E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about Euro Delivered 335i e90 (clunk in steering wheel)

04-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Question Question about Euro Delivered 335i e90 (clunk in steering wheel)

I picked up my car in Munich last Friday (3/30) and it's truly awesome. My first BMW and I really love it. That said after about 50 miles of driving I noticed a clunking feeling in the front end that was being directly transmitted to the steering wheel. It doesn't seem to be 100% related to bumps in the road which sort of had me confused. Of course now the car is dropped off for shipping and redelivery in the states so I just have to sit and wonder what's wrong and will it be repaired before I take delivery in 4-8 weeks.

This sensation (a clunk that was felt more than heard) just seemed out of character for a car that was otherwise so freakin' smooth and great even with sports package, etc. I also have the 6MT. The sensation was not noticeable at highway (autobahn!) speeds.

Thanks!
      04-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I dont really know about how this whole ED thing works. As far as I know the VDC will repair any damage done to the car's body (e.g. door, bumper). For mechanical problems I think you'd have to take delivery of it at your local dealer and have them check it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, that's cool. I'm just as interested if anyone is familiar with the sensation I described and what the problem might be. I'm hopeful it's something in the steering/front suspension geometry that just didn't get torqued correctly at the factory rather than a drivetrain issue which could mean a car with 257 miles on the clock getting ripped apart.

The VPC definitely fixes exterior damage to the car but I don't know how much they would drive it to see if it drives correctly. Theoretically if the car took a solid hit in an accident in Europe and needed bodywork they'd also want to check that the car drives correctly I'd think.
      04-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

there were some threads about the steering column being faulty (i.e. broken, cracked, etc.) Just have them check it out when it reaches your local dealer. G'luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

when you get your car in the states, ask the dealer to check out the "hydro steering Column". Mine had a similar problem and that's the warranty repair job they did. No probs after that.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've now got my car back in the states (yes!) and this problem persists. I now can nail it down to only appearing after driving in bumper to bumper city traffic for a good amount of time. I've only had the car for a few days and obviously don't want to give it up but will probably be taking it to the dealer sooner rather than later. I don't notice the problem first thing in the morning or driving around at lunch but my slow, crawling afternoon commute makes the problem more prevalent. This is consistent with my experiences in Germany as the problem was really bad after driving through some nasty city traffic in Munich.
      05-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
A few possible causes for the clunk you are hearing
Steering column

Brake pad/rotor issue (I had this on my A4) - does the clunking occur during braking?

Shipping blocks - on the suspension during transport, from the posts on here it seems fairly common that they are forgotten and left on the car after delivery

Try to isolate the problem with specific actions i.e. happens when turning the wheel, braking, going over slight bumps etc

Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm about to go for a drive now that traffic should have lightened up. I don't notice the problem in the mornings, but I get in a cold car and drive only interstate to work - very little stop/go.

In the afternoon commute I deal with a lot of bumper-to-bumper 1st --> 2nd --> 1st gear traffic. It's very noticeable through the steering wheel, and if I turn the radio down I can sort of hear it.

I'm going to experiment while the car's relatively warm.
      05-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've made an appointment on Monday morning at my dealer. The problem was not as obvious this afternoon, and I can't pinpoint any action on my part that initiates the problem other than it becomes more obvious when the car's been driven stop and go for a while. I did a lot of no traffic driving on the autobahn and twisties in the Alps and never noticed the problem, or it was so subtle that I chalked it up to me doing extensive driving in my first, brand new BMW and not being accustomed to the driving feel. I want this addressed because I am absolutely thrilled with the car and the twin-turbo otherwise. I'm getting a clear bra installed tomorrow.
      05-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
jfulcher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Monaco E92

Are they going to provide you a loaner? Good luck getting the problem fixed!
      05-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #11
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfulcher View Post
Are they going to provide you a loaner? Good luck getting the problem fixed!
Yeah, I'm getting a loaner. I hope it's something as simple as a shipping block but that would be too easy. It's sort of a bummer but other than this everything about the car is perfect. Good luck getting yours - it CAN'T be long now!
      05-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #12
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just got a call from my service manager. Their service director drove the car extensively and determined . . . <drumroll please> . . . that the tires were inflated to 60psi. He said once they were deflated to the right pressure (he said 35psi) the car drives like a completely different car (I'm sure). Funny thing is the car felt firm but not overly harsh as if the tires were at 2X the recommended PSI.

I need to look I guess at the door frame (isn't that where the inflation recommendations are?) and see what the proper PSI is for the sport package tires. If this is the cause of the problem (I'm hoping they're right) then that means that the tires have been way over-inflated since I picked it up in Munich since I experienced the same clunking there.

Anyone wanna call on my service manager's rationale here?

The good news is they're patching and respraying the front bumper to remove the unsightly license plate frame holes and I get the car back this afternoon.
      05-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Wow! 60 PSI is way too much! Did you put that much in, or did the dealer? That will make a big difference, so keep an open mind about what your SA says.

I like to run about 2 psi over recommended pressure, and usually run both cars at 34 front and 39 rear. Others have recommended 35/35 to reduce understeer.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #14
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Wow! 60 PSI is way too much! Did you put that much in, or did the dealer? That will make a big difference, so keep an open mind about what your SA says.

I like to run about 2 psi over recommended pressure, and usually run both cars at 34 front and 39 rear. Others have recommended 35/35 to reduce understeer.
Since it was redelivered last Tuesday I didn't even think to check such a thing. Yeah, I'm hoping this resolves it - it should definitely improve the ride quality and handling which was already pretty good. I'm hopeful that the problem is resolved because this means that my dealer doesn't have to start ripping apart steering or suspension components on a car with less than 500 miles on it.

