E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > * Removing Front Grill *

05-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

* Removing Front Grill *

I'm about to install an AMS FMIC in a few weeks. I have the 2007 Sedan so it has the Pre face lift.. My front bumper has a lower attached grill connected to finishing rods. How would I go about completely removing that lower grill and the finishing rods all together?

Would this be safe? Or will the absence of a grill allow bugs and other larger critters to fly into the engine bay and wreck the FMIC and other things?

** Note, this is not the top grill.. this is the bottom part of the bumper that the FMIC sits behind **
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
D335NUTZ
The Blue Beast
China
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi in Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Vader View Post
I'm about to install an AMS FMIC in a few weeks. I have the 2007 Sedan so it has the Pre face lift.. My front bumper has a lower attached grill connected to finishing rods. How would I go about completely removing that lower grill and the finishing rods all together?

Would this be safe? Or will the absence of a grill allow bugs and other larger critters to fly into the engine bay and wreck the FMIC and other things?

** Note, this is not the top grill.. this is the bottom part of the bumper that the FMIC sits behind **
Im wondering the same as well. Pretty sure there would be no problem since WRXs and Evos both run FMICs without the grill. They are more flush with the bumper however.

Cobb AP Stage 2+ | BMS DCI | UR Catless DP | UR Chargepipe | Tial BV 50mm | BSH OCC | ETS FMIC | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | KWv1 Coilovers | Volk TE37 TC Kline Ed.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Vader View Post

I think it would be OK if the FMIC were blacked out.

Sometimes the absence of something that is usually there makes the vehicle seem incomplete, like, you couldn't make your mortgage payment, or you had an accident and that's why the gaping hole...but...if you feel comfortable about the questions others might pose with regard to the absence of your front bottom grill, then go for it!

Me, I would powdercoat/spray the FMIC black and take out the grill. Looks more aggressive, IMO. In fact, I recently eliminated the middle rod just to see how it looks and I like it without the rod...and the grill intact...despite the exposed guides.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep

You liked it without the finishing rods eh? I could not stand it with those things popping out!
I ordered my FMIC with the big AMS letters in black. Exposed will look much sexier I think, and since my car is COMPLETELY blacked aside from chrome lip black rims / chrome trim the silver FMIC with black writing will complete the look!
Black grill, Black emblems, blacked out headlights. I'll ask the mechanic to take the front bumper off when installing and cut the entire grill off and just get rid of it!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
domrep
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E93 335i

It's perfectly fine, the grill doesnt do much in terms of blocking chips since the gaps are so huge. I took mine off and exposed the AMS logo on mine but didnt like it, looked like something was missing. Ended up blacking out the entire lower grills and putting it back, looks a ton better imo. May help to also do a search, you've been on the forums long enough to know how to do that, and 95% of your questions you ask have been answered a billion times. To me that it just seems like you enjoy posting everytime you get a new mod like you have something to prove lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep

Nah, just an anti active social life..
Appreciate 0