E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > To Sunroof or not to Sunroof?

04-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

To Sunroof or not to Sunroof?

I got to thinking about whether to spec a sunroof on any future BMW purchases....it seems that they help the resale of a car and they certainly are popular on demo models...

Also, what other options do people out there tend to go for? (I know options are individual choice...just interested in why people choose certain options).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

They are standard here in the US?
"When you are passionate, you always have your destination in sight and you are not distracted by obstacles. Because you love what you are pursuing, things like rejection and setbacks will not hinder you in your pursuit. You believe that nothing can stop you!" - Coach K

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chade7320 View Post
They are standard here in the US?
yea they are in the states...but we are in the Australia forum!

Having one, I use it pretty often, and would have ordered it even if it wasn't standard!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Yeah...if you don't need more headroom, then get it with the sunroof. If you don't order with sunroof, you probably get an half inch more headroom.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
there is no way i would buy a coupe/sedan without a sunroof! i loved the sunroof on my first car, but i went one better with the vert now..

another option i couldn't do without now, seeing as i have had it on both my cars, is heated seats, i use them all the time

also, electric seats...

sports pack...

and if it was another bmw, probably another individual
      04-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

If only I could have gotten Aus Delivery option. Would never get a sunroof if I had that option.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
I wont be buying another car without a sunroof... I love my sunroof and use it everyday in the tilt position and when its sunny...hey its open for the sky view!
      04-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
rodders
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i sports

definately a must.

Had sunroof on my last two BM's but only wish it would open on tilt a little more to let more air in.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

For resale only, I hardly ever use mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #10
sevey
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I saved the money from the sunroof and put it towards a 325 over a 320..... love the bigger engine.
      04-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #11
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

As I've said before, sunroof a must. I think the other option is the sport pack. Anything that differentiates is always good. Even if trading in as opposed to selling privatly, dealers and wholesalers are looking at how easy is it going to be to off load the car. I don't think you cango wrong with these two options but I can think of others that would yeild you nothing on resale.

Options are still going to depreciate at the same level as the rest of the car so it is important that you buy them for your personal comfort or happiness.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #12
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
As I've said before, sunroof a must. I think the other option is the sport pack. Anything that differentiates is always good. Even if trading in as opposed to selling privatly, dealers and wholesalers are looking at how easy is it going to be to off load the car. I don't think you cango wrong with these two options but I can think of others that would yeild you nothing on resale.

Options are still going to depreciate at the same level as the rest of the car so it is important that you buy them for your personal comfort or happiness.
Yes, we've had this discussion before. During the (still on-going) selling process of my E90, I have noticed a few things (for any members in Aus that want to take note)

1. People seem to be pretty keen on sunroofs
2. Artic doesn't seem to be a popular colour for resale
3. Most people enquiring are males and people won't move on price - not like when I was selling my coupe - people just want a 320 to get on the brand ladder as cheaply as possible, it would seem, and won't even pay $500 more than they need to, even if the car is a top example
4. Had a few people talk about sports packs, so they are desirable - pricey though
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 05:05 AM   #13
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JameB View Post
Yes, we've had this discussion before. During the (still on-going) selling process of my E90, I have noticed a few things (for any members in Aus that want to take note)

1. People seem to be pretty keen on sunroofs
2. Artic doesn't seem to be a popular colour for resale
3. Most people enquiring are males and people won't move on price - not like when I was selling my coupe - people just want a 320 to get on the brand ladder as cheaply as possible, it would seem, and won't even pay $500 more than they need to, even if the car is a top example
4. Had a few people talk about sports packs, so they are desirable - pricey though
The must haves to top resale value according to a friend who ran a dealership for many years are;
1. Black is better, higher resale over any other colour & is never unfashionable.
2. Sportspacks are a must.
Why? A few reasons such as they are more appealing and will sell easier, but also they appeal to the younger demographic who take up a large part of the used bmw market.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 07:04 AM   #14
ed-320d
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prado 150, CT200h

Garage List
2012 Lexus  [0.00]
About resale value: It is nice to know that BMW has good resale value, but to me I am not purchasing a bimmer for its resale value. All I want is to enjoy the car that I like. I'll get what ever colour and options that suit me, dont care about resale.

About sunroof: I think it is personal. I (almost) never used my sunroof in my Kluger.
320d (E90) Sparkling Graphite, Bi-Xenon, Rear PDC, 17 Alloy 158(athome) 157 (On the car), Climate comfort Wscreen, Sport Steer, Electric Rear Blind, Mirror Package, Lemon interior with poplar trim, Comfort access, Partial Electric Seats, Through Loading and Adjustable Arm Rest
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)

Garage List
sunroof and tint are MUST

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #16
bimmerron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335

I was not going for sunroof on my e92 335. Had one on my e39 540 and thought I never used it. Then realised that I use it quite a bit when parked to let heat escape. (pop the back). Resale is also better, particularly on coupe. Got my 335 with sunroof, logic7, auto, shift paddles,alarm sytem, comfort screen & rear blind, also for heat/uv protection. Not sorry for any options ordered
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
recruiter
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue(manual)

I ordered without sunroof much to the surprise of the salesperson as his comment was "no one has a BMW without a sunroof"
Well my last two cars had an sunroof and i certainly had no problems selling but their is a lot of horror stories around, like jealous truckies spitting,birds pooping and the like.
I personnally have had dirt come in the car as i pulled into a car park and didn't notice the constuction shute as i pulled up. Also a twig of a tree while waiting in traffic. You also have noise and smell get in; so i do not like them. I must be getting old.
Roofs are popular with young fellas must have something to do with a chick magnet
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #18
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter View Post
I ordered without sunroof much to the surprise of the salesperson as his comment was "no one has a BMW without a sunroof"
Well my last two cars had an sunroof and i certainly had no problems selling but their is a lot of horror stories around, like jealous truckies spitting,birds pooping and the like.
I personnally have had dirt come in the car as i pulled into a car park and didn't notice the constuction shute as i pulled up. Also a twig of a tree while waiting in traffic. You also have noise and smell get in; so i do not like them. I must be getting old.
Roofs are popular with young fellas must have something to do with a chick magnet
Well, for the record, I don't have a sunroof in my E90 320i and have over 8K of other options on the car (and it is in pristine condition) and I have still had a very hard time selling it. I've sold 5 other new cars (including a 325Ci) in the past 6 years and this by far has been the hardest one to shift. I've had a few offers but have knocked them back. Funnily enough, even though the 320 is way cheaper than my 2004 325Ci was (by around 20K), it has lost the same amount in the first 12-18 months!

The market is flooded with 320s and so there are some good deals to be had...Personally, I won't ever be buying a base model BMW in Aus again as there are too many on the market and I probably won't be much worse off financially going for a lower specced (but sunroofed!) 325i.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #19
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

James .... I feel for you but I think the main reason you might be having a harder time shifting the car is because Australias economic conditions are changing. In the past 6 years we have gone from booms in stock market to booms in real estate and now things are settling down. If te BMW dealers were to speak truthfully, I think they would tell you the market is softer today than what is was 6 - 8 months ago. 5 weeks ago when I purchased mine, I push hard on my deal but they took $8K off their list price to lock in my deal (12.5% off the initial ask).

I also felt the pain when I sold my Alfa as the price shifting was clearly visable in a short period of time.

So .... I beleive it's not the car but more the market.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #20
JameB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Vgr, I think you are partially right, but BMW sales are supposedly increasing year on year. I also read that for the first time ever, Australian new car sales may reach the 1 million mark for 2007.

I suppose it is not like I haven't had any offers (I've had 5 now, 3 reasonable, 2 unreasonable), but it is just that people don't want to pay a higher Red Book price, for want of another benchmark.

I agree that this will partially be due to economic factors, such as high interest rates and people borrowing money to the limit (a person who bought my last car re-mortgaged his house to do it!).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #21
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
I suppose it is not like I haven't had any offers (I've had 5 now, 3 reasonable, 2 unreasonable), but it is just that people don't want to pay a higher Red Book price, for want of another benchmark.
i dunno, when i had the bimmer up for sale, 2 people offered me over asking price because they knew the other was going to buy it crazy people
      04-05-2007, 02:43 AM   #22
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Vgr, I think you are partially right, but BMW sales are supposedly increasing year on year. I also read that for the first time ever, Australian new car sales may reach the 1 million mark for 2007.

I agree that this will partially be due to economic factors, such as high interest rates and people borrowing money to the limit (a person who bought my last car re-mortgaged his house to do it!).
Sure sales are increasing but at what cost ??? Are margins lower ??? Are they putting rego on them and using more as service loan cars??? I see our local main dealer yard crammed with used service vehicles. Even the new coupes.

Don't forget, arch rival Mercedees has an old model competing with the E9x. No competition. The new C class due out later this year will hurt BMW no doubt and BMW will try to counter act with even more sweetners.
Appreciate 0