E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tint Shop Story....Tint Help...

04-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
BMW_MAFIA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

Tint Shop Story....Tint Help...

When you guys got ur tint done, Did they have to take off the door panels.... I got into this big argument with the guy at the tint shop.... because i told them not to take off my door panels.... so he said we wont do the tint without taking off the door panels, Then i told him to give me my money back and he told me there are no refunds..... so i argued with his ass for about 1 hour.... and finally he gave me my refund and gave me store credit 25 dollars for the material, because they had already cut the film...

So i was just wondering if u guys took ur door panels off for the tint.... and if not how did it come out.....?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
ck1129
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

LOL thats the proper way to do it.

Coming soon : Black and White BMW roundels, Black out grill.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

+1 I've heard of it, but hardly anyone does it that way, too time consuming and customers bitch about the extra $$$... Makes for a much better job form what I've heard.
      04-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Gotta ask though, Why the hell are you arguing with the tint guys? WTF were you worried about?

Seriously...
      04-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Yep. That's funny. Go back there, eat crow, and get it done.
      04-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
BMW_MAFIA
Private
Rep

i was arguing with the owner.... and the tint guy looked like a moran he was biting his nails and he looked like he didnt know what the hell he was doing i didn't want him taking the doors off.... i just had a bad vibe about the whole thing so i called it off....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_MAFIA View Post
i was arguing with the owner.... and the tint guy looked like a moran he was biting his nails and he looked like he didnt know what the hell he was doing i didn't want him taking the doors off.... i just had a bad vibe about the whole thing so i called it off....

See that's the kind of information you need to post up, NOT leave out. What you are saying is totally understandable and rational. Seriously, I've been there, hell I was right there with ya last week trying to buy house paint. Lady behind the counter had said some really dumb things, in regards to paint and tints and such so just like you I said "Never Mind" and I was out... Just didn't trust em', Makes perfect sense.

Contact your Dealer, see if they have someone they use a lot. Check out the operation when you get there, make sure everything is clean and orderly...
      04-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I dont know about the door panel but they do take the windows out and "bake" the film on there. Take it to a pro/quality tint shop and get it done. I'd pay more for that peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
BMW_MAFIA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
See that's the kind of information you need to post up, NOT leave out. What you are saying is totally understandable and rational. Seriously, I've been there, hell I was right there with ya last week trying to buy house paint. Lady behind the counter had said some really dumb things, in regards to paint and tints and such so just like you I said "Never Mind" and I was out... Just didn't trust em', Makes perfect sense.

Contact your Dealer, see if they have someone they use a lot. Check out the operation when you get there, make sure everything is clean and orderly...
Thanks Bro... ill do that...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
lance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe

Okay,...if you have the E92 328 then,..NO you dont need to take the door panels off and it won't look any better if you do. All you do is release the window pull down mech and you can tint the window by pushing the gaskets down. Then heat the bottom of the window and pull the gaskets back up and thats it. On the E46 models I usually took the door panels off mainly cause I had done so many of them so it was a breeze.
      04-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
I dont know about the door panel but they do take the windows out and "bake" the film on there. Take it to a pro/quality tint shop and get it done. I'd pay more for that peace of mind.
WTF? your kidding right?

when you say "take the window out" you actually mean out of the car?

i would flip if i take my car in to get tinted windows and see my windows out of the car. your talking about a lot more then removing a door panel, in order to take the windows out you you need to break the vapor panel. if anyone has owned more then 1 bmw you KNOW that is a huge mistake, your asking for huge problems.

I have had many cars tinted by some real high end shops and never once did they take the windows out. Yes they did remove the door panels, but thats only a few screws and clips.

As far as "baking" tint onto the window, a blow dryer or heat gun does the job, and helps remove any bubbles that might be in the tint.
      04-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleo View Post
WTF? your kidding right?

when you say "take the window out" you actually mean out of the car?

i would flip if i take my car in to get tinted windows and see my windows out of the car. your talking about a lot more then removing a door panel, in order to take the windows out you you need to break the vapor panel. if anyone has owned more then 1 bmw you KNOW that is a huge mistake, your asking for huge problems.

I have had many cars tinted by some real high end shops and never once did they take the windows out. Yes they did remove the door panels, but thats only a few screws and clips.

As far as "baking" tint onto the window, a blow dryer or heat gun does the job, and helps remove any bubbles that might be in the tint.

Nope. NOt kidding. Check out http://www.californiaautotinting.com/
I was hesitant at first but they work on a lot of exotic cars and my friend got his done there.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Well i seriously hope they replaced your vapor panel.

I guess when you live in Cali you dont worry that much about moisture creeping in, but when you get as much rain and snow like we do, i wouldnt even think of doing something like that.
      04-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #14
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Taking door panels off to tint cars is pretty normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #15
p166mmx73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

Garage List
Don't let them take the speaker trim panel (little plastic triangle) towards the front of the window. Don't think that needs to come off, and they ended up busting the clip on the piece. When I got the car back, the trim didn't look like it was seated correctly.

No matter... I ordered a replacement for $17 and will just put it on myself.

328xi Coupe | Space Gray | Black/Dark Burl
AT | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | NAV | Logic7 | CA | PDC
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

I would have been surprised as well, but since I dont know anything about windows tinting, I would have gone to a well known place and just let them work on the car
      04-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

I had Huper 40 installed at the Lexus dealership in Raleigh (they are the only ones here to do HO) and they told me they have a process to NOT take off the panels.

And BTW, BMWs are much more fun to drive then Lexus's, but wow, was the service INCREDIBLE at the Lexus dealership. Makes BMW look like a Yugo dealer in this aspect.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #18
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
why would you pay for the service up front... you pay for it after.

and that is the best way to tint... i don't know why your all worked up about it... you thought they were unexperienced because they took your panels off and therefore didn't want the service done by them... its all good to not want the service done by them because your uncomfortable with their methodology... but to say that they're unexperienced isn't exactly the case... it's more like your unexperienced with tinting.

--edit

to clarify... is it a tinting place that bakes it onto the window meaning you have to take the window completely off... or is it a place that simply removes the window trim on the door to get access to the window.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #19
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_MAFIA View Post
When you guys got ur tint done, Did they have to take off the door panels.... I got into this big argument with the guy at the tint shop.... because i told them not to take off my door panels.... so he said we wont do the tint without taking off the door panels, Then i told him to give me my money back and he told me there are no refunds..... so i argued with his ass for about 1 hour.... and finally he gave me my refund and gave me store credit 25 dollars for the material, because they had already cut the film...

So i was just wondering if u guys took ur door panels off for the tint.... and if not how did it come out.....?

Hey buddy, I had my wifes 325i and my Honda Civics windows tinted there and their work is superior to any other tint job I've seen Let me know if you're in my 'hood to take a lQQk at their work.
Attached Images

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0