BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
blotto649
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '04 996 GT3/'88 911 Carrera

Exhaust tip removal

Anyone done this yet? I haven't had a good look just yet, but thought I'd see if anyone's got tips on how these come off.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

they're rivets,
I haven't looked up close yet, but they should be exactly the same as the ones on the M3
so rivets come off, change out the tips, rivet them back on
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

They are actually a friction fit and will slide right off if tapped carefully on a block of wood. Unfortunately haven't found a successful replacement. Would love to find something with a slightly larger diameter without the curved edge of the original. If anyone has found a source please let us know. Stock tips look a little cheap IMO.

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO1MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thM3 View Post
They are actually a friction fit and will slide right off if tapped carefully on a block of wood. Unfortunately haven't found a successful replacement. Would love to find something with a slightly larger diameter without the curved edge of the original. If anyone has found a source please let us know. Stock tips look a little cheap IMO.

Thx.
I agree, the stock tips look cheap and nasty. The poor quality plating only adds to that impression.

Are you sure they're friction fit ? I took a quick look and thought they were welded on ? They're definitely not riveted on like the M3 items.

I'm looking into alternatives using thick wall (1.5/2.0 mm) stainless tube like that used on the E46 M3. I plan to reduce the amount they stick out, slash cut the tips at 10/15 degrees and stagger them in line with the diffuser. Ideally I'd like them black or ceramic coated.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Van Driver View Post
I agree, the stock tips look cheap and nasty. The poor quality plating only adds to that impression.

Are you sure they're friction fit ? I took a quick look and thought they were welded on ? They're definitely not riveted on like the M3 items.

I'm looking into alternatives using thick wall (1.5/2.0 mm) stainless tube like that used on the E46 M3. I plan to reduce the amount they stick out, slash cut the tips at 10/15 degrees and stagger them in line with the diffuser. Ideally I'd like them black or ceramic coated.
I believe that Lightweight Titanauspuffanlagen (the same company which also made the Moto GP Safety Car style front lip) would make a stock exhaust tip replacement soon but maybe I am confusing it with another company (need my morning coffee!), can't check now but there was a mention somewhere.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Absolutely sure they are friction fit. I removed one of mine to try and adapt a carbon fiber tip I found but the inlet diameter was too small to fit over the exhaust tube (once the tip had been removed).

Tips are easy to take off but a little trickier to get back on straight. Just need to tap carefully and with equal force so that it doesn't get misaligned. It was no problem and about a 10 minute job without jacking up the car.

Let me know if you are successful in finding a shop that will fabricate new tips for you. I've had a hard time finding the right diameter and even harder to find the right length. (Sounds like a bad party joke)

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

They come off very easily. Actually too easy for my liking. You don't even have to tap them. Just a firm grip with a slight twist and they slide off.
They look so tinny and cheap now that I compare them to the meisterschaft tips.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Still looking for options. Don't want to replace the whole muffler. Love the sound with the Mad Dad midpipe. I may have to settle for bead blast an powder coat if I can't find an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Removed my tailpipes today.
They're located by small spring clips inside the trim. Mine were seized on, the RH tips came off with a tap from a rubber mallet, the left ones needed spraying with CorrosionX. Three minutes later they were off

I'm going to be running my car "naked" until I can find some replacments, as I dislike the standard tips.

At least "naked" they look more like the E46 M3 tips.
I measured the tips on my old E46 M3 CSL yesterday, they utilise very thick wall tubing (2.5mm) for the tailpipes and the outside diameter of the tubing is 65mm.

The 1M exhaust (not the trim) is 63.5mm and uses thin wall tube.
Now I've got the trims off, I'll be making enquiries about replacements.

Part of the issue with the standard tips is the rolled edge

The second is the fact that you can see the trim ends :

Because they don't extend sufficiently under the car to "hide the join".

Had the trim been extended another 50mm as indicated by the black arrow :

They'd look better.
The Evolve/Hartge Supersprint exhaust overcomes this issue by using longer tailpipes that are clearanced to allow them to slide over the exhaust and in the process leave no clue as to the position or size of the pipe they're connected to.

I noticed these trims are available for the E90 M3 for you guys in The States :

http://www.bimmian.com/Stainless-Exh...r-E93-3-Series

Available in matt and gloss black or polished/chrome.