I CAN'T WAIT to get it back.
      05-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
jfulcher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

How much did they charge you to patch the holes?
      05-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #16
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfulcher View Post
How much did they charge you to patch the holes?
I was told over the phone "less than $200" but it was an estimate as the paint guy's boss was not there yet. They only show up on Wednesdays. I just hope it's quality work. I'm guessing it's still quite a bit cheaper than a new bumper, getting it painted and installed. I'm putting a clear bra on there in the next couple of weeks but the installer said to give the new paint a chance to cure before having the bra installed. I saw a 5 series with a smooth bumper today (no plate) and it's definitely the look I want. It was either that or use the Zoll plate to cover up the holes - I don't necessarily want to advertise for a dealer. If the car was a lease I probably would not obsess over it so much.

Is your car STILL at the VPC?
      05-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #17
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

funny thing is that I can feel a clunk on mine too when I steer at slow speeds and the steering wheel goes off center. ie., parking lot situations.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
jfulcher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I was told over the phone "less than $200" but it was an estimate as the paint guy's boss was not there yet. They only show up on Wednesdays. I just hope it's quality work. I'm guessing it's still quite a bit cheaper than a new bumper, getting it painted and installed. I'm putting a clear bra on there in the next couple of weeks but the installer said to give the new paint a chance to cure before having the bra installed. I saw a 5 series with a smooth bumper today (no plate) and it's definitely the look I want. It was either that or use the Zoll plate to cover up the holes - I don't necessarily want to advertise for a dealer. If the car was a lease I probably would not obsess over it so much.

Is your car STILL at the VPC?
I'm not sure on my car, I'm going to call Adrian this afternoon and see what's going on there.

I'm hoping that they removed the front plate thing at the VPC since they had to repair my bumper and just filled the holes in for me, but I'm sure that's wishful thinking.. Even if they replaced the bumper I bet they put it back on.. I'm probably going to put the Zoll plate back on if so, if I don't like the look then I'll probably do what you did and just have them fix it there..
      05-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #19
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I think it is common procedure to over inflate the tires for transit - especially on a ship. But the dealer or VPC should adjust them before you get the car.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
funny thing is that I can feel a clunk on mine too when I steer at slow speeds and the steering wheel goes off center. ie., parking lot situations.
Can you describe this sensation a bit better? I got my car back and the ride is noticeably softer but I still feel the same thing I was feeling. It might be lessened but I don't think so. I'd have to drive another E9X sport to know what "normal" is - perhaps it's just the way the car feels. The 2006 E90 328i non-sport I had as a loaner did not exhibit this behavior.

It's such a minor thing I'm going to drive the car for a while so I can get a better handle on it. I've also got a buddy at work who had an E46 M3 so I may let him get behind the wheel and give his impression as to whether something feels "wrong".

I really feels like something in the front suspension to me, like during low speed turns something starts "bouncing" and it's felt through the steering wheel as a knocking, tapping or clunking depending on the intensity.
      05-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #21
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Read some of the older threads. Search for "steering column" and you'll find this issue (as well as a couple other unrelated issues).

This is not totally uncommon. I have this on my E90 -- a bit of a "clunk" in the steering wheel that you feel at low speeds, if you turn the wheel is 90 degrees right or left, right at the apex of the turn before turning the wheel the other direction to straighten out. It almost feels as if the steering lets go for a split second and grabs again to start turning the wheels back the other way.

The sensation is subtle enough that it is more annoying than anything, and I only notice it when going slow (parking garages, mostly). Another member here pointed out to me that you can feel it even when the car is stationary, if you turn the wheel left, right, left.

So I took my car in to the dealer a week ago to have this looked at and also do a s/w update. I was armed with a typed description of what it is and how to reproduce it, along with the SA contact info from another member who had this issue fixed (by replacing his steering column).

I rode with the service manager, who said he couldn't feel it at all. I asked if I could drive to show him. He said okay, so I showed him how the steering wheel does indeed make a bit of a clunk. At that point, he acknowledged that it was there but said he thought it was completely normal for all E90s. He made me feel like a car hypochondriac for complaining about it.

He said he would test some other E90s and if they didn't have it, they'd look at it closer. Otherwise, they wouldn't do anything. Needless to say, they didn't do anything -- but they did update my iDrive software, so the visit wasn't a total loss.

I'm still living with the clunk. To be honest, in general the steering feels really dialed in and the car is completely solid and problem-free, so it's tough to complain about this. I had a feeling the SA would say it was nothing. It's really not that noticeable and I bet it was worse on other cars here on e90post where people got the steering column replaced. Also, I'm not crazy about getting the steering column replaced, if that's what fixes it. On the other hand, if it gets worse, or if it just bugs me to no end, I'll take it back again until they actually fix it.

If you get yours fixed, PM me the info. If I can't get this addressed by any dealers here, maybe I'll eventually just drive down to Atlanta.
      05-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #22
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks BK, at least I know I'm not crazy! You are right, it is an annoyance more than anything. For some reason it was really bad right before I dropped my car off for shipment from Munich, but only sort of noticeable since the car was redelivered. Letting air out of the tires (to proper inflation) seems to have helped tremendously, and I'm in the same camp as you. The car is purrrrfect otherwise and I prefer what was done to it at the factory over what service folks here in Georgia might do to it. I said the same thing to a friend about the hypchondria yesterday . . .

At any rate I decided last night that I'll just live with it for now. If it grows into more than an annoyance then I'll get more serious about trying to get it fixed.

I really love this car.