E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Tint question

05-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
freddiefritz
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Tint question

So my wife took in my new e92 to get the windows tinted today while I was working. These guys do all the work for the local dealer and lots of other places and they really seem to know their stuff. The problem is, when I got home I noticed that they cut the tint off on the rear just below the window "bubbles". My last car an e90 had the tint all around the rear window. My question is, is this normal (is is bad/not possible to put it all they way up) or are they just being lazy? Please help me out, as I don't want to roll in there bitching at them only to look like a dumbass. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
xtommy93x
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328xi coupe

My e92 is tinted all the way up i got mine done about amonth ago and i ha togo back like a week later for them to completly smooth it out now its perfect
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
I had a local shop, Auto Image of Brick NJ, with a decent reputation tint the windows on my 2011 328xi Coupe. They used 3M CS 50% tint, and they did a good job for the most part, except for the dot matrix which was a total mess. To my horror when I walked to the car, i could see how bad it looked. The car had less than 200 miles on it. The guy says, just give it a month it'll all even out. Well, after 6 weeks, and 2000 miles, it did not even out.

I got a referral to Coastal Window Tinting of Toms River NJ. He was able to fix their mess and do it right with minimum invasion... The right installer makes all the difference in the world. The original shop did not take the extra time and few extra steps necessary to complete the job properly.

He cut the tint at the dot matrix and added a vinyl strip on over the dots. Used a template, heat gun, and cut it in. I think it came out great, no glue, no mess. Its perfect from the inside and looks finished from the outside.

I saw in the forums here the issues people were having only after I got stuck myself. I should have searched first and been more careful about shops and what cars they have experience with...

Last edited by B-737; 05-15-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

It can be done properly if the shop knows what they're doing and uses an adhesive to hold the film on toward the top, here's mine: