in the Eastern NC boonies, but we try to keep it to a minimum - no take offs or landings <0700 or >2230. And only supersonic >15nm from the coast or above 30,000'. But if anyone is interested, feel free to send me the lat/long of your house!

Thanks again for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #19
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Claying shouldn't create swirls and scratches. What they most likely did was use an abrasive rubbing compound and orbital machine. I'm sure they were told to "just get the paint off".
This is actually not correct. Incorrect claying can absolutely create scratches, marring, and swirl marks.

However, what is more likely than them going to town with compound and a machine is they washed the car... using the same mits or sponges they'd just finished using on every neighbor's dirty car.

That for sure will create scratches and swirls.

Right idea.

Wrong execution.

On the bright side, swirl marks can be removed very easily. Random orbital with wax isn't the way to do it. Call a reputable detailer or polish with a mild polishing compound (Meguire's #82 Swirl Remover, Menzerna FPII, or Zaino ZPC) and a polishing pad. If the scratches are deeper, Meg #83, Menzerna IP, or Poorboy's SSR 2.5 w/ a polishing pad or light cutting pad. If that is all gibberish to you, call a detailer.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Cleaner wax cleans your paint from oxidation, road debris, etc.. I suspect NXT has some fillers that is hiding your swirls. Your swirls are probably not gone, they are just filled. For proper swirl remover you will most likely need a process as Lkraven suggested.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #21
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:

Sorry to be off topic, but what does it feel like to be piloting around in an 80,000lb jet? I happen to be a big fan of the F-15E
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #22
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Quote:
....... BTW, what does it mean when it says "cleaner wax?" I know a wax is not supposed to be abrasive, but does cleaner wax mean it has some micro-abrasives, but not quite a polish? Either way, it worked pretty good. I know it's not up to the level of finish some posters on here have, but one day.....
Have a go with Mothers Sealer&Glaze.
Jet Black paint is very responsive to it.
Some related links:
http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=2077

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=6288

BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0