They'd need some sleeves fabricating or turned to make them fit the 1m exhaust stubs, but they'd give the black,/slash cut discreet look that I'm after.

Dirk
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I totally agree with your comments. Think the rolled edge is the worst part and the short length is really bad too. Problem is that all of the other tips I've found are too long and required significant modification (particularly on the shorter inside pipes.

Actually may join you with the raw look. Like the clean edge much better. Are you going to paint or finish them or go natural?

If you end up trying the M3 pipes and can get them to work, let us know. Tempted to get a set and take them to my local shop and have them installed. Looks like they may have a slightly rolled end too though.

Anxious to hear how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

David
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Mhhhh, I like the "naked" look, without the tips. Might go the same way in a few weeks !
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

Anxiously awaiting a replacement tip option
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetech View Post
Anxiously awaiting a replacement tip option
Patience Grasshopper

I'm on it, should have some images and a "how to do it" by the end of the week.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #14
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anxious to hear what you come up with. Desperate to make a change. Been considering black chrome plating or powder coat but would love to be rid of the rolled edge.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:03 AM   #15
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thM3 View Post
Anxious to hear what you come up with. Desperate to make a change. Been considering black chrome plating or powder coat but would love to be rid of the rolled edge.
I think my solution should tick most of those boxes Fitment should be commencing tomorrow afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Having a clear bra fitted to the car tomorrow, it's expected to run into Saturday too. If the clear bra install is completed early on Saturday morning, the exhaust tip install will be on Saturday afternoon. If not, it'll be on Monday.

But here's a couple of teasers . . . .

Tips are 80mm OD, slash cut, internally rolled black chrome finish.
The original standard 1M items are 75mm OD. The Evolve silencer utilises 80mm OD tips, the Eisenmann items are 84mm, the Akra's 90mm.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Perfect Dirk...these mated with the maddad midpipes would be the perfect poor man's exhaust! Love it!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #18
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Where did you get the tips and how are you adapting them down to stock diameter? Did they come with the finish shown or did you have them refinished?

Look pretty nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #19
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Tips are supplied in black chrome finish.

The short stubs that I've photographed alongside the tips themselves, are the adaptors I've had made up to enable the fitment of the 80mm trim to the "naked" standard exhaust tailpipes.

The adaptor can be seen in the centre of the trim here :

The adaptor is slash cut to the same angle as the new trim, so the two items should fit together neatly in the same manner as the standard trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Well after having the clear bra fitted over last Friday and Saturday, along with a heavy fall of snow here in the UK, I finally managed to get down to the shop to get the new tips fitted.

Prior to removing the muffler from the car, we measured the existing "naked" stubs to establish how far the new tips would project from the diffuser when the conversion was complete. The general idea being to make the install look OE, and "stealthy".

With muffler removed within five minutes (two bolts and three rubber mountings) we cut the four stubs down by 3/8" and at a 20 degree angle

Once all four stubs were cut back

We them drilled the "adaptors" at the top and base with a 3/8" drill to enable the MIG welding required to secure them to the original stubs

MIG welded

Once welded, all the welds were dressed off flush with the surface of the adaptor to allow fitment of the exhaust trim.

We took the opportunity to paint the ends of "adaptors" (to ensure they won't corrode) and also the rear lower section of the muffler with high temp matt black paint (to reduce its visual impact when viewing the car from the rear)

The paint on the muffler has only just been applied in this image, hence the "patchy" look to the finish. Once it had dried, it was a perfect even matt finish.

Once dry, the muffler was re-fitted to the car and the trims pushed on to the adaptors.

A word of caution here, the tips are fit and forget. You'll only get one attempt to fit them, so they need to be perfectly aligned to ensure their internal bore/slash cut is at the correct angle to the adaptors.

The Akrapovic carbon or titanium tips alone currently retail at £909 GBP ($1375USD) over here in the UK, in addition to which there's 20% VAT to be added to that figure . . . . .

Great looking and sounding though the Akra slip on muffler is, I couldn't justify spending in excess of $4000 on it. Rest assured the money saved by not buying the Akra muffler will be spent on suspension and brake mods, a remap and custom intercooler
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Wow, those look great!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

If only something like this would be available...

Appreciate 0