E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Michelin N rated alloys and e90??

06-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Michelin N rated alloys and e90??

Hi Guys

Another technical question for the wizzards amongst us:

Is it possible/recomended to fit Michelin N3 tyres to the BMW e90 M Sport (front tyres)?

I have seen some for sale but ran a check and apparently N3 are Porsche fitment but wanted to know if they would be ok on my bimmer....

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

This is the official line, I've highlighted (in red) the applicable comment.

Quote:
British Tyre Manufacturers’ Association

Vehicle Specific Tyres

Vehicles homologated on specific tyres should have the equivalent replacements fitted when they require changing.
Specific tyres for a specific vehicle (and marked accordingly) are possible. It is recommended to follow the vehicle handbook guidelines closely (or seek assistance from vehicle or tyre manufacturers) when changing these.

Examples are possible where one could deviate from those marked and others where that is not recommended

e.g.

1) MO marking for Mercedes. It is possible to fit non-MO marked (and could use MO marked for another vehicle)

2) N-marked tyres for Porsche. Due to the particular characteristics of their vehicles, Porsches must take the correct N-marked fitments. It is also recommended that N-marked tyres are not used on any other vehicles.

Others versions exist in the main for performance/prestigious vehicles such as Porsche, Chrysler, Ferrari, Mercedes AMG, Audi, Bentley, BMW and others.

NB: Other countries may have different laws regarding the replacement of Original Fitment tyres.

If in doubt, always contact your vehicle or tyre manufacturer for advice.
We can use an MO tyre for example, but it's not recommended to use the N fitment. I'd think there is also an insurance implication to using a tyre that is not recommended in the tyre industry.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

Cheers HighLand Pete - exactly what I was after. I'll leave the tyres then even the guy maintains they'll be ok...lets keep it all things BMW eh?! Lol
Appreciate 0