2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs How to best care for BMW Nappa leather?

06-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

How to best care for BMW Nappa leather?

I read a substantial number of threads on the forums and the only thing I ended up with is... controversy ;-) Here's the deal - I've just noticed my 3 mos old Oyster Nappa seats are starting to show some signs of wear - you know - bit of wrinkles, whereas they used to be super smooth when I picked up the car, but c'est la vie I guess. Anyway, I started to research how to best clean and protect Nappa leather. Turns out it's not as straightforward as I had hoped it to be. Although cleaning is pretty much straightforward I've read very different things re conditioning - some people say an UV cream is all you need as the leather is clearcoated and using any kind of conditioner is a waste. Some say otherwise. There's a general consensus that brands such as Leatherique make good products, but as apparently you can't find that in the EU I went for the expensive Swissvax cleaner/conditioner combo. Yet, what's really the best way to condition/protect/maintain BMW nappa leather? Apart from the 65 E per unit Swissvax combo any good products out there? By the way I am happy to report that so far I have had zero jeans dye transfer and I do wear jeans a lot
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Do you have Lexol in Europe? Leatherique is great, but it's very expensive and the application can be a bit cumbersome.
DIY Keep Leather Seats & Interior New...Forever
      06-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Yes, thanks, one can find Lexol in Europe, only thing is... I read it's not safe for Nappa leather ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
Yes, thanks, one can find Lexol in Europe, only thing is... I read it's not safe for Nappa leather ;-)
The product you want to avoid is: Lexol Neatsfoot Leather Dressing is not recommended for suede or super soft leather. The other products are fine for Nappa
What you may want to avoid is using too much product and not so much water as Nappa tends to hold more moisture than Dakota. Also spray the product on your towel or applicator and not directly on the seat. Lexol has a new 3-1 product for people who are less inclined to use multiple products. On a new car, this is all you're ever going to need.
Apply the product with a Microfiber or terry cloth applicator round to ensure even application and less product waste. Use sparingly and wipe off immediately.