E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > tint question

05-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Don_v
Rep
Drives: 3

tint question

Hi, I just got my windows tinted.

20% back and 55% front.

on the 55% it looks slightly purple (on the inside,looking out) when the sun shines directly through it.

tint looks black from the outside, and black from the inside, except when the sun is shining directly into the window.

this is only on the 55%. is this due to the tint being lighter? or is this not normal?

The back tint is 3M, not sure if he used the same brand on the front.

I plan on calling them tomorrow and asking, but wanted to hear your experiences on the situation incase he trys to say its normal if its not.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Atorsesh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 123

It depends on the quality of the tint. I think most cheap tint is very purple-ish. I have Llumar 5% wrapped around the back with 35% on the front. All of it is very black and always has been. At night the 5% makes the back of the car feel like you're in deep space.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Don_v
Rep

yea, I had originally just got the back windows done with the 20% 3M HP? and paid 170 with lifetime warranty.

then one of the back windows had to be re-done due to a huge white speck in the window.

while I was there the second time I told them to go ahead and do the fronts even though originally I was worried about being pulled over for them. he suggested 50% so as not to be so dark, but dark enough. I was hesitant and then he told me he had just got some 55% in, and he recommended I go with that. so he tinted the two front for 71.00

I love the look, but today when the sun was setting and it was low enough to shine directly though the side window, it had a purple hue to it. turned the car in the other directing and then the drivers side had a purple hue.

I'm not sure if that price qualifies as cheap tint or not? I can live with it if its normal, but if it shouldn't be like that then I would like it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Don_v
Rep

Well, I talked to them this morning. He says the front was also 3m and that the purple hue happens on some cars due to how the glass is made.

I think it has something to do with the stock UV manufactured into the glass and the light shining through that and through the tint at the same time produces the effect.

Does this sound reasonable?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Atorsesh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 123

It could be possible but I'm far from being a tint expert. I would give 3M a call and see what they say. 3M does not make crap products and I'm sure they can give you an answer.
Appreciate 0