E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Where can I find European headlights?

05-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
asuresh8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 911 C4s

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Where can I find European headlights?

So, I am in Europe for three months, and I was wondering if parts are cheaper in Europe than in the US, specifically the auto adjusting bi-xenon lights. I really want the Euro style headlights, and I was wondering if I could save money by getting them here. If so, where in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Generally the headlights that come out of Europe are non-AHL and a) won't turn with your steering wheel (imo one of the coolest features of our cars and b) will throw an error unless you have it coded out.

I recommend finding a BMW parts place and asking them to give you some of the clear reflectors from inside the headlight housings. They won't be easy to remove, but if they have busted up headlights, they should be willing to let them go for cheap. You can ask them (or DIY while there) to remove the reflectors by using a dremel to cut the lens off, after which taking out the reflector should be pretty easy.

Once you have the clear reflectors, you can replace the reflectors in your current headlights by heating them up, opening them, and resealing. I wasn't too excited to do the procedure knowing how expensive they are, so I asked a member who's done this several times to open them up for me, after which I took over by cleaning all excess glue, swapping reflectors and resealing, which was by no means difficult. I've since bought 2 Xenon housings on eBay for $30-40 a piece and have learned to do it myself.

I recommend this process as you'll have your original headlights, won't have to deal with losing AHL function/errors, and will spend less in the long run.

I bought a pair of clear reflectors from a forum member about a year ago and have never seen another pair FS. Bring back several sets and I'm sure you could make a few extra $$
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
asuresh8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 911 C4s

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds like a solid plan
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Szemenyei