E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Will I Need Lowering Perches?

06-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
PeteB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Will I Need Lowering Perches?

Hello, I'm about to install the old BMW performance suspension kit with my current ZSP springs. I've read positive impressions of this combo so far.

Unfortunately I can't PM yet because this is one of my first posts. I noticed AlanAZ mentioned:
"I have an early build E90, which had a sport pkg front strut mount that was soon revised. I put the old BMW performance suspension on, with heavier rear sway, keeping my sport pkg springs, Meyle HD front control arms, and the revised front strut mounts (1/2" taller -- surprise!)"

Was this revised with really early e90s only? I notice the quote above pertains to a 325i and I don't think I've heard much regarding this issue.

I have an 07 335i (e90) and I'm wondering: Do I need the revised mounts, and should I be using the lowering perches while installing the old BMW performance suspension (from the Tischer clearance sale)?

My guess is no, but you guys are experts, thanks for the feedback! PB
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Neph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i E92, Sport, 6MT

I installed the new BMW perf and am underwhelmed by the mild drop. so i am thinking of getting some lowering perches.

search both terms and you'll see the drop.

yes, you will need it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
mrj25
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 LCI

Talking

I have the old performance shocks/struts with the lowering perches installed on my 2011 e90 lci. Check out the pics

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Neph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i E92, Sport, 6MT

mrj25... nice drop.

can you tell me the height to your front wheel well? or finger gap (gives an idea).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
PeteB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

mrj25 That looks really awesome!

Thanks for the awesome reply and pics mrj25.
Dude, just really amazing. You made dark wheels on a white car look classy and great which I always thought could be possible. I also have AW, will post pics someday. So far I only have tint and beyern mesh wheels. I really want to touch up the paint on the front bumper this weekend!

Anyway, as I said your ride looks amazing, including the lowering perches. I would be interested in your impression of the ride quality with the new (old) performance suspension, and how it compares to the stock sport suspension.

But.. are the perches necessary to maintain the current height I have in the front? When I install this kit will it actually raise my height, making the need for perches to compensate for this, and lower back to original height?

Man that was a bad sentence. Or, are the perches used strictly to lower your car an additional .5" below the stock sport height (height I'm currently at).

If the performance kit raises the car then I believe I want the perches, otherwise the front does already seems pretty low. I think I mentioned I can't clear curbs as I'm sure you're all familiar with, and the underside of my bumber is probably pretty sad.
That said, your spacing and wheel gap with 19s, spacers, and perches looks phenomenal mrj25.
Thank you for any and all info you are willing to provide!
Sincerely, Peter Brandauer
ps- do the perches affect ride quality and bump absorbtion ability in any way? I heard they don't but I wanted to make sure they don't change, say, the travel distance of the shocks or springs. I always assumed you would have to compress your springs a bit or make things stiffer to accomodate perches.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Heres mine on H&R race with stock shocks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
PeteB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nice!

Dude Thanks.
I love those wheels!!!!!!!
Looks really good.

I had a hard time deciding on wheels. I wish I had at least a few sets.
And yeah, the height with the perches is cool! Thanks again, Pete
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
mrj25
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neph View Post
mrj25... nice drop.

can you tell me the height to your front wheel well? or finger gap (gives an idea).
Thanks! The height is about a finger and a half. So far I've put about 1000 miles with the suspension and the perches settle in to my expectations.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
mrj25
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
Thanks for the awesome reply and pics mrj25.
Dude, just really amazing. You made dark wheels on a white car look classy and great which I always thought could be possible. I also have AW, will post pics someday. So far I only have tint and beyern mesh wheels. I really want to touch up the paint on the front bumper this weekend!

Anyway, as I said your ride looks amazing, including the lowering perches. I would be interested in your impression of the ride quality with the new (old) performance suspension, and how it compares to the stock sport suspension.

But.. are the perches necessary to maintain the current height I have in the front? When I install this kit will it actually raise my height, making the need for perches to compensate for this, and lower back to original height?

Man that was a bad sentence. Or, are the perches used strictly to lower your car an additional .5" below the stock sport height (height I'm currently at).

If the performance kit raises the car then I believe I want the perches, otherwise the front does already seems pretty low. I think I mentioned I can't clear curbs as I'm sure you're all familiar with, and the underside of my bumber is probably pretty sad.
That said, your spacing and wheel gap with 19s, spacers, and perches looks phenomenal mrj25.
Thank you for any and all info you are willing to provide!
Sincerely, Peter Brandauer
ps- do the perches affect ride quality and bump absorbtion ability in any way? I heard they don't but I wanted to make sure they don't change, say, the travel distance of the shocks or springs. I always assumed you would have to compress your springs a bit or make things stiffer to accomodate perches.
Thank you Peter for the response and compliment! The performance shocks with the sport springs and perches provide IMO a stance not too low and perfect for daily driving. It looks very similar to the Eibach Pro Kit stance. I do have a steep driveway at home and with my performance front bumper I have to slightly angle as I do not scrape to park in my garage. As for speed bumps and dips, I do not have to angle but I still have to approach with caution, since dips and speed bumps were made to slow down As for the ride quality I would say it has improved over the stock sport suspension. The ride is smooth and rebounds well over little humps. If you want a conservative drop, I recommend going with this setup. Evan at Tischer also recommended that the performance shocks go well with sport springs as they were made for it.
Appreciate 0