E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Disable front turn signals as park lights

06-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
tomik
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Disable front turn signals as park lights

I have 335i e90 2007 US model and moving to Europe soon. In Europe the lights work little differently, for example rear fog light is mandatory. I have figured out that for that I only need new Euro spec light switch and that's it.

So the question is about the front parking lights. In US spec cars when using the parking lights it will turn on the front turn signals. That's not legal in EU, the front parking lights must be clear (maybe angel eyes??). Does anyone have experience how to do this with coding, or is it even possible without some HW modification?

Just for clarification, the turn signals must be amber.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tomik; 06-03-2011 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Toad335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI 335i

The "corner delete" mod is the option your looking for to eliminate the amber lights being on with your parking lights. This is done via coding.

You can either buy the switch from BMW or do the simple mod described in the DIY here
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
tomik
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Thanks! I now found it, once you told the magic words "corner delete"

Yes I'm going to change the light switch myself, thank for the link.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
David9962000
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

If your in socal www.ltbmw.com can do coding for you, including turning off the parking lights in the turn signal when you have your lights on.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Urban8r
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E90 (USA market)

Disable Corner - Park lights Front Turn signals

Greetings,

I'm new here and I just shipped my 328xi 2007 E90 from Detroit to Germany where I'm living.

I didn't have time to disable the front turn signals and now the local BMW dealers are giving me a hard time that they can't do it because "the computer system for American cars is different." I can't register my car here and drive it without disabling the front turn signals while the lights are on.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I already took it to a local/random garage recommended by a friend and they tried to hook it up to their computer with NO success. (328xi does not exist for the Euro market.)

I dont have xenon. Just HID in front. THANKS for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Urban8r
Rep

BTW - one BMW dealership - in Wiesbaden didn't even want to give me a quote for what it would cost to do. They simply said it can't be done, particularly the Fog light fix, which I know it's not true. Talk about crap customer service. Don't go to that one. They didn't even try. Over here, so far it seems the customer is always wrong. I'll try another dealership tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

^ buy a cable and code it yourself. My coworker in Germany just coded his 3 series with the info on this board.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Complete BS. Takes 5 minutes to code it in with NCSexpert
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Urban8r
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply guys...All I have is a laptop and I don't have a clue on how to get the software or even use it because I'm afraid I'll (according to one post) turn my car into a 1.5ton paperweight.

What bothers me the most is that my owners manual specifically provides instructions on how to disable the parking lights and daytime running lights manually by flipping through the menu and selecting the option "off" however even when I follow the instructions exactly, the lights are still on. Could it be that I have installed HID bulbs to substitute the regular light bulbs. I have an interceptor to prevent errors from being read, but this shouldn't effect it because those are separate blubs.

My owners manual says "this chapter is intended to provide you with information for complete control of your vehicle"

Why do I have to take it to a dealer then? This is insane and so frustrating. Am I overreacting?

On a positive note, I have found a mechanic who sounds promising and will take my car there next week. In the mean time, is there anyone who has also tried to follow the instructions to no avail? Though optimistic, every time so far, i've been told "they can't do it."

Goes to show, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

When I'm done, I'm going to post a blog about everything you have to do BEFORE you bring your car over to EUROPE.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Urban8r
Rep

daytime running lights in Germany

I was just at BMW in Mainz and they said they need to "reprogram the computer to make it European" in order to turn off the daytime running lights. In addition, they want 5 hours and EURO 250! Does anyone know someone who can do this near (west) of Frankfurt?

I did find a great mechanic by the Army base in Mainz. One thing he brought to my attention is that I might have to buy new headlights to pass the German TUV exam because the front lights don't move up and down like they do on European cars. It could be cause of the HID bulbs in there, but I dont think so. He even called the guy who does the TUV exam at his shop to ask if this would be a problem. Unfortunately it is and the lights have to be adjustable to pass. I didn't hear about this at the first place I went to. I'm a civilian so I have to register the car the German way.

He said it might not be worth it to try to turn off the front turn signals if the TUV will require adjustable beam headlamps anyway. He claims by changing the headlights, it should solve the daytime running lights, but I don't think this is possible either.

Seems like I hear something different from everyone while BMW dealer just wants to take advantage of you. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban8r View Post
I was just at BMW in Mainz and they said they need to "reprogram the computer to make it European" in order to turn off the daytime running lights. In addition, they want 5 hours and EURO 250! Does anyone know someone who can do this near (west) of Frankfurt?

I did find a great mechanic by the Army base in Mainz. One thing he brought to my attention is that I might have to buy new headlights to pass the German TUV exam because the front lights don't move up and down like they do on European cars. It could be cause of the HID bulbs in there, but I dont think so. He even called the guy who does the TUV exam at his shop to ask if this would be a problem. Unfortunately it is and the lights have to be adjustable to pass. I didn't hear about this at the first place I went to. I'm a civilian so I have to register the car the German way.

He said it might not be worth it to try to turn off the front turn signals if the TUV will require adjustable beam headlamps anyway. He claims by changing the headlights, it should solve the daytime running lights, but I don't think this is possible either.

Seems like I hear something different from everyone while BMW dealer just wants to take advantage of you. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
this is a simple coding fix. Find a remote coder in your time zone. There are a bunch of them on this board. They will ship you a cable. Plug one end into the car, the other into a laptop. Allow the coder to connect to your laptop and they can do the Corner Delete mod in about 30 seconds.

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Alpineweiss e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330xi

I wonder if there is an option within the VO to designate region.

If you can change that region to EU spec and code the entire car, it will change all the values as per EU spec including Euro markers, radio station frequency, etc.

BTW, a dealership will ALWAYS code the entire vehicle for programming/coding, which will take hours and requires the car to be connected to a power supply, NOT a battery maintainer. They do not have the knowledge to use NCSExpert. That is corporate level software. Dealers get DIS and GT1.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Dziqsek_
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: e91 320d

You are actually wrong sir ^^

Bmw dealers use isss ( ista D/P ) dis is sporadically in use these days.
Im in Urnan8r timezone , my best man already lives in Mainz BMW dealer in wiesbaden is so full of crap they cannot do anything with US spec cars thats why i have sooo much clients from Deutchland with us spec cars

Urban8r if you have some questions about german TUV test feel free to ask , they have same restrictions as most of EU countries
And yes if your car have halogen headlamps with HId you will not pass the test, in EU having headlamps washers and autolevelling system is mandatory with xenons . Plus light output have dofferent shape than us spec, US spec cars usually have flat beam like thi --- --- EU cars have light beam shape likemthis __/__/

If you have any questions about tests or coding just hit me up , remote coding is also available but you need your own cable , bought from ebay or from me .
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

^^ I would listen to ******* as he definitely is more knowledgeable than anyone that on this forum...Goto him to get you set up. Dealers are wacked that they need to reprogram the entire car...Just crazy
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 03:39 AM   #15
Urban8r
Rep

******* - Dziekuje serdecznie za rade. Jestem polskiego pochodzenia ale sie urodzilem w Detroit. Od dawna wieze ze Polak potrafi (widzialem wiele przykladow) i wlasnie szukalem jednego tutaj. Bylem u PL mechanika w Wiesbaden i jego komputer nie rozpoznal mojego 328xi. U turasa tez bylem i pudlo.

Thank you all for your posts and suggestions. The good mechanic in Mainz claims he can get a pc to do the coding for me on Monday...if that doesn't work, and I can't find another one or even do it myself, I may have to fork up the EUR 250

When I went to the TUV the first time, I went to a really cool guy who practically did everything without charging me and left me with a list of the 3 things to change. He said come back and I'm done. He must have experience with US cars.

To summarize for anyone who needs tips on US spec imports to EU: Here was the list of items I had to change and what I did to make them TUV ready

1. Back tail lights - need to be yellow, not red - easy fix just swapped out for yellow turn signal ones (BMW
2. Fog light in back must work - I replaced Headlight Switch - easy replacement to a EURO spec, even the back fog lights work even though BMW told me "US cars don't have a wire that illuminates the fog light in the back" (but take note, that it includes a leveling knob for changing the angle of the lights which does not move my lights. The mechanic said his TUV guy would not pass the car with this, but I called my guy and he said it doesn't matter for my car.
3. Turn off yellow front daytime running lights - corner delete mod - I still have to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

# 3 is the most simple out of the three. It just a matter of less than 5 minutes to change that coding. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #17
Urban8r
Rep

Thanks for your input guys.

3. Corner Delete mod

my car production date 19.03.2007

This is the cusp of the cable change. Which cable to I have to get? One cable on ebay just mentions cars built after "march 2007"

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
Dziqsek_
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: e91 320d

Dcan, - after 2007 just to be sure?

Pisalem ci z reszta na email
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
Urban8r
Rep

update May 31...******* was right. Mad props to him. Sorry I couldn't update the post earlier and let you all know the issue is closed.

I have been travelling so I have not had time to finish this and pass the TUV but will do so as soon as I get back in town.

I still have an appointment to speak with the head manager about the way they handled this...after they are done replacing my front headlight (which was covered under warranty) because the same one was replaced about 14 months ago after condensation would somehow gather on the inside...but that's another story. At least they're taking care of it as they should.

Thank you all again for your help. It's great that we can share tips and advice here, but hat a pain that we have to do so in instances where BMW doesn't want to help their loyal customers.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

The way BMW reacts is due to protective measures because of the much lower U.S. car prices.

BMW Germany will neither honor the BMW NA warranty (I have just seen a discussion about a blown M3 motor that had only 15000 miles) nor assist with making U.S. cars street-legal in Europe. The dealers do not even have the neccessary information on how to do this. You have to go to an independent coder or specialized importer.
      06-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #21
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

The easiest way to get rear fog lights is to buy the switch and install it. I did that on my 1 series because Inuse the fogs in bad weather.

The corner delete in NCSExpert will take care of your marker lights. In your Frm module, look for Sidemarker_US (search for the Sidemarker word) and set it to nicht_aktiv. I just did this on an M3 and a 3 series and the orange lights turn off. Looks neat!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #22
powerpete
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 2008

Coding help needed - Southwest Germany / Switzerland

Hi all,

I brought my 2008 e92 with me to Switzerland from Houston TX last year.
I had done all the changes - CoC, washers for xenons, ... -, this forum proved very helpful for all this!

Last outstanding issue is front amber lights: they need to be switched off when the headlamps or parking lights are switched on. That is required in order to pass the Swiss vehicle test.

From this thread, I understand this can be solved by using NCS-Expert ('Sidemarker_US set to nicht_aktiv achieves corner delete mod').

Any local coding expert in Switzerland or Southwest Germany (Freiburg/Stuttgart/Karlsruhe...) out here who could help me out? Unfortunately do not have cable for a remote session.

Thanks!
Cheers
Appreciate 0